[dykid] Japan Kansai Trip 2012 - Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, Amanohashidate, Okayama

dykid

Dec 24, 2010
It's my second trip to Japan within a year and I would like to share my photos with all of you here.

After my second trip, it seems that the cost of living outside Tokyo is not as insane as it was thought to be, although transport costs is still pretty much an killer with fares starting from around 3SGD for just a train station ride.

Anyway, here's my itinerary for the trip:

Day 1: Fushimi Inari Shrine, Higashiyama
Day 2: Day Trip to Nara
Day 3: Arashiyama, Kinkakuji Temple
Day 4: Day Trip to Kobe
Day 5: Random Places in Kyoto
Day 6: Amanohashidate
Day 7: Okayama
Day 8-10: Osaka
Day 11: Universal Studios Japan

For the trip, we used Kansai Wide Area Pass (by JR) and Kansai Thru Pass, and they proved to be pretty useful. Within the cities, we used Osaka 2 Days Pass and Kyoto Day Pass, turned out to be pretty worth it too.

Anyway I don't think I will post my photos in chronological order, since when I sorted them, I sorted them in the order of interesting-ness. =P

So I took the flight to Kansai Airport at midnight. It was really a lucky day because the sky was really clear that night. When I peeked out of the window, I could really see blanket of stars outside the plane and it was really beautiful. Well, I wished I could take a proper picture of it, but below is what I left with. So looks like it will always be part the memories etched in my mind.

1)

DSC_0018 by dykid, on Flickr

Last edited:
Day 1: Fushimi Inari Shrine

From japan-guide.com:

Fushimi Inari Shrine (伏見稲荷大社, Fushimi Inari Taisha) is an important Shinto shrine in southern Kyoto. It is famous for its thousands of vermilion torii gates, which straddle a network of trails behind its main buildings. The trails lead into the wooded forest of the sacred Mount Inari, which stands at 233 meters and belongs to the shrine grounds.

So it was indeed mother of Tori gates, the Tori gates were indeed endless. We didn't complete the entire trail (me being the limited factor because of my lousy stamina), but we managed to reach roughly halfway point and from there we were able to view the Kyoto city itself.

2)

DSC_0053 by dykid, on Flickr

So apparently they were preparing for some festival in the coming weeks!

3)

DSC_0062 by dykid, on Flickr

Students? Working adults? I have no idea!

4)

DSC_0064 by dykid, on Flickr

And off they go!

5)

DSC_0083 by dykid, on Flickr

Anyone fancy some ninja umbrellas?

6)

DSC_0087 by dykid, on Flickr

Even their god's messenger is so cute haha..

7)

DSC_0155 by dykid, on Flickr

So here we are, the mother of Tori gates. So I guess if you pay some money and donate a gate, your name will be up there...

8)

DSC_0167 by dykid, on Flickr

We were greeted by this during the entire trails, makes me wonder how long did they use to build the entire trail...

9)

DSC_0103 by dykid, on Flickr

Make a wish!

10)

DSC_0099 by dykid, on Flickr

It's not cheap to make a wish though, think this cost about 800 yen, but it's really pretty to keep it just for memories.

Arashiyama

11)

DSC_0497 by dykid, on Flickr

The next day when we head to Arashiyama, we went to take this this Sagano train that is suppose to bring us sightsee the valleys along the way. Supposingly it is a good way to admire the autumn foilage, but...

12)

DSC_0519 by dykid, on Flickr

we came abit too late... the trees were all well prepared for winter already, except for the few slowpokes..

13)

DSC_0536 by dykid, on Flickr

Nevertheless, at the end of the ride, we were welcomed by this horse and its owner. So apparently now Santa sends his presents using horse, not reindeer!

14)

8382446770_a6446d92ac.jpg

Fighting against the tide!