DVD write & verify

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
I am using Pioneer DVD writer for my backup. Notice that after every DVD write there is DVD verify. Anyone knows what is the purpose of the DVD verify? It takes a lot of time to write, then takes equally a lot of time to verify. If I "skip" the verify process, will the backup be at risk?

hmmm... personally i dont verify my burnt DVD or CD.... till date, only 1 out of 1000 disc is actually spoilt straight after burning.

If you are burning important data, maybe u still want to skip the verification, just put the DVD/CD in and check it manually (usually if it's good, the things appear, otherwise, it will be weird characters or unreadable form)

Hope my experience helps~

ernest_ted said:
idea of verify to make sure the copied disc has copied the correct contents, and no errors.

is this the same like doing a Simulation b4 burning ??

no. simulation is just a "test" write before the actual to see if the system can provide sufficient performance. nothing is actually written. verify is done after the disk is written to check the files against originals.

I remember in the old days, (floppy disk era), "verify" refer to comparing the file size or the checksum. However, in current DVD era, "verify" looks like they need to compare the file one by one?

mpenza said:
no. simulation is just a "test" write before the actual to see if the system can provide sufficient performance. nothing is actually written. verify is done after the disk is written to check the files against originals.

hmm.. i am also using a P-DVD writer.. how come no verify ??

k3nn3th03 said:
hmm.. i am also using a P-DVD writer.. how come no verify ??

its the software that u shld be able to check a box to verify or not.
for me, i do not verify, at most i'll just play the video(if video disc, FF a bit..drag to end), or if data file, just open a few files to check.

to do expert checking go HWZ and search, pple there have special software to check if your disc is dying eg after 6mths etc...if so..then back it up again. for me, i'll just get gd quality discs, eg fujifilm TY DVDs.

Have fun burning!

Status
Not open for further replies.