Dust in viewfinder cannot remove how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystix

Jan 18, 2002
Planet Earth
Visit site
I went out shooting today with my eos30 and against the bright sunshine i noticed that there was some dust when i view thru the viewfinder.
initially i thought it was the lens dirty so i cleaned it and put it back but i still saw the same thing again.
i already cleaned the exterior of the viewfinder also still the same.
what should i do now? somehow i suspect its the internal optics

Its probably some dust on your mirror or the prism. It happens all the time. Use a blower and gently blow it away with your camera tilt downwards. Don't worry if you can't get all of them out. Your final image will not be affected.

oic thanks 4 de info... then i try again...
juz now used anti static brush to clean the mirror but still got. will try using blower now.

Try not to touch the mirror even with a lens cleaning cloth. From my own experence, I made the dust even worse by doing that. Just use a blower to blow away the dust on the mirror.

Originally posted by Mystix
oic thanks 4 de info... then i try again...
juz now used anti static brush to clean the mirror but still got. will try using blower now.

I think its too late but I would advise NOT TO TOUCH THE MIRROR in any situation.

Like I said, use an air blower and GENTLY blow towards the top of the mirror. I'll say this again, its not going to affect your final image. I advise you to stop before something nasty really happen.

ahhhh die i touch the mirror liao! :eek::eek:
y can't we touch the mirror? i only used my microfibre cloth to gently wipe across it...like that also will damage?

Been there, done that. While changing the focussing screen on my camera, I left some finger prints on the mirror. Brought it down to Nikon and was advised by the technician to leave mirror cleaning to them. I take this kind of advice very seriously.

I'll say this again. A few speck of dust WILL NOT AFFECT YOUR FINAL IMAGES.

Any residue or etching on the mirror will have effect on the camera's autofocus system I was told.

The mirror is where the shutter actually is and will flip up to do an exposure when you click the shutter. If you understand pinhole theory, you would know that the viewfinder or the mirror will not in anyway affect the final image. The trick of keeping your body clean is not to open them up so often. This will create more chance of getting it dirtied. Well, mystix my advise to you is to stop fiddling it with it. If the dirt still fustrate you, you should use a good blower as advised by many people here. Alternatively, you can also use a piece of new and good silk to wipe your mirror. Only do this after you give the mirror a good blow. If the stain still doesn't come off, it probably scratches. It won't affect your image so no need to get paranoid.

I think you may be cleaning the wrong thing. Since the mirror is not the plane for projection, any dust trapped on the surface of the mirror will not show up in your viewfinder. A better guess would be the focusing screen. That is where you image is projected, a tiny speck of dust would look very obvious through the viewfinder if it resides on the screen instead.

However, if you must do something, either use a blower or live in regret.

Status
Not open for further replies.