DSLR Viewfinders

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Hi,

Since almost all the DSLRs out there have a 1.3-1.7x FLM / FoV crop, I wonder why camera makers can't have a 100% or more viewfinder. Instead, we have smallish 95% viewfinders. :( It appears like some viewfinders like that of the S2 Pro is masked, so isn't it possible to mask a bit less to get 100%? Or am I missing something?

:confused:

Regards
CK

Yeah, thats probably my biggest bugbear about DSLRs - the "masked off" viewfinders.

No idea why they didn't go the extra few yards (especially for those that cost > US$5K) and make the pentaprism or whatever it is show an image which is as big as ordinary SLRs.

Having said that, Canon's EOS10D is probably a step in the right direction with purpose built mirror box and shutter mechanisms, and (based upon my cursory examination a month ago) seems to be a larger viewfinder image.

Originally posted by Darren
Yeah, thats probably my biggest bugbear about DSLRs - the "masked off" viewfinders.

No idea why they didn't go the extra few yards (especially for those that cost > US$5K) and make the pentaprism or whatever it is show an image which is as big as ordinary SLRs.

Having said that, Canon's EOS10D is probably a step in the right direction with purpose built mirror box and shutter mechanisms, and (based upon my cursory examination a month ago) seems to be a larger viewfinder image.

Not so much of a larger image, but one with a bigger coverage. Since it's essentially masked out, I don't see why they can't mask less. :confused:

The D100, D1X, etc are also purpose-built what. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Not so much of a larger image, but one with a bigger coverage. Since it's essentially masked out, I don't see why they can't mask less. :confused:

it is possible that there are some electronic components at the side of the viewfinder, if they are not masked and show u 100%, u will see these electronic components lying around or stick out from the side?

hmm...but why film body dun have leh? not sure...just anyhow guess only :D

I think there must be some differentiation between a prosumer model and a professional model. IMO, the manufactuer has to develop its product line to have some form of product differentiation to entice users to progress to purchase a higher end product. So, I suppose it's not they can't do it but they rather not do it. Its the same for film, semi-pro models dont have 100%, only pro models have it.

Originally posted by reflecx
A bit OT, but I would rather have a big viewfinder showing 90% than a small one showing 100% :bsmilie:

I agree 100% :bsmilie:

Originally posted by nivlekx
I think there must be some differentiation between a prosumer model and a professional model.

this is the real reason, IMHO.

anything less than wat the manufacturers deem as pro bodies gets u small, not as bright, less contrasty viewfinders....

the difference in the viewfinder between a EOS 1v and the EOS 30 / 10D is painfully obvious :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.