DSLR recommendations?

Thanks for the replies guys! :)

Kx seems to fit my budget quite well. f2.8 creates a nice effect too. Lenses wise, is Tamron a good choice? How does it fare compared to Pentax original lenses?

Will want to test the camera and lenses in question personally too. Don't think I want to wait long, should be getting it in a month or two. :D

My vote goes to Sony SLT A33 w/ 18-55 kit(or if you can wait till end Sept - A55) + DT 50/1.8 SAM lens.

Next comes Pentax Kx w/ kit 18-55 / 50-300 dual lens kit. (Pentax 50mm prime is more costly)

You can't go wrong with either one.

Hi I am a casual user and I intend to get my first DSLR or EVF.

I have no preference over APS-C or micro 4/3 and intend to upgrade from PnS since I cannot achieve the effects I want. I will like to create bokeh and wide angle shots.

Currently I am looking at Canon EOS 500D. It seems to be a bang-for-bucks entry level camera. Are there other budget cameras I can consider? Lenses wise, I am looking at an f/2.8 for shallow depth of field and I would like to hear some wide-angle lenses recommendations too.

Sorry for the noob questions. I would like to start out photography on a minimal budget first. Any advice will be appreciated. :)

EDIT: I just found this topic, I will read up on it later. thanks. :)

If u r intending to get Canon 500D, may I suggest the Pentax k-x instead. Both cameras are pretty similar, and k-x is much cheaper than the 500D.

Or if u wanna spend abit more, the Sony A33 is the newest DSLR on the market, with even more functions than the 500D and k-x, not to mention its much faster than the 2 of them in lots of ways, including live view, video, frames rates etc. At $899, the A33 is abit more expensive than the k-x, but still cheaper than the 500D.

Basically, for the sub $1000 DSLR segment, its a fight between A33 (functions) and K-X (value) now. The other sub $1000 DSLRs dont seem to offer any better price/performance than the 2 of them.

Last edited:
Some people start photography with a $1000 budget while others start with a $2000 budget.So which group do you belong to?Anyway,here's a compilation of the latest entry-level DSLRs:

Canon EOS 1000D/450D/500D/550D
Nikon D3000/3100/5000
Sony A230/290/330/380/390
Pentax K-x
Olympus E450

Go and do some basic research on these cameras and select those that suit your needs and budget:)

And one last thing,please do not get DSLRs from IT/PC show/Comex/Sitex...

why dont get cameras from itshows and comex and stuff?

why dont get cameras from itshows and comex and stuff?
Upper right hand ... there is a Search function. Just search for these shows .. plenty of feedback. Enjoy reading.

The Comex show price is so attrative with dry cabinet throw in + the usual freebies. Where can get such stuff for so cheap price?:cool:

Actually it depends. There is almost NEVER a good reason to get from those shows, and I'm usually one of the first to slam the idea of getting something from there. But take a look at the sony offer:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756005

A550 + 16GB card + Bag + Tripod + LCD picture viewer + screen protector for only $899. Not bad actually. So I stand corrected, sometimes it can be ok to get there, if you do your research first.

Last edited:
Is the bulk and weight of the camera an important factor?

I find it strange that m43 and APS-C ILC alternatives have hardly been discussed. :-o

A550 + 16GB card + Bag + Tripod + LCD picture viewer + screen protector for only $899. Not bad actually. So I stand corrected, sometimes it can be ok to get there, if you do your research first.

Manz ! ...this deal kinda overrides everything thats been said here !

Manz ! ...this deal kinda overrides everything thats been said here !
It's one offer among how many offerings of the scheme "RRP + nearly useless freebies"?

Is the bulk and weight of the camera an important factor?

I find it strange that m43 and APS-C ILC alternatives have hardly been discussed. :-o

No ah, we have a dedicated m4/3 forum plus dedicated threads for nx10 n nex cameras . So they are widely discussed . Anyway ts mentioned he want dslr so no need to talk about those cameras le.

I think my advise is first time getting dslr , think about then system instead of the camera model . As to which system is better, you probably want to think about how far you wish to venture into photography as a hobby le :)

No ah, we have a dedicated m4/3 forum plus dedicated threads for nx10 n nex cameras . So they are widely discussed . Anyway ts mentioned he want dslr so no need to talk about those cameras le.

I think my advise is first time getting dslr , think about then system instead of the camera model . As to which system is better, you probably want to think about how far you wish to venture into photography as a hobby le :)

A body with a few lenses (maximum 3 or 4 I suppose, over the course of a few years) is where I see myself. Unless I really fall in love with photography, that should be it. :)

Anyway thanks guys, I bought my Pentax K-X with Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 lens from SLRR. Couldn't find the Tamron one without paying premium for it.

It's a great buy! :thumbsup:

A body with a few lenses (maximum 3 or 4 I suppose, over the course of a few years) is where I see myself. Unless I really fall in love with photography, that should be it. :)

Anyway thanks guys, I bought my Pentax K-X with Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 lens from SLRR. Couldn't find the Tamron one without paying premium for it.

It's a great buy! :thumbsup:

Congrats and hope you enjoy shooting with it :)

i'm looking for a canon DSLR. any recommendation?

budget about 2.5 - 3 k

Last edited:
well, if you are just getting into photography and looking for a dslr, frankly, any one will do - pentax, sony, nikon, canon, olympus.. they are all good cameras ... just try all of them, see which one gives you the right feel and buy that one...

@tinkerbellz - if you have 2K and want canon, 550d + 2 lenses.... if you have half the money, pentax k-x with 2 lenses

This question pops up every week.Please kindy do a search...

And you asked this question before(There are already advice given to you in that thread): http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683422

Aiyo...Bro cleonbus...repeat question only mah. Since you saw the question again, cut and paste here then also can boost count lah.

Jokes aside...I think some people are just asking for fun. :cool: