DSLR Reccomendations

Its quite obvious that the TS is obviously after one particular thing...shallow DOF photography. Secondary seems to me looks, then price. A bit like me when i started, except i didnt care about looks

IMO of the options listed, something like a 500D/550D combined with a cheap 50mm f/1.8 is the best way to start. It meets all her objectives, esp the shallow depth of field part, which will be tough on a smaller sensor camera, all at very affordable cost.

This is exactly where Pentax outshines Canon.

f/1.7 > f/1.8
1.5x Crop Factor > 1.6x Crop Factor

The differences are probably marginal though. Please don't imply that one system is better than the other without doing research ;)

Maybe she will even fall in love with shallow DOF and end up getting a 1D + 85mm f/1.2 :) :) :)

And get a Noctilux or the Canon 50mm f/0.95 too right?

Wait, why a cropped sensor 1D when she can take the full-frame 5DmkII?

:sweat:

Yes,
I heard the 550D has alot of lens to choose from.

Firstly, I don't think I will want to get a 2nd hand DSLR.
I'm afraid it is faulty.
I'll rather pay abit more to get a Brand New one. :)

But between the 550D & KX, Plus Price, think everyone would agree that the KX is more worth it?

And KX has colours!! LOLS

Think I've already settled for the White KX. :)

Just waiting for end of this month when I get the money then I'll purchase it. :)

As for what kind of lens (2nd hand), budget 100 - 300 is good for a good DOF pic, I don't know much.

I don't even understand the many numbers you guys are fighting about. :p

I was from Nafa too... So u would have probably used their 30D's right. Why not go for a 50D then. Or a Nikon D90 would also make a lovely choice. I personally would pick either canon or nikon. But not the entry models...

As for what kind of lens (2nd hand), budget 100 - 300 is good for a good DOF pic, I don't know much.

You'll probably be very happy with a 50mm F1.8. You need to use your legs to zoom for that lens ;p

Yes,

I'm afraid it is faulty.

But between the 550D & KX, Plus Price, think everyone would agree that the KX is more worth it?

Just waiting for end of this month when I get the money then I'll purchase it. :)

Yeah good choice, me too had a Red pentax K-x. been with me for almost two month on complain at all. Please do get the dual lens(but too bad, for dual len i don't think there's color to choose from.

Anyway if you wanna buy the camera you can try SLR revolution, through my reseach i found out that they are the cheapest in singapore already. And you may also like to buy the Tamron 70-300mm f4.5-5.6, although this len is quite slow, but it's cheap and can produce good image.

For more info about Pentax K-x please do go to the pentax forum, in the forum you will find more experts and they are really very helpful too.

Yes,

I'm afraid it is faulty.

You better reserve a set first as white sets will normally sold out first when stocks come in.By the way,you should type K-x(the digital one),not KX(the film one):)

Hmm

Essentially , to make a good decision to buy , you probably want to disregard brand for a moment , and start to look at specifically the type of lenses and the general characteristics of lens.

To aid you , you will probably want to get fast lenses with constant aperture from 1.4 to 2.8. Earlier on , these numbers has surfaced when the series of pentax lenses was shown. The down side of fast lens is that they tend to be pricier.

The next decision to make is how wide or how much narrow you want to shoot. 18mm-24mm , considered to be wide lenses. 50mm to , 70mm are considered normal to long , 200mm and beyond tele.

Lens with fixed length are known as primes , they tend to be lenses with big apertures , that produce very milky bokeh wide open.

Lens with varying lengths are known as zooms ( 11-14 Ultra wide zoom, 18-24 wide zoom , 18-50mm normal zoom , 50-200mm telezoom)

for general shooting , 17-55mm , should be good for scenery and group pictures. 200mm onwards mainly for shooting far away objects , like birds , animals .

To get shallow DoF , you can get the fast prime lenses ,but you might need to get different primes to suit difference suitable needs from wide to tele. Fast zoom lenses ( zoom lens with big apertures 2.8 ) are convinent but are very expensive and heavy.

Alternatively , you can also get a long lens around 70mm to 200mm lens with variable aperture F3.5-5.6 , you will get the shallow DoF effect when used appropriately.
Long lens with smaller apertures are generally cheaper than fast primes.

Hope that helps.

???

Use my legs?

What the guy mean is that the lens only has single focal length. To zoom in, you have to walk closer to the subject, and to zoom out you'll have to walk further away from the subject. That's what it means by use leg.....

Joking lah...

Seriously to use the lens in zooming operation: shake your left leg to zoom in, and shake your right leg to zoom out.

Yes,

I'm afraid it is faulty.

Since you have to wait till end of this month then you will have the money to buy, tempt u abit more. Look at this link: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520858&page=18
And also look at this http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520858&page=19

Colour Kx is always so nice :D

Yellow is NICE~
But Singapore cant get.
SO SAD!!

Yeah loh, can't get in Singapore unless you get someone to get it from you from japan or order online.

Do try to remove the term "good DOF" from your vocabulary... :angel:
There is no such thing as 'good' or 'bad' Depth of Field. It is usually described as thin/narrow or large/deep.

If you're talking about photos where the subject stands out from the background because the subject is sharp whilst the background is very blur, then you're referring to photography with thin DOF to isolate the subject.

If all else is consistent (eg. focal length, camera--->subject distance) and you take 2 photos at f/1.8 and f/2.8, the f/1.8 photo will have a thinner DOF, so the background will be more blur than that taken at f/2.8
Clear enough? HTH...