dry cabinet dos & don'ts - from the horse's mouth

yeah i'm planning to clean most of them.. i got them from my dad seems that he has several different slrs and lenses.....

where's a good place to send lens for cleaning? does the brand matter? (mine is mostly nikon lens). any price estimates? I heard it is quite costly :-(

where's a good place to send lens for cleaning? does the brand matter? (mine is mostly nikon lens). any price estimates? I heard it is quite costly :-(

What's the matter with the lens? If it's just dust, live with it. Fungus, can try contacting David. His username is Fatigue here on clubsnap.

dry cabinet ; basically just absorb the moisture in the cabinet. with room temp
hui tong ( digi cabi)TE Cooling method is use Condensation technique to absorb the moisture in the cabinet. Logically is should not make anything “plastic” to crack or melt. unless temperature or UV is apply.

Plastic = Plastics can be classified in many ways, but most commonly by their polymer backbone (polyvinyl chloride, polyethylene, polymethyl methacrylate, and other acrylics, silicones, polyurethanes, etc.). yet most plastic is not hygroscopic but some PU( polyurethanes ) is hygroscopic; there might be other i'm not sure :think:

but i only know PU( polyurethanes ) is sensitve to air. and i know PU is used to make seal in most electrical gadget. :eek: this might be dangerous in some of the camera and u might notice seal start to melt or crack.

in humidity technology most common accuracy is +- 5%. so as long is below 50% ur lens should be save: but is recommend to go for digital control not digital display cabinet.

this might explain why some customer complain on their unit is not functioning or i should say not accurate.

(huitong) digicabi = digital display series but analog control.
i notice the digital meter sampling rate is very very slow (means less sensitive to measure but easy to control) means most user will not notice the accuracy is out. might +- 10% :eek:
and y battery operated?? :think: should be mainteance free?? but outlook is good

i have't got change to test the digital control series so no comment

but is it better if you can do calibration (offset feature) on the digital control series. if not don't waste ur $$$

it is always better u have a RH% meter to check. ( depends on individual need )

Wonderfull / am pro / toyo / eureka ..etc= analog control using dessicant tech
the only disadvantages is using PTC heater. means high power consumption. during start up power consumption might go up to 80W after it reach heating point is power drop back around 20W. difficult to notice cabinet is function or not. less accurate.

to test your analog or digital hygrometer. place ur hygrometer in a air cond room. after an hr the room should be stable around 45% - 55 % if your meter is showing below 40% or higher65% means is out. make sure close all window and door to test. :D

:

but i only know PU( polyurethanes ) is sensitve to air. and i know PU is used to make seal in most electrical gadget. this might be dangerous in some of the camera and u might notice seal start to melt or crack. :

You can check Wikipedia for more details. But please don't use phrases like "it might be in some ways" or so. This is rather creating FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) than a helpful advice. If you know about verified cases and the conditions and circumstance it would be helpful for all of us to know.

(huitong) digicabi = digital display series but analog control.
i notice the digital meter sampling rate is very very slow (means less sensitive to measure but easy to control) means most user will not notice the accuracy is out. might +- 10% :eek:
and y battery operated?? should be mainteance free?? but outlook is good
:
Why do you need a high sampling rate? The parameter monitored is not changing rapidly (especially in cabinets with larger volume), therefore the slow sampling rate is sufficient.
LCD displays don't work without a little bit of electrical power. So it is maintenance free as of you don't need to do oil service ;) Just replace the battery once in a couple of years.

but is it better if you can do calibration (offset feature) on the digital control series. if not don't waste ur $$$
it is always better u have a RH% meter to check. ( depends on individual need )
:
High accuracy is really not necessary. We are talking about storing equipment for daily usage (even outside), not preserving valuable items of sensitive material and high age.
Get a second hygrometer (analog one, they are free of maintenance and don't need batteries) and place it in dry cabinet also. If both show the same result (+/-5%, they are both uncalibrated) everything's fine.

to test your analog or digital hygrometer. place ur hygrometer in a air cond room. after an hr the room should be stable around 45% - 55 % if your meter is showing below 40% or higher65% means is out. make sure close all window and door to test. :D
:

Earlier you recommend high accuracy and now you want to test your instrument this way? :think: That doesn't fit together. The RH in an air-conditioned room is subject to a lot of parameters and I wouldn't dare to guess what it is, let alone use it to check instruments.

reply =OctarineYou can check Wikipedia for more details. But please don't use phrases like "it might be in some ways" or so. This is rather creating FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) than a helpful advice. If you know about verified cases and the conditions and circumstance it would be helpful for all of us to know.

FUD is good. it make the industri to be alert. more ppl have FUD the more ppl will find out better than don't know and keep guessing.

reason why i say so is b'coz is all base on my industri exprerience. as PU roller store in a normal cabinet for 2 yrs starting to soft.

Why do you need a high sampling rate? The parameter monitored is not changing rapidly (especially in cabinets with larger volume), therefore the slow sampling rate is sufficient.
LCD displays don't work without a little bit of electrical power. So it is maintenance free as of you don't need to do oil service ;) Just replace the battery once in a couple of years.

for those user who don't mind lower accuracy - it is ok with the present tech to store ur thing.
for user who having dout why hygrometer is not accurate. u need a faster sampling rate it is becoz the faster the sampling(feedback) the better the control. for analog control since the sampling is slow so the user will have slower feedback control or adjust the power to the dry module.

yet you still need to change battery rite, no mather how long it takes .?? so is not maintenace free in my opnion. another thing is if battery is week will it effect ur reading.? yet this is a another problem. user normally won't consider this problem.

High accuracy is really not necessary. We are talking about storing equipment for daily usage (even outside), not preserving valuable items of sensitive material and high age.
Get a second hygrometer (analog one, they are free of maintenance and don't need batteries) and place it in dry cabinet also. If both show the same result (+/-5%, they are both uncalibrated) everything's fine.

yes i agree what you say.. yet is depends on user weather they need accurate measurement or not.

my opinion is since you are buying a " dehumidifier cabinet " of coz i will prefer a beter performance cabinet. yet price remain low .....hehehe

Earlier you recommend high accuracy and now you want to test your instrument this way? :think: That doesn't fit together. The RH in an air-conditioned room is subject to a lot of parameters and I wouldn't dare to guess what it is, let alone use it to check instruments.

the reason i say so is. this is one of the way to check ur hygrometer for a normal user. yes i agree is subject to some parameter. this meathod is just a guide but no mather how atleast you have a way to test (another choice like u say buy another meter to varified). of coz the best way is send ur meter for a PSB varification.

i personally i have check whith a calibrated meter in diff aircond rooms (house) the RH is around 50%. for those user who have doubt. you may do your own testing lets share ur idea.

statement i make is just base on my personal opinion. just want to share my experiment and finding's.

Hi sorry to hijack the thread, just want to tap on the people on this thread.

Does anyone know where I can get spare parts for the dry cabi, especially the drying unit/mechanism to do DIY repair to an existing dry cabi which is quite old?

Thanks for your help.

There's a plastic dry cab in my office that is many years old and still working.....and btw some drycab have palstic doors......so do not be too paranoid about leaving plastic items in the cab...

What's the matter with the lens? If it's just dust, live with it. Fungus, can try contacting David. His username is Fatigue here on clubsnap.

Not really, PM me the list then I will give you the price estimates.
But I'm still overseas, will only be back on 7 July

Sorry Guys ..have you ever given a thought why teh lens donot get fungus while lying on shelf for months together in a showroom or a shop.???

I sincerly feel a 5 watt bulb in a cupboard should be sufficient for all the gears to keep them warm and also keep the fungus away from the illumination.

keep the door a little open which allows fresh air to flow in ..

ofcourse if your house is always closed and windows never opened you are bound to have more moisture in teh house .

just my thoughts ..by teh way i happen to see real expensive optics kept in such an arrangement the wattage may change ..especially the ones in military usages..no fungus comes in there.offcourse the boxes there are made of thoughened glass.

atleast i have never ever experienced any fungus from few years now,

only expense is burn 5watts bulb 24 x 7 .

cheers
Sudhir

I've recently bought a Digicab dry cabinet for my new lens and camera.

I've an older camera in which I found fungus on the lens that is attached to it (camera and lens have not been detached for a few years).

If I were to detach the infected lens from my camera, is it ok to store that camera with my new lens and camera in the new Digicab (but not the infected lens)? The thing is, I'm not sure if my camera was infected with the fungus - the only visible fungus is on the front of the lens..

Any advice would be appreciated greatly..

just buy the box, set the RH, turn it on, put the stuff inside

I've recently bought a Digicab dry cabinet for my new lens and camera.

I've an older camera in which I found fungus on the lens that is attached to it (camera and lens have not been detached for a few years).

If I were to detach the infected lens from my camera, is it ok to store that camera with my new lens and camera in the new Digicab (but not the infected lens)? The thing is, I'm not sure if my camera was infected with the fungus - the only visible fungus is on the front of the lens..

Any advice would be appreciated greatly..

Yeap, do that. Try not to mix the infected lens with the others that are still clean.

I saw few brands of Dry Cabinet here...

Auto Dry (Tokyo Living)
having a UV light.
http://www.toyoliving.co.jp/individual/index.html
autodryed82cdalx6.jpg

Hakuba just a normal dry canbinet... I think...
http://www.hakubaphoto.co.jp/hakuba/0301moisture/403312.html
hakubafw4.jpg

As for this.. I think all of us know this brand...
Digi Cabinet...
drycabinetea8.jpg

You are right. The one above is AD-060. DB-036 has only 1 shelf (below).

edc9dc057a8944eda274356df04451b4.jpg

Just got myself a DB-036 today for myself. New to SLR photography here. It does comes with 2 shelves so it's up you how you want it. 2 shelves will mean each partition has less height. Btw, is 30 degrees celsius too high for an environment where i place my dry cabi?

30 degree C is a normal room temperature...:) As long your RH set between 40 - 55% will be good to keep camera and lens in it as well as paper too...;)

thx for the reply. mine still slightly below 60%. waiting till tmr to see how much it drops before putting my cam inside.

This is going to be a laugh but I've got to ask this. Professional photographers don't have time to store away all their lenses and bodies at the end of each day o'wise theywon't have time to sleep or rest. Yet, their equipment almost always never have fungus! Why?

The answer is simple (and should be obvious!) - if you use your equipment every day or almost everyday, fungus won't have time to develop.

So the lesson is - use your equipment regularly!

Hi all

I just bought a dry cabinet.... after 24 hrs run, the cabinet is at RH30.... should I let it stabilized at 40 before putting my equipment in???

Also, last night when I turned on, there's a red light.. now, there is no light... mine is from Cathay Photo, Akaruidigital with analogue hydro and temp meter....

Please advice...

Thanks..

Last edited:
Dry cabinets can store our camera equipments for very long..I heard once it awhile must take it out air it... however, if for my case I'm leaving my equipments inside the cabinet for more than 6months, will it grow fungus?

It will be inconvenient for me to bring all equipments overseas, I'm quite worry about this. btw, i'm using a ad-050. i guess it's time to remove my batteries out too :D
Thanks.