Don't buy Xbox360 - Ring of Death!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is a refurbished set. I asked if it is a new set... to which the Xbox Team replied, "Don't worry, we test all our replacement sets to make sure that they are working."

There is a huge design flaw. It needs a more efficient heatsink. Modders (who have voided their warranty) have documented that the damn thing will work after they did some mods to their heatsink.

Fortunately for me, I don't have a mod set. So, I can get it fixed.

But I think the Xbox team totally sucks. They are in a state of denial. So what if their games are good? Other game consoles have great games too.

They should have behaved responsibly and recalled all their sets to get them fixed instead of telling their customers that there is nothing wrong.

Trust me... Xbox 360 is a big mistake!

Er pardon my ignorance, but is there a difference (internally, other than cosmetic colour) between the regular XB360 and the Elite version? Does the latter suffer from the same problems?

It's a huge shame, though. Basically is a big name company producing a shoddy product. I've had my XBox ver.1 for a few years already, until one day it decided to power up on its own and start ejecting at random. Was thinking of replacing it with the XB360, since I already have my library of games, but now I'm seriously thinking of just spending about 70 bucks to get my ver.1 box fixed...

still play games?

i stopped playing video games since 2005... never looked back since. :sweat:

Wii is the future! loved it!

Er pardon my ignorance, but is there a difference (internally, other than cosmetic colour) between the regular XB360 and the Elite version? Does the latter suffer from the same problems?

It's a huge shame, though. Basically is a big name company producing a shoddy product. I've had my XBox ver.1 for a few years already, until one day it decided to power up on its own and start ejecting at random. Was thinking of replacing it with the XB360, since I already have my library of games, but now I'm seriously thinking of just spending about 70 bucks to get my ver.1 box fixed...

I doubt that the Elite version is any better. It does not boast a better CPU or GPU, which means that they are probably the same. Only the interface, colour, and peripherals are different.

Yes... a big name company producing a shoddy product...

They should have volunteered to recall the whole batch of cosoles with the design flaw and fixed the problem.

My advice to those who have the Xbox (especially the earlier versions) is to stress them a bit until they fail. As the heatsink is inadequate, the chances of them failing is pretty high. Then, get them fixed. I heard that they fix the heatsink flaw with the refurbished sets. Unfortunately, these refurbished sets have been stressed by high heat before. So, I doubt that they can be all that reliable.

Got a XBox360 on the last starhub promotion.

Din play with it much so traded it for a PSP instead.

wah lau... MS have been releasing shoddy product all their company life. look at all the fixes they have for their software.

wah lau... MS have been releasing shoddy product all their company life. look at all the fixes they have for their software.

Yah... I've been reading up on this Ring of Death problem. The Headsink is inadequate. So the chip heats up pretty bad. Then the motherboard around the chip warps a little and the connection to the chip fails.

To rectify the problem in the new Elite sets, they improved the headsink's material and they installed heat pipes. They also applied some glue to keep the GPU in place when it heats up. Personally, I think this won't work for very long. Perhaps until the warranty is over. Why did they use glue to do a clamp's job is beyond me.

3. Why did they not recall these badly designed things and fix them before they get burned? Any responsible company would have done that.

They probably thought that hardware problems could be fixed with an update patch. ;p

aiya don't buy any gaming console la

GO AND BUY MORE LENSES <3 <3 <3

eh, had that same problem as well, red rings of death, got my refurbished, been fine ever since.:thumbsup:

eh, had that same problem as well, red rings of death, got my refurbished, been fine ever since.:thumbsup:

Suggest you stress test it. Give it a really good workout with 3D graphics intensive games like Halo3 or Bioshock. Then the GPU will heat up... then hope that the heatsink and the spot of glue holds up.

It's been 2 weeks... and still no news from them. This really sucks!

Was toying with the idea of an Xbox 360 to add on to my PS2, now I read this, I think I wont be buying for a while.

And btw, if you really dulan, go file a Small Claims Action, S$10 and some of your time - it will be big news if you get a positive judgement against Microsoft :)

Also, when they give you that sort of stupid reply, you can just ask "SO is it new or not, yes/no answer, very simple?"

I think it is a refurbished set. I asked if it is a new set... to which the Xbox Team replied, "Don't worry, we test all our replacement sets to make sure that they are working."

There is a huge design flaw. It needs a more efficient heatsink. Modders (who have voided their warranty) have documented that the damn thing will work after they did some mods to their heatsink.

Fortunately for me, I don't have a mod set. So, I can get it fixed.

But I think the Xbox team totally sucks. They are in a state of denial. So what if their games are good? Other game consoles have great games too.

They should have behaved responsibly and recalled all their sets to get them fixed instead of telling their customers that there is nothing wrong.

Trust me... Xbox 360 is a big mistake!

It's been 2 weeks... and still no news from them. This really sucks!

There's a wet towel method to revive the Xbox 360,but it does not work all the time.

My 360 has just 3RROL 3 months into it's first operation and when i got a refurbished set from Microsoft i have not seen 3RROL since

When MS refurbs the sets, they usually change the heatsink to the improved model.

Personally I'm more inclined to the PS3...

Sony's Gaystation 3 suffers from budget cuts.First the PS3's controller Mark I did not have any vibration function,secondly the video cable is not even component for all range models:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.