Donate your 2 cents in here please.

Thanks everyone. I now what I need to do now. Thanks! :D

Hi TS

I think you have done some reading but may still not be enough.

As you have a fast lens, ie a f1.8 lens, you can try setting from f1.8 to f10 and see the difference in DOF. The distance between the subject and your camera also affects the DOF.

The other thing is, go read about white balance too and learn how to set up a custom white balance then your pics would not be so orangy liao.

I suggest, if you are using the Auto AF point to center or some other points YOU select. It gives you more control of your picture.

Hi TS

I think you have done some reading but may still not be enough.

As you have a fast lens, ie a f1.8 lens, you can try setting from f1.8 to f10 and see the difference in DOF. The distance between the subject and your camera also affects the DOF.

The other thing is, go read about white balance too and learn how to set up a custom white balance then your pics would not be so orangy liao.

Hmm yeah I must say learning is never enough. Thanks for the information. I will take note of my f-stop now. Thanks. :D

I suggest, if you are using the Auto AF point to center or some other points YOU select. It gives you more control of your picture.

Hmm okay I shall play with manual focus point and see. Thanks a lot. :D

In simple terms. Focused wrong things.
Due to the D.O.F, that's the problem.

Hmm yes I must say this is my bad. Because I used auto AF point selection, and like what the others have said. The camera will not be able to see what I am thinking. Maybe another 30 years down the road, such technologies will be available. :bsmilie: I will try to increase the f-stop. Much thanks :D

Usually your AF system will lock onto the closest subject if you leave it on Auto. For more precise selection you really have to pick the AF points yourself.

Hmm that means for photos to be Post processed, it must be taken in RAW format right? That means I will have to take photos in RAW format all the time?

Nope. You can tweak JPEG too. Just less than RAW.

Alight thanks guys, really useful informations. Really appreciate all of the help and time contributed for me. Thanks. :D have a great Sunday!

When situration which you can shoot in available lights, does not mean the lighting there is good.

Only when the light is clean, and you exposed it correctly, it will bring out the colors of your subjects.

It is harder to shoot without flash, so if flash is available. Use it, it is also consider available lights.

Alight thanks guys, really useful informations. Really appreciate all of the help and time contributed for me. Thanks. :D have a great Sunday!

don't worry a thing, everyone has their humble beginnings and fair share of technical bloopers... it's great that you get tips and tricks from fellow passionate forumers. happy shooting :)

It's something like the above picture. I think it's due to the f-stop right? If I didn't remember wrongly the f-stop is quite small. Should be 1.8 or 2.2

If you used f/1.8 or /2.2 then I presume you were using the 50/1.8 lens with this shot.
And I also assume that you didn't crop this photo (at least not heavily), so you were pretty close to both ladies when you took this shot.
The depth of field too thin, as many have already highlighted.
Besides reducing the aperture (eg. going to f/5.6), you could also consider moving to the right and positioning yourself such that the 2 ladies are more or less the same distance from you (i.e. they are on the same "focal plane"). This might allow you to use a large aperture and still get both pairs of eyes sharp enough to be passable :)

If you used f/1.8 or /2.2 then I presume you were using the 50/1.8 lens with this shot.
And I also assume that you didn't crop this photo (at least not heavily), so you were pretty close to both ladies when you took this shot.
The depth of field too thin, as many have already highlighted.
Besides reducing the aperture (eg. going to f/5.6), you could also consider moving to the right and positioning yourself such that the 2 ladies are more or less the same distance from you (i.e. they are on the same "focal plane"). This might allow you to use a large aperture and still get both pairs of eyes sharp enough to be passable :)

Hmm I see, useful tips. Thanks! And yes, I did not crop the photos. And i got myself 2 external flashes, I tried it out with some of the items in my house with aperture 5.6 with flash bouncing off the ceiling, the photos are sharp to what I have desired! Thanks guys :D

My 2 cts with help of weblink to understand DOF :)

In summary, if you want thin/shallow DOF, for portraits means blur background, subject isolation, and no, this is not bokeh.
1. Use fast(Not AF speed)/bright/large aperture (small F number) lens.
2. Larger the sensor, easier to achieve shallower DOF. So PNS does a better job in getting everything in focus, but large sensors you can have the control;)
3. Background vs foreground distance to camera. Camera near subject, and subject further from background.
4. Focal length. If you use longer focal length, it's easier to get blur background.

To do group shot with blur background?
Aperture number increase (stop down, reduce aperture size).
When not enough light, create it with flash. That's another topic beyond this thread.
Observe the above rules, and have fun shoot shoot & shoot. Hope my 2 cts helps