Does it matter if i use spot or centre metering in M mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

astroman

Apr 12, 2006
Was thinking if we are in Manual Mode, since the user is the one controlling the exposure does it matter if we use Spot or centre metering?? Thanks....

err.any bro care to teach what this metering function is for ? and wads the effect of the 3 choices ? sorry.noob.

err.any bro care to teach what this metering function is for ? and wads the effect of the 3 choices ? sorry.noob.
metering is simply juz meter the exposure.

Was thinking if we are in Manual Mode, since the user is the one controlling the exposure does it matter if we use Spot or centre metering?? Thanks....
it does affact. even if you are using M mode, most of time you will still be looking at the EV meter of the camera, and this EV meter gets it info using the metering. It wouldn't affact you if you are not looking at it and just guessing yourself

it matters alot in auto mode, m mode..etc.

consider if you are using spot metering and eg you happened to "spot on" a bright lamp post or a bright sun or a bright reflective object most likely your overall photo will be under and compare to using centre metering.

it really depends on what situation to use which metering.

test out and you will know the big difference. have fun! ;)

Well, with the combination of Manual and Spot, you have more flexibility in controlling your images (Mostly landscape photos). Two scenarios that I can point out:

Sunset Taking
http://www.weather-photography.com/techniques.php?cat=general&page=metering
Locking on the exposure in a certain area, and keep shooting without auto-exposing and composing in auto mode.

Gradual Filters and Spot Metering http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/neutral-density-and-graduated-nd.html
Setting different exposure areas in your image.

dominator said:
it matters alot in auto mode, m mode..etc.

consider if you are using spot metering and eg you happened to "spot on" a bright lamp post or a bright sun or a bright reflective object most likely your overall photo will be under and compare to using centre metering.

it really depends on what situation to use which metering.

test out and you will know the big difference. have fun! ;)
highlighted statement is not correct.

in M mode, the camera DOES NOT adjust exposure at all, you do it yourself. the METER will still work, to tell u whether it's over or under (and by how much) compared to what it would have shot at auto or semi-auto modes.

oh btw.. this is wat i understand across d/slr cameras... panasonic digicams might be different but i doubt it.

jOhO said:
oh btw.. this is wat i understand across d/slr cameras... panasonic digicams might be different but i doubt it.

both are the same ;) ... the only different manual mode have over A or S mode to me is, you get to use more - or + EV than you can set on your camera :bsmilie: the rest seems to be the same

ExplorerZ said:
both are the same ;) ... the only different manual mode have over A or S mode to me is, you get to use more - or + EV than you can set on your camera :bsmilie: the rest seems to be the same
zhun boh?

nikon d2 (and i think d200) can go +/- 5EV for ev comp leh... not that i've EVER had a need to use +/- 5 lar.. :bsmilie:

jOhO said:
zhun boh?

nikon d2 (and i think d200) can go +/- 5EV for ev comp leh... not that i've EVER had a need to use +/- 5 lar.. :bsmilie:

i know la, my d50 oso up to +/- 5... i juz mean that there will not be this limit if you use M mah

Yes, in Manual mode, it still meters according to your metering setting. But will not auto adjust the Aperture and Shutter speed to get a proper exposure.

If you are depending on the metering to adjust your A and S, then it does matter the metering setting. :)

dominator said:
;)
all the gurus speaking up! :thumbsup:

Did the gurus answer the original question?

student said:

erm so you mean no one answered the TS question?:think:
how about you ans it

astroman said:

Yes, it matters. Your camera is using the relevant mode and relevant sensors selected by you, to "measure" the correct exposure, and show accordingly in the exposure diagram.

ExplorerZ said:
erm so you mean no one answered the TS question?:think:
how about you ans it

I am a student.

Not a guru.

Let the gurus answer.

astroman said:

Spot metering will concentrate the particular spot only without considering other area. e,g taking bird on flight .only the bird is well expose the sky will be super bright. where else center metering is bias toward center but give consideration to other area.
all the above will effect the meter, thus in manual mode you have to adjust your shutter or aperture according to the meter reading.

student said:

I don't know...can see some having different point of view.

any comments from you?

dominator said:
I don't know...can see some having different point of view.

I am only a student.

As a student, I learnt the importance of reading and understanding a question. And I am sorry, there are no differing points of view. There simply was no answer to the original question at all before my first post here.

After my post, Nathan gave some partial answers.

The question was

[I]Does it matter if I use spot or centre metering in M mode?[/I]

Essentially, the TS wanted to know the difference between spot metering and centre (weighted) metering, and he wanted to do the metering manually. He wanted to decide the exposure. He does not want the camera to determine the exposure for him, whether spot or centre (weighted) metering.

Now let your gurus answer that.

astroman said:

In M mode, you are right in that user controls the apeture/shutter which would determine the final exposure REGARDLESS of metering mode.

IF you intend to use the camera to suggest the appropriate exposure, than the metering mode DOES matter. And as some have mentioned, the spot would take a smaller portion of the scene to meter vs the center which take a larger area.

That said, the camera's metering is NOT full proof and can be tricked. When you meter an area, you will try to meter an area that is 18% grey, so that the exposure would be correct. If the area is MORE than 18% and say like snow of sand, the camera will meter that WHITE to be 18% grey.....white--->grey, so all your shots will be underexposed. Thats why, when metering snow/sand or bright stuff, meter the scene and add +1-1.5EV to compensate.

For the above scenario, the good thing about M mode for FZ10 (not sure the rest) is that when you adjust the setting, you can see the effect immediately. So if the snow appears dull, than open the shutter or larger apeture till snow looks white. Just ignore the camera's suggestion.

Thus, thats the reason I shoot M mode most of the time, as I choose the exposure I want, and not the camera.

But if depending on camera, than do bear the above in mind.
General rule:
Meter bright stuff +ev
Meter dark stuff -ev
18% grey 0 ev

Status
Not open for further replies.