Does Composition Matter Anymore?

Does composition matter anymore?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to think I should follow all the rules in Composition. However, now I've realized what I should do; learn all there is about Composition but shoot all there is that I can see & appreciate. Oftentimes viewing shots by renown photographers, I see compositional rules get thrown out the window. Hence I say bend or break the rules, but ensure your pictures says something.

Sometimes I see that there is a picture to be had in a certain scene, but couldn't quite frame it. So I go around it in differing angles shooting till I find what it is. And then there are times, I know I just have to walk away and may or may not come back another day to try.

To me, Composition is subjective and it does matters. But it is subjective, and VERY individualistic. Tension, uniformity, rhythm of patterns textures or colors, forms & shades, contrasts, etc. It is all very much mix and match, the more you try, the better you get. The harder you look the less likely you will see it. The worst about Compositions, are cliche compositions. That I'd give a wide berth. ;)

Taking photo is a kind of capturing memory but Considering composition for photo taking is the art. We learn the technique of composition is the basic knowledge of art photo just like we learn the basic class of dancing (following the pre-defined steps) and then step in the intermed or moving on advance levels for freedom of dance. In my summary of personal opinion, we should stick to the basic in composition if we want to treat photo as an art and then move on with creative photos (out of boundary rule)

proper composition contributes to the liveliness of a picture so "composition does matter"..
does it matter to apply rules of composition everytime taking a short..sorry..nope..
how's that ;)

And therefore criticise the editing skills of the photographer rather than the photo itself. I think the question "does composition matter?" is a valid one in light of the place of importance PP has taken in the art of photography. And while I admit to being divided on how much is too much, and where and even if there should be a line, there is something inherently simplistic and beautiful about the minimal edits to a well framed shot that is not present in the copped, rotated, brightened, vibrancy enhanced clones.

I guess for me its a little like seeing a well dressed woman, looking classy with a touch of makeup and the over-done, make-up caked impostor. One you fall in love with, the other makes you want to laugh at best, or be sick at worst. So composition does matter if you want to go from taking one good shot in 100 (if lucky) to something better, and PP has its place, when subtly done, but a bad photo is a holiday snapshot and that's all it will ever be.
well, you cannot apply the same rules to every ball game

portraiture is a very different ball game compared to landscapes or macros. you won't exactly take the effort to smoothen the skin of a dragonfly, would you? why do we insist that a model's skin be smooth ? in your mind, when you remember people, unless there is prominent emphasis or presence of wrinkles, defects.. do you remember them with the pores, the defects? i think not.

a departing columnist from a uk photography magazine commented that these days we are seeing a lot of vibrantly colored images when it comes to landscapes. they are full of drama, they are beautiful, they are pretty.. but something is quite missing.

i guess the same could be applied to portraiture sometimes - but there is a place and time for superficiality.. but to do more than that, to capture the spirit, the soul.. one needs to look deeper, beyond the surface. but is there really a market for that? food for thought. for me, i know that i find a picture full of soul, emotion.. far more interesting than the commonplace pretty face who's smiling and posing for the camera. but which is more welcome and which has more broad appeal?

content is more impt than anything else :) it has to tell a story~

Compositional Rules have existed since Leonardo doodled and Michelangelo lay back and painted. They are rules simply because over years of both artistic endeavor and artistic appreciation these are the styles that have continually proven the most pleasing to the eye.

As for the "story" or "feeling" of the photo this is a craft/art comparison. Obviously if the subject means something to you, if it captures a moment with a loved one or really speaks to you the rules are not important, in fact nothing matters save the moment and feeling. However a poorly framed blurred shot of a lover, while it sings to you, would probably broke much criticism from an observer or in a critique. This is why it is much easier and far more often to see the compositional components or even the technical ones feature in a criticism. We know that to criticise the subject or content we are criticising what the artist felt or what we feel in response, and that while these are valid views as a viewer they are subjective and not necessarily objectively improving the art of the photographer, nor do sometimes "see" what the artist did.

But as for it mattering...the answer is yes, a photo, like all art, will not "sing" to everyone, it will not resonate with all who see it, and yet even those who do not "love it" will be able to admire its form.

Ohhh...and for a true test of whether a photo (or even art) succeeded in its "story" is when someone can look at it, and not know the title it was given, and yet still feel for the moment.

Compositional Rules have existed since Leonardo doodled and Michelangelo lay back and painted. They are rules simply because over years of both artistic endeavor and artistic appreciation these are the styles that have continually proven the most pleasing to the eye.

As for the "story" or "feeling" of the photo this is a craft/art comparison. Obviously if the subject means something to you, if it captures a moment with a loved one or really speaks to you the rules are not important, in fact nothing matters save the moment and feeling. However a poorly framed blurred shot of a lover, while it sings to you, would probably broke much criticism from an observer or in a critique. This is why it is much easier and far more often to see the compositional components or even the technical ones feature in a criticism. We know that to criticise the subject or content we are criticising what the artist felt or what we feel in response, and that while these are valid views as a viewer they are subjective and not necessarily objectively improving the art of the photographer, nor do sometimes "see" what the artist did.

But as for it mattering...the answer is yes, a photo, like all art, will not "sing" to everyone, it will not resonate with all who see it, and yet even those who do not "love it" will be able to admire its form.

Ohhh...and for a true test of whether a photo (or even art) succeeded in its "story" is when someone can look at it, and not know the title it was given, and yet still feel for the moment.

Very well put indeed.
Photography while it is a highly technical Art Form, one shouldn't let the technical aspects over-rule your sense and judgment of a photograph. Sharpness and composition although a prerequisit under normal circumstances and expressions, it is not necessrily A MUST in all compositions. It is FEEL; please see postings by 'lancey' - it is expression and feel.

Similarly in Music as a comparison, I love Jazz Fusion but this may be nonsense to some people, while some love Heavy Metal while it is noise to me.

I find most criticisms here are largely contructive and supportive, but quite often there are those technical fanatics who more than beg to differ and trod all over people's 'feelings'... :rolleyes:

Very well put indeed.
Photography while it is a highly technical Art Form, one shouldn't let the technical aspects over-rule your sense and judgment of a photograph. Sharpness and composition although a prerequisit under normal circumstances and expressions, it is not necessrily A MUST in all compositions. It is FEEL; please see postings by 'lancey' - it is expression and feel.

Similarly in Music as a comparison, I love Jazz Fusion but this may be nonsense to some people, while some love Heavy Metal while it is noise to me.

I find most criticisms here are largely contructive and supportive, but quite often there are those technical fanatics who more than beg to differ and trod all over people's 'feelings'... :rolleyes:

heavy metal is noise?? u ok or not? noise is noise , there is a different genre for noise.

How can heavy metal be noise?! You must be having hearing problem. ;p :bsmilie:

Composure doesn't matter.

It's just the MOST fundamental aspect in photography.

Whether a 1890 view camera or the latest DSLR model or a simple PnS, what differenciates the user is the person's skill, the angle in which the person views the things around him/her, the person's composure.

It's what sets the difference between the men and the boys.

Samuel

Composure doesn't matter.

It's just the MOST fundamental aspect in photography.

Whether a 1890 view camera or the latest DSLR model or a simple PnS, what differenciates the user is the person's skill, the angle in which the person views the things around him/her, the person's composure.

It's what sets the difference between the men and the boys.

Samuel
I am very composed when I shoot a pic. :bsmilie:

Photographs are not always all about the compositions, sometimes they are about the story behind the image.

You guys should check out Kevin Meredith. Most of his photos are only based on the rule of third. Some photos don't even follow a certain composition and it looks great.

It's very much a combinatation of the first two choices for me. Although the "if you can't understand it too bad for you" in the second option isn't exactly what I had in mind. I mean there are certain shots which require some technicality. But there are certain shots which you want to try and 'break the rules' and create something more abstract. But for me, I'd say most of the time I try and compose my pictures in a certain manner.

I selected "Others" though.

Photographs are not always all about the compositions, sometimes they are about the story behind the image.

You guys should check out Kevin Meredith. Most of his photos are only based on the rule of third. Some photos don't even follow a certain composition and it looks great.

i think the pictures all look great when they have a composition that works. i personally thinks that compositions follows potentially predictable formats - i myself periodically follows less than 10 of them. perhaps one day when i retire, i will start listing them all them and categorising them to see where is the magic of each.

Yup definitely.... and concepts too.
Good composition attracts the viewers, good concepts retain them. :)

With DSLRs becoming so affordable, it seems like every other Tom Dick Sally and Wendy gets the impression that any photo is art, so no need to bother with ANYTHING. It is scary to see some of the pictures being posted, more pathetic to see how the thread starters may not even care about honest comments given in the spirit of helping them improve. So, just want to get an idea -

Actually, some of the best photographers, in those who have not read any books or educated themselves about photography techniques, are girls. For some reason, they are able to see how a photo should look in their mind, composition wise. But they may struggle with control of the camera.

Actually, some of the best photographers, in those who have not read any books or educated themselves about photography techniques, are girls. For some reason, they are able to see how a photo should look in their mind, composition wise. But they may struggle with control of the camera.

I've noticed this too.

i personally tink composition in photography makes it art.
without good composition, it will become snapshots.
perhaps nowadays ppl got too much $ to burn...

Status
Not open for further replies.