Does anyone uses ND filter? Care to share ur experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
spend as much money as it takes to get something truly neutral if you are concerned about colour. otherwise, whatever works.

depending on what your shooting needs are, youd have to think about what kinda ND (graduated or solid) and what strengths you want. ive stopped using GND since photoshop covers that for me. but solid ND is something photoshop cant replicate. i personally dislike screw on filters since my lenses have different diameters so i went with cokin P sizes. and sometimes, just handhold the filters too.

It depends on what you want to use the ND filter for. ND filters comes in different factors x2, x4, x8

I use a 4X ND filter just to do 1 thing. get the silky effect for streams, , waterfalls.... etc.... I bought a used one and so far so good.

There is no hard and fast rule for a ND use. Its primary use is to reduce stops of lights.
Immediate use for it is to increase exposure time in brighter conditions. Example is taking waterfall/moving water during day time conditions. For me personnally, i often use it to capture the effect of motion during day time shoots.

misato said:
There is no hard and fast rule for a ND use. Its primary use is to reduce stops of lights.
Immediate use for it is to increase exposure time in brighter conditions. Example is taking waterfall/moving water during day time conditions. For me personnally, i often use it to capture the effect of motion during day time shoots.

bingo!

make sure u get a truly neutral ND that does not have colour casts.

I use it mainly for landscape photography. by the way, i'm using Cokin P Series ND4 and ND8. not very neutral. :sweat:

I use a ND x8 to lower my shutterspeeds when doing panning shots. Prevents me from having to stop down too much even in bright sunlight. :D

Cheesecake said:
bingo!

I use it mainly for landscape photography. by the way, i'm using Cokin P Series ND4 and ND8. not very neutral. :sweat:

cheesecake - i believe cokin gives a slight pinkish cast? :sweat:

i use a hoya ND4. pretty useful for extremely bright sunlight conditions. been trying to get a screw-on GND filter. CP dun carry them... sigh... :cry:

nightwolf75 said:
cheesecake - i believe cokin gives a slight pinkish cast? :sweat:

i use a hoya ND4. pretty useful for extremely bright sunlight conditions. been trying to get a screw-on GND filter. CP dun carry them... sigh... :cry:

hi...

i don't know abt the colour casts by Cokin but i've used the expensive ND filters from Lee and can conclude that there's some difference. not that easy to differentiate for most laymen but for the experts here, no problem! haha

those photos are taken on slides back when i was still using film cameras. under the scope, quite obvious.

what u pay for is what u get, i believe. but i'm very happy with my Cokin nonetheless. :)

Cheesecake said:
hi...

i don't know abt the colour casts by Cokin but i've used the expensive ND filters from Lee and can conclude that there's some difference. not that easy to differentiate for most laymen but for the experts here, no problem! haha

those photos are taken on slides back when i was still using film cameras. under the scope, quite obvious.

what u pay for is what u get, i believe. but i'm very happy with my Cokin nonetheless. :)

true. me can't tell the diff too... even tho the pros out there keep on telling me hoya sucks, got yellowish cast etc... etc... heck. at $30 bucks a pop, who's complaining? :bsmilie:

now... if only CP or some big time stores bring in the screw-on GND filters... :think:

nightwolf75 said:
true. me can't tell the diff too... even tho the pros out there keep on telling me hoya sucks, got yellowish cast etc... etc... heck. at $30 bucks a pop, who's complaining? :bsmilie:

now... if only CP or some big time stores bring in the screw-on GND filters... :think:

invest in a Cokin P system! ur best investment in filters!

take into account value. and not really quality. haha

what brands of ND are truly neutral? I'm looking for a screw on type, not a cokin type.

Cheesecake said:
bingo!

vince123123 said:
what brands of ND are truly neutral? I'm looking for a screw on type, not a cokin type.

i can't tell for sure. but Lee Frost(photographer and author of a numerous books including The Professional Guide to Filters)suggests Singh-Ray and Lee as very good ND filters, I think, can't remember for sure.

but i understand they costs a lot.

Cheesecake said:
bingo!

What is the exact ref no for the ND4 & 8 that you mention....can't find in the brochure?

Cheesecake said:
i can't tell for sure. but Lee Frost(photographer and author of a numerous books including The Professional Guide to Filters)suggests Singh-Ray and Lee as very good ND filters, I think, can't remember for sure.

but i understand they costs a lot.

singh ray is by far the best. pricey. but truly neutral. im not sure if they have the sold ND's though. only GND. Lee...is like Hitech, and believe me..they may not have a uniform colour cast, but they will shift certain colours. although you might get a good copy. their quality control doesnt appear to be consistent. another brand you might try is tiffen. they have glass filters in the cokin p size as well.

and of coz...don't get cokins...they don't even call their filters neutral density filters, but more like..graduated gradual greys. they are hopeless, period. some have magenta cast, others brown...and who knows what else. again, if you care about colour accuracy, you'll have to pay the price.

btw, if you're serious about using GND's for landscape work, or any other work, dont get the screw on type. you'll save yourself alot of money by going straight to the rectangular filters.

Cheesecake said:
u refering to Cokin, right? for i only know abt Cokin...
from my boxes, it stated P153 (ND4) and P154(ND8).

Yup...that's wat I'm looking for. Must be blind...it's right there in the brochure and can't spot it. Tks

If you have a polarizer, it can lower about 2 stops.

Normally, I would just use polarizer if 2 stops is enough. If not enough then I'll use 0.9, 0.6 and/or 0.3 ND filters. For ND, it does not matter whether its screw on or square type. But for ND grad, it is pointless to get a screw on type, better get the square type.

Status
Not open for further replies.