Does 40D still rocks ???

hanracing

Dec 24, 2009
Hi to all forumer ,

This is just a question asking about does 40D still performances good ,taking good picture and how many forumer out there still using it ???

I am one of these forumer who are still using 40D although it is 2 years since I bought it .But it still can produce excellent picture and still stay strong .

yeah its still going strong, gives excellent images despite being used for nearly 3 years.
however the dial near the shutter keeps getting clogged with dirt, starts to 'slip'
nothing much about newer SLRs appeals except HD video.

I am does not have any kind of problem till just .Just the shutter lag that I have sent it to canon for repair.Since then it has no problem facing any challenge .

If a camera is good it will remain good regardless years later...just that our standards of "good body" changes with introduction of new tech and upgrading of previous models.

It's like 5DII has been around for a few years but it is still capable of delivering superb images...

If a camera is good it will remain good regardless years later...just that our standards of "good body" changes with introduction of new tech and upgrading of previous models.

It's like 5DII has been around for a few years but it is still capable of delivering superb images...

Totally agree.

You mark my words when the 5D3 comes out suddenly you’ll hear that 90% of the 5D2s will spontaneously stop being capable of taking good photos and will spontaneously start to suck.

Still using my 40D, no problems. Mainly 17-55, f/2.8 mounted.

Hi to all forumer ,

This is just a question asking about does 40D still performances good ,taking good picture and how many forumer out there still using it ???

I am one of these forumer who are still using 40D although it is 2 years since I bought it .But it still can produce excellent picture and still stay strong .

i am still using 450d, i have done 2 photography series with it. currently doing my 3rd one.

don't think there is a problem actually.

Totally agree.

You mark my words when the 5D3 comes out suddenly you’ll hear that 90% of the 5D2s will spontaneously stop being capable of taking good photos and will spontaneously start to suck.

The high ISO standard will be raised, to be fair.

But if you take images at base ISO, you have nothing to worry about.

There are other features to consider though - I would probably never have upgraded to the latest generation of Pentax cameras if long exposure NR could be switched off on earlier generations... But I'm glad I did, because the Live View improvement makes composing even with ND filter on a joy. :)

That said, all DSLRs these days are generally quite capable.

Still using my trusty 40D, bought it about this time 4 years back..

the LCD screen was a love hate relationship.

agreed..

The high ISO standard will be raised, to be fair.

But if you take images at base ISO, you have nothing to worry about.

There are other features to consider though - I would probably never have upgraded to the latest generation of Pentax cameras if long exposure NR could be switched off on earlier generations... But I'm glad I did, because the Live View improvement makes composing even with ND filter on a joy. :)

That said, all DSLRs these days are generally quite capable.

But even with the technological advancement, it doesn’t disqualify older models from doing the great work that photographers have done with them. Just because the 1DX is out doesn’t mean that the 1Ds3 is suddenly ‘lousy’, ‘useless’ in the situations it was previously the best at. FAR FAR too many people on CS have the idea once a product is no longer the latest and greatest, it is useless.

But even with the technological advancement, it doesn’t disqualify older models from doing the great work that photographers have done with them. Just because the 1DX is out doesn’t mean that the 1Ds3 is suddenly ‘lousy’, ‘useless’ in the situations it was previously the best at. FAR FAR too many people on CS have the idea once a product is no longer the latest and greatest, it is useless.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just adding on that there are improvements, but one has to decide whether they're worth it, instead of blindly following what people say. :)

Depends on how much you're paying for a used 40D, the 600D/550D will be technologically more advanced than the 40D.

Back to basics - a camera's job is to take pictures.

Only a few advancements have been truly revolutionary, e.g. in-camera light meter, autofocus, and of course, digital photography.

Other improvements have been just evolutionary "nice to haves", e.g. Larger LCD screens, mirrorless, auto-bracketing, etc. They make live more convenient, but does not really affect the outcome of the image if you know what you are doing.

Well built, still takes excellent photos and love the high FPS. Will continue to use it till it expires.....

We can never chase technology.....

Been using more than 3 years, warranty expired, never send for service, sometimes problem with pop-up flash, may be I don't use that often, other than that, well built to last with good pictures

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just adding on that there are improvements, but one has to decide whether they're worth it, instead of blindly following what people say. :)

Yup i’m not disagreeing with you either :) Just pointing out that the obsession of the latest and greatest die hard. I love for there to be improvements. But I hate it when people start to assume because of these improvements the older cameras become ‘useless’.

upgraded to a 60d from the 40d.... must say that between the 40d and 60d, the hold of the 40d feels more like a real SLR camera... weight, grip and all...

as mentioned above, the high fps makes it an almost equivalent as the 7d in terms of speed....