does 16-35L 70-200f4 need slim polariser or uv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyun

Nov 13, 2002
Farrer Road
Visit site
does the 16-35L design require slim polariser or uv filters at 16mm? or can it escape with normal size?

how about 70-200/f4?

hyun said:
does the 16-35L design require slim polariser or uv filters at 16mm? or can it escape with normal size?

how about 70-200/f4?

If you shoot with a DSLR with crop factor of 1.6x (like EOS-10D, EOS-300D, EOS-D60, EOS-D30), you don't need slim filters. With this crop factor, you won't see any vignetting.

On film camera or full frame DSLR, some say vignetting will appear if you don't use slim filters, but a while ago, I just mounted my film camera with 16-35 and from the view finder I couldn't see any vignetting at 16mm. Maybe someone else can confirm? I am using B+W circular polarizer on EOS-30.

thanks for the input!.. eos30 viewfinder is around 92-95% area only right.. so if the vignetting occurs at the remaining 5% unviewable area, only way to see is shoot the frame.

i'm really curious cos buying a 77mm slim UV or CPL will really cost me but if it's necessary ....

Kit said:
I don't own the 16-35 but I can almost be certain that it will vignett at the wider end if you're using a film body. Happens on my 28-135.

u're referring to the 16-35 with non-slim polariser?
slim polariser is 5mm thick and based on what i found, is a must for full frame film bodies.
non-slim UV filter, however, i'm not too sure whether will vignette. slim ones are supposed to be 3mm thick. any1 knows?

CP's b+w mrc 77 slim CPL at about $180 is the non-kasemann version rite .. know whether it's good idea to get kasemann one?
will getting "oversized" one be suitable for 16-35?

has any1 used 77mm filter with 67-77 step ring on 70-200/f4? was it troublesome to use the adaptor ring etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.