Do you use HCA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chgoh

Jan 25, 2003
Hi,

Trying to read up all I can before diving into developing my first roll of film. One question popped up: Should I use HCA aafter fixing? I have seen some suggestion that washing with water after fixing would be enough.

Just wanted a poll to see what are the practices here. So, do you use HCA?

chgoh @ 4:54 pm, 9 December 2003

i do. so far so good, no watermarks. as to whether it's becos of the HCA, i really don't know cos i've always used it. doesn't cost much so i didn't want to risk it.

Think for water spots, it's the use of a soapy solution like the Agfa Agepon (ie wetting agent) and not the HCA. HCA is used to remove fixer for the film. I use HCA and think it's highly reccommended to ensure that all traces of fixer is removed from the film such tat the archival quality of ur images are insured as residual fixer on film can result in the images fading after a long time. :D

oops, got confused with the photoflo :embrass:

West_ray said:
how much does a bottle of HCA cost ar ? how many ml ?

HCA mostly comes in powder form. One pack to make 1 gallon of stock solution costs about $10++. (I may not be accurate - check at Ruby)

chgoh said:
Hi,

Trying to read up all I can before diving into developing my first roll of film. One question popped up: Should I use HCA aafter fixing? I have seen some suggestion that washing with water after fixing would be enough.

Just wanted a poll to see what are the practices here. So, do you use HCA?

chgoh @ 4:54 pm, 9 December 2003

Yes, I use HCA - it shortens the washing time after fixing. With HCA, I wash for about 3-5 mins. (it will take a much longer washing time without HCA) So far so good. ;)

For some reasons, the negs doesn't curl so much after it has been treated in HCA. And it gives a more shiny appearance to the neg.

Actually using HCA is a good practice that all should follow. IT has been shown that HCA washes the fixer out of the negatives/prints very well. This will helpt o prolong the lifespan of your work.

leewt214 said:
Actually using HCA is a good practice that all should follow. IT has been shown that HCA washes the fixer out of the negatives/prints very well. This will helpt o prolong the lifespan of your work.

Yes, HCA is highly recommended if you don't want water marks or residual fixing agents appearing on the negs 10 months down the road.

It's cheap and easy to mix. Do not save on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.