Do you shoot at full megapixel?

Do you shoot at full megapixel?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
till now i still dun understand y RAW gives you more headroom in post-processing. can you share some knowledge with me? for instance i'm using Photoshop to do pp.

wats the advantages of using RAW to pp instead of JPEG? if possible, pls state advantages based on Photoshop. so i can relate better. thanks.. :cool:

RAW gives you some advantages:

1. No compression artifacts (although at maximum JPEG quality setting, compression artifact is almost always negligible).

2. More dynamic range - greater ability to recover details from shadow / highlight areas.

3. Postpone color balance fine tuning till post processing

4. Postpone in-camera processing such as sharpening, saturation, (sometimes) noise reduction till post processing

5. Postpone color space selection (sRGB or Adobe RGB).

An experienced photographer who nails exposure and color balance in camera, can save much time by shooting in JPEG. In fact, most (if not all) photojournalists will shoot in JPEG to save time.

Hehehe. I only have D50, so can only shoot at 6MP....;) I usually do shoot at raw, fine JPEG (more often) or Normal JPEG.

It depends on whether I have enough memory space. Since I do, I usually shoot at max.

Having said that, 6MP is usually enough for A4, unless you need to crop.

haha, same here :bsmilie: so yea, with only 6.2 megapixels... large all the way!

In fact, the only time i don't shoot 'large,fine' is when i'm shooting mugshots
for new-intake students. Not exactly a fun job, but hey, someone has to do it.:sweat:

Personally I go for both jpg and raw so the pixels doesn't affect me. Furthermore I don't develop pictures more than 8R. ;)

I usually shoot @ max resolution and raw since it's only 6 megapixel :)

Yes, all the time. Rarely find myself running out of memory space.

ofcause, why else would i want to buy high pixel count camera (although i still using d60 6mp and g2 4mp:bsmilie:). only question or me is jpeg or raw.:think:

it allows me to crop wen i want to and still have enough resolution to print 4r o post on web.

exactly. if you buy a camera with high pixel count, why not make full use of it?

anyway i use my d70s at full (6mp only) RAW and JPEG fine sometimes when i need to use the pics quickly or am running out of memory

Full size for me!

Sometimes, take few shots and stitch them later in PS.
And if you do stock photo, the bigger the better! (bigger MP means more $$).

I find it quite amazing to read some the logics and reasons present in forum such as this.

If I will to post poll on: "Do you prefer High cap. or low cap. memory card when got photo trip?" Or "Do you normally 'deactivate" your AF Lens", etc - I sure there will also be many interesting logic posted!

Full all the time. Well, already paid for the camera, might as well make full use of it. Moreover, its not like memory cards and harddisk space are at a premium anyway.

And like previously mentioned, you can always down size your photos but you can't effectively up size them.

RAW gives you some advantages:

1. No compression artifacts (although at maximum JPEG quality setting, compression artifact is almost always negligible).

2. More dynamic range - greater ability to recover details from shadow / highlight areas.

3. Postpone color balance fine tuning till post processing

4. Postpone in-camera processing such as sharpening, saturation, (sometimes) noise reduction till post processing

5. Postpone color space selection (sRGB or Adobe RGB).

An experienced photographer who nails exposure and color balance in camera, can save much time by shooting in JPEG. In fact, most (if not all) photojournalists will shoot in JPEG to save time.

On top of that, each PP action on a JPEG image degrades its quality...so if that JPEG image needs major PP, the quality may degrade too much... (at least that's what i remember...)

I'm shooting at max resolution now and in RAW cos i have too much mem card haha... ;p
1x1GB + 3x2GB + 1x4GB

Hmm... if shooting JPG in high ISO, would reduce the size of the image also reduce the noise ratio?

Hmm... if shooting JPG in high ISO, would reduce the size of the image also reduce the noise ratio?

Maybe - but you should be able to get better results by first running a noise reduction program on your computer, then downsizing (bicubic sharper).

max res... hahaha
if got a lot of space and if trip is ending... will use RAW.. better quality

yes coz i shoot raw
if you want a smaller file size you can always resize or crop

bcoz i'm not pro n lacking confidence, max RAW+L all the way "just in case" and "u never know" :)

besides, i dont understand why pple dont make full use of max resolution unless lower res gives you better noise control as like the D3 (i read that effective res is only ~5m at high iso).
imo i also think "runing out of mem" is rubbish. u buy high pixel camera, make sure u stock up on enuf memcards!

I do shoot at lower res because there are indeed some noise control with it. This is especially so if you have lower end DSLR. Probably because you still use the entire sensor but more CCD/CMOS area dedicated to each pixel. Tried and tested. And if I am not wrong, this is how Fuji is pushing the iso limits for its compact cameras, i.e. highest iso only available for lower res.

Status
Not open for further replies.