Do you get down and tired when shooting?

Bodhisattva

Dec 31, 2007
Singapore
Do you, for example, get down on ur kness, elbows on the ground to get a good angle for a particular shot that you want to achieve? Do you sit on the floor and don't bother about getting your jeans, shorts or pants dirty? Do you mind the weird looks on the faces of onlookers?

Last edited:
Do you, for example, get down on ur kness, elbows on the ground to get a good angle for a particular shot that you want to achieve? Do you sit on the floor and don't bother about getting your jeans, shorts or pants dirty? Do you mind the weird looks on the faces of onlookers?

Sometimes to get the shot you want you have no choice. I have placed my face on the muddy ground before when i'm shooting macro.

today i was at japanese garden in the late afternoon. it was drizzling but i dunno if it was a heavy drizzle but i do know that everyone else around me has already run into the japanese garden shelter. However, i saw a milky stork happily feeding in the pond, so i lug out all my equipment and sat down on the wet mushy ground near the edge of the pond and shoot the bird. whereas everyone else area already hidding in the japanese garden shelter.

actually, this is nothing... i am already used to doing all sorts of crazy things to get the shot i wanted...

I even lie down on my belly.

I usually carry an inflatable pillow in my camera bag to lay down to shoot.

But I may doze off if the subject is boring.

inflatable_20pillow.jpg

when i want to get a particular shot, i do whatever it takes, short of committing a crime, to get the shot. in such instances, i am oblivious to everything around me.

Sion said:
I usually carry an inflatable pillow in my camera bag to lay down to shoot.

But I may doze off if the subject is boring.

Weeheehee. A bolster should be more comfy. Snuggle and hug on the pavement. Oh wait I'm taking pictures. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
I am seriously thinking of getting an apron to wear for my shoots. Maybe knee-guards as well...

This is just going to evolve into an ego contest.

Soon we'll have things like "oh yeah, you sat on the muddy floor? Let me tell you, I killed 20 dragons, climbed a lava mountain and swam across the Pacific just to get a shot." :bsmilie:

What does it matter? You don't like being dirty also ok, just don't shoot lor. Nothing wrong with that. Suffering and getting dirty has little to do with getting a good shot. If you roll down Mount Everest before boarding a human catapault to go all the way back up and get a shot; as compared to someone who just rode a helicopter up and nonchalantly took that same shot, no one cares when looking at the picture.

Of course, some amount of self satisfaction can be derived, and maybe some people can be inspired by your story (like the case of the amputated war photographer). But there's quite a number of things besides suffering and getting your hands dirty, when it comes to photography.

This one can?

The upside down one is just ridiculous, he can just compose upside down and rotate the picture afterwards la..

This is precisely what I'm talking about - you should find the optimal and most pain-free way to do what you do. If you have to suffer, then you suffer. If you're not up to it, then you don't shoot. Of course the people who are up to it and don't do silly things deserve some amount of applause.

One might as well go around life happily declaring that he takes photographs while doing a hand stand. If his photographs are just the same as anyone else's, then he'd be silly. If they are substandard in part because he's doing the hand stand, then he's just really an attention seeker with poor photography skills.

I've seen a few people proclaiming very happily (and consistently) on Flickr that whoa, they had been through a few muddy fields, crawl here, crawl there... Best part is when I went to the location it was just another location, no different. If your photograph isn't noteworthy, you can write 20 pages of dramatic experiences and claim that you went through heaven and hell to get it, it means nothing to me.

Last edited:
well, just thank GOD for large articulating LCD screens ........... I am getting too old and fat nowadays for these low-to-the-ground positions

print_bubbles2.jpg

Last edited:

You mean like this: :bsmilie:

photographers14.jpg

get down is a must, most of my shots are taken at super low angle.
[youtube]DDwxhHwJ66M[/youtube]

i climb the highest mountain, base jump the deepest valley, cross the widest river just to get the shot i want...but then something hit me......i forgot my camera!