Do you feel any improvement with MRT after the increase in trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they were to use this reason to increase train fares AGAIN there'll definately be an uproar

Right! They are serving the wrong crowd at the wrong time leh. Increase train freqs to bring people around for delicious lunch? A bit absurd.

was it made official in news, that it was to serve lunch hour crowd and only in town? (shenton way?)

coz i wasn't aware of this bit of info...

was it made official in news, that it was to serve lunch hour crowd and only in town? (shenton way?)

coz i wasn't aware of this bit of info...

More or less it is. The news on TV said the increments (lunch hrs and weekends) were to serve the lunch crowd and the weekend crowd. Then the correspondents even went to interview a few office workers at Raffles Place and all they replied was good good good. :bsmilie: Wa lao...buay tahan...

More or less it is. The news on TV said the increments (lunch hrs and weekends) were to serve the lunch crowd and the weekend crowd. Then the correspondents even went to interview a few office workers at Raffles Place and all they replied was good good good. :bsmilie: Wa lao...buay tahan...

oic....hahahaha
yah interviews biased lah...as they say "only hear the good things"...was it gold 90.5fm?? lol
like i announce treat u lunch for the whole month, then ask u lunch good or not after the first one, of course the answer is obvious lah. It's not a Jedi mind trick... :bsmilie:

*any* increment is a step in the right direction, is it not?

i am not sure where all the people who seem to be unhappy that trains are increased at lunch are working.. i only remember that a one hour lunch break usually just restricted me and my colleagues to poking at canteen food everyday.

i have not been in singapore for a while, but the last time i was back in mar/apr it was the same what. rush hour just skip one train lor. same applies in london too, and even more so for hong kong. for most other places i have been to, either the metro is a hotbed for crime, or the trains never arrived. you have no idea how proud i feel when taking the transportation system elsewhere.

i am not sure where all the people who seem to be unhappy that trains are increased at lunch are working.. i only remember that a one hour lunch break usually just restricted me and my colleagues to poking at canteen food everyday.

i have not been in singapore for a while, but the last time i was back in mar/apr it was the same what. rush hour just skip one train lor. same applies in london too, and even more so for hong kong. for most other places i have been to, either the metro is a hotbed for crime, or the trains never arrived. you have no idea how proud i feel when taking the transportation system elsewhere.

no lah...not complaining of whether having it or not, as u said, it's a good thing if it's implemented. I think people are discussing on how and where it's implemented.

It's like building a well in the middle of a minefield for a drought strickened village. Hey it's an improvement! Don't complain! :bsmilie:

no lah...not complaining of whether having it or not, as u said, it's a good thing if it's implemented. I think people are discussing on how and where it's implemented.

It's like building a well in the middle of a minefield for a drought strickened village. Hey it's an improvement! Don't complain! :bsmilie:
that is fair enough.. itś not that bad la.. maybe more like giving a drought strickened village candy. but candy is better than nothing.. :)

what is the situation like at peak hours, btw. last time i was in singapore the trains were arriving 2-3 minutes in between. i think that is actually fair enough? anything closer than that, you might have problems with coordination with a lot of train stops, etc.. because people take time to get on and off.

on another note, a friend once commented that it is immensely ironic how in other parts of the world a taxi was a luxury that only the really rich could afford. here in singapore it becomes a right that everyone demands for.

what is the situation like at peak hours, btw. last time i was in singapore the trains were arriving 2-3 minutes in between. i think that is actually fair enough? anything closer than that, you might have problems with coordination with a lot of train stops, etc.. because people take time to get on and off.

on another note, a friend once commented that it is immensely ironic how in other parts of the world a taxi was a luxury that only the really rich could afford. here in singapore it becomes a right that everyone demands for.

im not too sure about now, but my guess situation's still the same. The crowd is immense at the jurong east stn during peak hours, especially around 5.30-6.30pm. I used to work in town and in clementi, so i was quite traumatized by it, hence im now working much close to home.

hard to describe the feeling, but yah before the train rolls in completely, you get people jostling with each other to stand as close as possible to the moving train's entry/exit points. Especially the middle platform, with train intervals averaging 5 minutes, trains from east and west pouring in every 4 mins or so, so you roughly get two trainloads of people to squeeze into the middle north bound train, on both sides of the trains.

as for taxi....i think it's matter of affordability. I used to take cabs often (to avoid the trains) to work and home, it really burnt a hole in my pocket, at least 1/4 of my pay gone. Right now, cabs are a luxury or in desperate times. And i do try to time those "desperate times" to avoid the surcharge hours, those can really kill the wallet. So many cabs on the road, not many to afford, it's no wonder both sides(drivers/commuters) are complaining. :bsmilie:

oic....hahahaha
yah interviews biased lah...as they say "only hear the good things"...was it gold 90.5fm?? lol
like i announce treat u lunch for the whole month, then ask u lunch good or not after the first one, of course the answer is obvious lah. It's not a Jedi mind trick... :bsmilie:

keke...^^

Yup, your perspective is respected, bro. Generally the buses in London are like a joyride. You can jump on and off. When I went shopping in London with my friends, walking would be sufficient. The only tube station that scares me is Leicester Sq. The ultimate scariest station is Paris Gare du Nord. Of course you cannot compare England with Singapore. The tube is crowded in the morning, but orderly. I had lived at Canary Wharf for some time. The crowd was still alright for me.

Anyway, stay on in London and enjoy your life there. I miss the days when my staple food is not rice but sandwiches, chicken and chips, pizzas, burgers, and spaghetti. I only ate rice about twice once a month (weekends) - that is at Manchester Chinatown. When my dad was there, I brought my dad there to have dinner. One plate of fried rice cost S$16 (not even the hawker standard here in terms of quality and quantity). My dad said he was like eating diamonds. :bsmilie:

Yup, your perspective is respected, bro. Generally the buses in London are like a joyride. You can jump on and off. When I went shopping in London with my friends, walking would be sufficient. The only tube station that scares me is Leicester Sq. The ultimate scariest station is Paris Gare du Nord. Of course you cannot compare England with Singapore. The tube is crowded in the morning, but orderly. I had lived at Canary Wharf for some time. The crowd was still alright for me.

Anyway, stay on in London and enjoy your life there. I miss the days when my staple food is not rice but sandwiches, chicken and chips, pizzas, burgers, and spaghetti. I only ate rice about twice once a month (weekends) - that is at Manchester Chinatown. When my dad was there, I brought my dad there to have dinner. One plate of fried rice cost S$16 (not even the hawker standard here in terms of quality and quantity). My dad said he was like eating diamonds. :bsmilie:

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

hor hor , so you take what the singaporeans in my school call the MAGIC BUS. :bsmilie:

europe has a lot of magic buses though, i think it is the norm to just do that. yes, i think it is not fair to really compare london directly - they are stuck in a rut because they cannot close the entire tube down to revamp it, neither do they have the politicians to care about the correct issues..

i went to canary wharf twice to take sunset a while back, the nice thing is that the people here arrange themselves and queue up to enter the train.. not just one big free for all mass whacking to see who can squeeze the fastest. so swee swee both times wait for maybe 2 trains then can go in already. i think that is something we can learn from them as well?

The aircon, the space I stand, the ride... All feels more expensive now...

Maybe they now pump more air into the train so that ppl won't suffocate during peak hours
icon8.gif
:(

sorry unable to provide direct image links at work...here's two images i happen to take of the crowd at the JE station...i believe others may have scarier photos. hahaha
(none this year...coz changed job...hahaaha)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51453931@N00/2324078302/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51453931@N00/427002442/

It's still the same bro. I just experienced that 2 weeks back. :confused:

A push is all it takes to kill someone. Now isn't that simple. :think:

I didn't even know there is an increase of MRT trains. It feels like the same.

Haiz, now you cant even take a few stations back to board the train else ppl will say you cheat again....

My office's window faces the MRT tracks and I see no increase in the frequency but somehow a decrease.. dunno why. Maybe I should just out a video cam and record it and post on youtube.

my guess, they pull out trains from not so urgent periods for the peak periods, there's no increase in the physical number of trains? If not, there wont be enough space to keep all of them. :bsmilie:

they said they do all the 'improvements', so be ready for price increase.

it happens, sometimes its the commuters fault, got the "behind got ghost" mentality. Sbs should try introduce bus models with exit right at the end, to encourage people to move to the back, since they are unable to convince people to do so (over so many years now)

btw, do you know that every buses that ply the roads have a maximum number of seated and standing passengers?

i bet that most do not follow such rules. almost every time, the bus is packed to the brim. when accidents happened, this could pose some serious consequences.

whether the exit door is right at the end or in the middle, it doesn't matter if the maximum number of allowed standees is followed. passengers can easily move in and out of the bus without having to push and shove.

sorry unable to provide direct image links at work...here's two images i happen to take of the crowd at the JE station...i believe others may have scarier photos. hahaha
(none this year...coz changed job...hahaaha)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51453931@N00/2324078302/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51453931@N00/427002442/

Hi sbs99 i think ur pic are not the worse one i seen. I've seen situation whereby the whole platform at JE is packed, yes both sides... at least ur pics there are some empty spaces... it's really horrible. the whole stn is like a MRT train already...

I was rather excited when they announce that they will be adding more trains to the "peak" period. thus i assume that the peak will be like bus lane timings... 730-930am, 430-7pm somewhere there la... I think i heard the news mention that "some" will be for the lunch but all meh??

As far as i am concern, after the "added" trains, i wun be squeezed to the door at least have some standing room. but it seems that it has become worse. last time in the morn trains come like every 2mins. now i see 4mins and ya imagine the crowd...

Today i even see 9mins!!! at morn peak hour somemore, this is unacceptable le.. this a step forward or a step backwards? where are all the trains? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.