Do not buy from Worldwide Cameras Centre at Peninsula Plaza, #01-38

Always do your homework.
Lessons learnt from school do apply in life.

This thread should be in Consumers Corner...:think:

There are some guidelines for buying things for others...

* Gather more information from that person about the items which you are buying onbehalf,
e.g. which location or shop he/she use to get it.
who is the sales person usually attended to him/her, get the name.
what is the usual price of that items.

* always include " what if " instead of I think, I thought.
what if.. the shop not open, the sales person on leave, the stock runs out .

* Alternative ...get it from some other shops ? price difference ? maximum budget ?

it will certainly minimise unhappy situation.

As for any merchandise, products being displayed in the showcase, as long as there are no price tags labelled on it, the shop owner, stall keeper, or sales person can / could name any price which them deems fit when asked.

Why is it like that ?
For many reasons...
some shop owners might seize opportunity to slice the throat of certain consumer but at the same time this same person could be very sincere and polite to some regular customers.

There are some sales staff whose income base on the volume of sales they generate, which usually in terms of several K per month. So they might want to slice a few rare consumer to top up their target.

Even shops with displayed price tag, there may be difference among shops to shops.

given an example , I bought a DVD recorder at Harvey Norman which price tag shows..
was $3xx/= , now $200/=, which I found correct when I saw the item about 6 months ago.
so bought the set and was happy with the saving.
Same evening, happened to drop by Mustapha and pop in the elec dept for a look. And there was one stack of the same recorder with a price tag of $185/= each GST inclusive.

Was there a rip off ? the answer is no.
The answer is each shop have their own margin of mark up profit. It is not cheating.
There are cases where those collectors bid in renown auction house for millions of dollars for a piece of antique/ art and later found out to be a replica. Even the auction house they themselves get cheated.

So, in this case , the thread title should be changed, should the shop take up the matter.

Last edited:
Your warning is a bit too late for me.

Yesterday, I went to Gain City at Chua Chu Kang and discovered that the spare battery for FijiFilm is sold at $29.

That guy at Worldwide Cameras Centre sold me the same brand battery for $85.:angry:

I am asking all my friends to boycott that shop.

Yesterday, I went to Gain City at Chua Chu Kang and discovered that the spare battery for FijiFilm is sold at $29.

That guy at Worldwide Cameras Centre sold me the same brand battery for $85.:angry:

I think 3rd party one can be bought from mass sales from $10-$20...

I bought my D90 kit from them. One of the cheapest around when first launched but they tried to push for filters and lens which i reckon that they will make up the "lost" from the D90 kit. I did not take the offer in the end for lens and filters.

I think you got conned
:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Once upon a time, many years ago, before the birth of Clubsnap, I was ripped off there too, when buying a simple flash. Over paid by $80+. I remembered the lesson well and till this day, never ever stepped into the shop every again.

All I can to the TS is that you just got ripped by a few dollars. Just learn and move on.

another one bite the dust, chill bro take it as a lesson learnt, think everyone has this type of experience when they ventured into photography.

but this shop is famous for that, and i almost get conned by them too, trying to sell me DV tapes at 12 bucks per piece stating, just told them off at mustafa or simlim i cld get 3 or 4 tapes at that price....

next time do ur homework confirm will not go wrong one.. take it as a lesson:)

I was shocked when they quoted me a roll of Fuji Superia 400 @ $10 ! But I didn't buy cos I was going around asking the price..

Yes, the price they quoted the customers are horribly OVER PRICED !

Think they survived by conning tourists who don't know about anything in the shop..

This shop has been around for decades. I remember buying an EOS 620 in the 80s when the shop was still located along the North Bridge Road side of Peninsula Plaza.

That time I was still a JC kid who was shopping for my first real SLR and they sold me the kit without a proper warranty card (only the handwritten claim of "1 year warranty" on the receipt). When I checked with more knowledgeable friends, I went back to demand for the card. The fella actually wanted to "sell" me the card for $20! Only when I threatened to kick up a big fuss then did they produce the card.

Jokers with lots of pattern.

I've never gone back since.

This shop has been around for decades. I remember buying an EOS 620 in the 80s when the shop was still located along the North Bridge Road side of Peninsula Plaza.

That time I was still a JC kid who was shopping for my first real SLR and they sold me the kit without a proper warranty card (only the handwritten claim of "1 year warranty" on the receipt). When I checked with more knowledgeable friends, I went back to demand for the card. The fella actually wanted to "sell" me the card for $20! Only when I threatened to kick up a big fuss then did they produce the card.

Jokers with lots of pattern.

I've never gone back since.

wondering how come still can survive after 30 years in the market

Sorry for bumping this dead thread. I got scammed today. :'( bought the GroBartiG 0.45x for close to $200~!!!!

Wished I had seen this thread earlier... isn't there something we can do.

Sorry for bumping this dead thread. I got scammed today. :'( bought the GroBartiG 0.45x for close to $200~!!!!

Sorry to hear your experience.

I was standing with an angmo looking at the showcase. The staff only approached the angmo after I walked away.

I stayed a step away and was relief to see the angmo walked away. I went up to chitchat with him to warn him to be careful. He replied that he was aware and he only patronize CP, Tk foto.

Every week 1 new case of scam.Dunno what to say liao...