Do not buy from Worldwide Cameras Centre at Peninsula Plaza, #01-38

Its ok blackpinky,...call wateva business style or its business...those kena will always feel victimised...they got the right to say its business, victims got the right to say they got conned..

but wat the heck, life goes on...wat goes around comes around....

I normally buy film from ruby photo.

Btw, every other month, there will be people signing up CS and complaint about this shop.

So.........no feeling already lah.

I was there today buying film (for a friend) and got totally ripped off.

They DO NOT entertain refunds or exchanges as soon as your $$ is handed over. I was back to the shop within 5 mins and they stated the above as their policy.

This is the price they quoted:
Fujifilm Neopan 400 120mm at $14 per roll
Fujifilm ACROS 100 135mm at $16 per roll

IT IS RIDICULOUS! please spread the word around to fellow film photographers.

Thank you.

I kena once, screen protector for 24 dollars and i realise after that i kena con but what to do, its my fault for not making any homework when buying things so i just live with it...Since you already realise next time be more carefull in puchasing stuff...

I feel that a culture of no refund/no exchange policy in the retail industry, as is the case for Singapore and many other countries, is a short sighted one. Consumers quickly learn to be very cautious, and doing lots of bargaining hunting before committing to buy anything. In contrast, a generous refund/exchange policy encourages consumers to let their guards down and they end up buying more, thinking "I can always exchange it or get a refund if I don't really like it".

Sure, sometimes they end up doing that, but often, after a while, they decide that it's too much hassle, or they don't have the time, or the product is not too bad after all. Just look at the enormous consumer debt the US has accumulated, due in no small part to the very generous refund/exchange policiy of US retailers.

Last edited:
they can put whatever sign there they want, but consumer still has their rights ultimately. Meaning the law still protects you.

Yes, it is an obvious case of an idiot (me) willingly paying the exorbitant price. But it was through this case that I realised this shop is obviously not one of the most honest ones around. Insisting that even if it is misrepresentation, there would have been no exchanges or refunds.

It wasn't about about the money honestly. As you all mentioned, it wasn't much! Just thought a warning might be helpful to others 'ignorant' like me.

There was a case a few years ago that a certain shop sued back the victim with a defamation suite for advertising the name of the shop.

i'd be more careful of such things happening. they might be a bad shop or blacklisted by us, but they can still sue you for badmouthing them when the law has given punishment to them . i was cheated more than 20k from some place though it wasnt camera equipment or IT stuff.. it was the least expected case of cheat . but life goes on. did i get back a single cent ? no .. more of like paying more to get it finished and i'm still going through it . live and let live. i believe in religion.. and no matter what religion you have, they will get back what they have done bad in life someday

I feel that a culture of no refund/no exchange policy in the retail industry, as is the case for Singapore and many other countries, is a short sighted one. Consumers quickly learn to be very cautious, and doing lots of bargaining hunting before committing to buy anything. In contrast, a generous refund/exchange policy encourages consumers to let their guards down and they end up buying more, thinking "I can always exchange it or get a refund if I don't really like it".

Sure, sometimes they end up doing that, but often, after a while, they decide that it's too much hassle, or they don't have the time, or the product is not too bad after all. Just look at the enormous consumer debt the US has accumulated, due in no small part to the very generous refund/return policiy of US retailers.
you have no idea how people can abuse that policy...........

i know someone who "bought" a dress for one of those functions, and then returned it the next day saying she was not satisfied with it. nope, not singaporean.

i know someone who "bought" a dress for one of those functions, and then returned it the next day saying she was not satisfied with it. nope, not singaporean.

Yes, I have seen and heard of abusers of such policy, from all backgrounds. There is this famous case of a guy who bought a TV, watch it for 3 years, and when a new model came out, brought it back to the store and exchange for the new model.

But apparently the number of abusers are small enough that the retailers still make money overall.

they can put whatever sign there they want, but consumer still has their rights ultimately. Meaning the law still protects you.

Yes, it is an obvious case of an idiot (me) willingly paying the exorbitant price. But it was through this case that I realised this shop is obviously not one of the most honest ones around. Insisting that even if it is misrepresentation, there would have been no exchanges or refunds.

It wasn't about about the money honestly. As you all mentioned, it wasn't much! Just thought a warning might be helpful to others 'ignorant' like me.

Actually, such a situation largely depends on your preference of what "shopping" means.

If you consider shopping as enjoying some kind of chit-chatty experience with no fixed product in mind and not much focus on price (eg. shopping for shoes) then be prepared to be charged high prices.

However, if you consider shopping as a means to get a specific product at the lowest price possible (eg. tech products) - where you are treating a retail shop like a supplier - then you should do all your homework first and minimize communication with the sales personnel.

Just zip in, check the price for that item only, and if price is good, check product, pay and go.

If you consider shopping as enjoying some kind of chit-chatty experience with no fixed product in mind and not much focus on price (eg. shopping for shoes) then be prepared to be charged high prices.

Women's idea of shopping

if you consider shopping as a means to get a specific product at the lowest price possible (eg. tech products) - where you are treating a retail shop like a supplier - then you should do all your homework first and minimize communication with the sales personnel.

Just zip in, check the price for that item only, and if price is good, check product, pay and go.

Men's idea of shopping :bsmilie:

Women's idea of shopping

I have read many negative reviews about that shop and I don't intend to shop there.

Nevertheless, if someone approached a camera salesman asking questions like: "I don't know anything about photography, I need to buy film for a friend, can you please recommend some?" that is practically an open invitation to chop carrot head. :think:

Moreover, the TS may be furious to have been overcharged by $10+ for film, but there are other people who can pay hundreds of dollars for a pair of shoes or thousands of dollars for handbags who feel very happy about getting a great "discount" from their favourite luxury goods retailer.

The method used for making the customer feel like she got a good deal is the same in both cases - create a high perception of the starting price and "discount" it down to a price that still makes a lot of money for the retailer. Only difference is that photography goods are usually widely sold and approach a free market price, whereas the prices of luxury goods are more tightly controlled.

Only difference is that photography goods are usually widely sold and approach a free market price, whereas the prices of luxury goods are more tightly controlled.

Totally agree :thumbsup:

my uncle staying in New Zealand, has a neighbour who bought a frying pan and used it until it's black and bought it back to the store and changed it for a new one. no questions asked.:dunno:

Right point, wrong rationale. I've always assumed that refunds and exchanges was financially a loss leader, even if there might be a bit of goodwill to be won. I've never found a way of justifying it as being profit generating in the long run!

I do agree that refunds/exchanges should be standard.

I know part-time models over here that buy a dress, keep the tags, go to a shoot, and then bring it back the next day.

But at the same time, I feel the saddest part about this thread is that some people can defend the store's no refunds/exchange policy. I personally feel that a fair refund/exchange policy should be in place as part of basic consumer rights.

Yes, there will be people that abuse it. But there will always be people that take advantage of any liberty, be it free speech, driving a car responsibly, or the freedom to keep a pet.

The fact that some people abuse privileges or rights doesn't mean that they shouldn't exist.

Regarding the frying pan and the TV... that's just silly. A fair refund/exchange policy can adequately protect the consumer without letting them take advantage of the seller to that extent. I do wonder how much of either of those two examples are urban legends, and either way if the retailer lets themselves get taken advantage of to that extent then they deserve everything they get coming to them.

sorry even cathay photo do not allow exchanges unless the equipment you have purchased is spoilt etc. refunds are out of the question.

Actually not true. I once bought a Sony teleconverter lens from Cathy, to fit on a Sony videocam. I did not have my videocam with me in the shop. When I tried the lens at home, I found that it was only useable on tele end of zoom range, wide end had extreme vignetting. I took the lens back to shop and they refunded my money. They scolded me politely for not taking my videocam to try the lens in the first place, but they did not make big fuss.

Last edited:
But at the same time, I feel the saddest part about this thread is that some people can defend the store's no refunds/exchange policy. I personally feel that a fair refund/exchange policy should be in place as part of basic consumer rights.

yes, i think conditional refund/exchange is fine.

for example, time limit, original packaging, undamaged, etc.. there is a thin fine line between doing just enough, and not enough though. and as always, when challenged with customers who have obviously bungled up something and are trying to pass on the responsibilities to the retailers.. there isn't much choice.

have you seen the empty cheeseburger trick here? :bsmilie:

i think what we are seeing in western implementations is a wee bit too liberal, but then there are huge differences in mentality and culture hence.....

just buy from Ruby Photo across the street in future .......... they are reputable and have been around for YEARS (including the staff)

and they are one of the few shops that carry a HUGE range and stock of specialized emulsions

Last edited:
Blackpinky,

Cheer up, you did the right thing of telling us your bad experience with this shop and thank you.

I will never buy from shops which take advantage of ignorant customers even if I can bargain and get a good price from them.

Last edited: