Do I really have to get expensive lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiramzai

Jul 21, 2006
JB Malaysia
Hi guys,

I just got my 400D(kit) and Sigma 70-300 APO recently, I dont think the photos I took are as sharp as what people have posted on the forum, I did try to use tripod but still... :dunno:

I use fast shutter speed to avoid hands shake, something like 1/60 or faster, bcos of that, sometimes I have to use higher ISO like 200-400, I'd not to use ISO800 and above cos the photo will look noisy.

do I really need expensive lenses to get sharp photos? I know they cost a lot...

p/s: I like to shoot nature.

Thanks!

Why don't you give it a go for say another month or two.

Your technique may have improved in which case your images should be sharper, regardless of lens used.

Or you may be more pleased with your composition, in which case sharpness is secondary.

IMO no point getting a boring subject tack sharp.

post your unedited photos for us to see?:) thanks

Hi guys,

I just got my 400D(kit) and Sigma 70-300 APO recently, I dont think the photos I took are as sharp as what people have posted on the forum, I did try to use tripod but still... :dunno:

I use fast shutter speed to avoid hands shake, something like 1/60 or faster, bcos of that, sometimes I have to use higher ISO like 200-400, I'd not to use ISO800 and above cos the photo will look noisy.

do I really need expensive lenses to get sharp photos? I know they cost a lot...

Thanks!

Haha I just got my 400D too and having that problem too. I use the kit lens 18-55mm which many calls it a lousy lens. But then it takes alot of trial and error to get the various settings right. ;) I keep a booklet to keep track of what settings are good for which environment and now with practice... I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Hi guys,

Thanks!
1/60 is definately not fast shutter speed. If you are using the 70-300, even though the lens is not that heavy, 1/60 is way too slow a shutter speed to use.

shoot with a tripod, your pictures will be much sharper. Btw, not sharp enough, could it be out of focus?

Try not using the largest aperture possible on your lens but two stops down.

Have a look at this while your at it:

Sharpness vs F/Stop

Hi guys,

Thanks!

To avoid handshakes, the general rule for shutter speed is 1/(focal length x crop factor).
Hence, for your 70-300 you'd need at least 1/100 for 70mm and 1/500 for the 300mm. With monopod or tripod, you can reduce the shutter speed. To a lesser extent, proper lens holding would also help.
;)

The bigger the aperture, the more costly a lens gets. Bigger aperture = more light entering the lens = greater shutter speeds.
:)

Having said that, good composition and techniques will still allow your 70-300 to turn out good pictures. Check out some magazines with reader's contribution. Quite a few are done using cheap equipment but still truns out nice.

WOW!! thanks for the fast replies!! :thumbsup:

Here are two of the photos I took recently.
the photos seem to me a bit too smooth, arent they?

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_06302.jpg

Maybe you can try applying USM to it using PS?

To do an example for you to cross-reference, I've used your photos and apply USM to it (if you dun mind).

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_06302.jpg

thanks! I can see the difference, more contrast, but what is USM?

USM = unsharp mask
most ppl use this tool to sharpen their pictures, regardless of what lens they use. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.