Dilemma - What camera/ lens for travel with kids

Jean

Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
Hi all, I now have a EOS 5D and Pen epl 6 (i only have kit lens for this one) and now planning to travel with 2 kids.

I would like to take my 5D with my lenses but the weight is truly off putting since I have to juggle a stroller and kids and stuff. On my last trip I bought a tamron 18-270 for travel with kids and although it was convenient, I was disappointed with the output when I came back. After being used to the quality of my 18-55, the shots of the tamron was not something I can get used to.

The Pen is great with it's weight but with an active 3 year old, shots come out blurred especially in low light. Anyone can recommend a versatile lens for travel which is good for taking photos of kids with relatively good quality images? I'm looking at the 12-40 2.8 but on a pen body it might seem too heavy.

Thanks!

How comfortable are you with prime lenses? If you don't find them much of a limitation, a 17, 20 or 25mm is a good way to go for the m43. Light with good image quality

Hi all, I now have a EOS 5D and Pen epl 6 (i only have kit lens for this one) and now planning to travel with 2 kids.

I would like to take my 5D with my lenses but the weight is truly off putting since I have to juggle a stroller and kids and stuff. On my last trip I bought a tamron 18-270 for travel with kids and although it was convenient, I was disappointed with the output when I came back. After being used to the quality of my 18-55, the shots of the tamron was not something I can get used to.

The Pen is great with it's weight but with an active 3 year old, shots come out blurred especially in low light. Anyone can recommend a versatile lens for travel which is good for taking photos of kids with relatively good quality images? I'm looking at the 12-40 2.8 but on a pen body it might seem too heavy.

Thanks!

2 kids and stroller is no joke hope husband is helpful.If using kit lens then no choice but to bump up iso as aperture is F3.5-5.6? 12-40 is big and not cheap even if used one.Your best bet is prime with bigger aperture if you want to maintain low iso. But the problem is focal length so you have to decide which one is best for the majority of the type of photos you want to take eg. landscape or portraits etc.At the very least one prime or two, one wide or medium.Have a look below for ideas.

PS. I hope you know how to select shutter speed based on focal length for minimising camera shake.Guideline is twice the focal length eg. 40mm = 1/80 sec but you can get lower with image stablisation depending on what's IS is in camera or lens.

And another thing, keep maximum aperture below F8 because of difraction effect,less sharp.It has nothing to do with the lens but m4/3 sensor pixel spacing, others may disagree but can test it for themselveves.If too bright reduce iso or use ND filter
(neutral density filter to reduce light input).If really no choice then use F8 or more,
your call?

http://bejo-photography.blogspot.sg/2015/03/my-thoughts-on-olympus-pen-e-pl6.html

Last edited:
Hi. My inputs below are with reference to your Canon 6D.

1. Switch to compact zoom lenses. You can consider a cheap telephoto zoom to complement your 18-55mm

2. Get a moderate in-between lens, like a 16-85mm, or 24-70mn f/4? This way, you just get one lens, some weight, but the mid-range angle of view.

As for the Olympus, as mentioned, you can consider getting prime lenses. M

Thanks!

Get a second hand Pany LX100. Compact, ez to travel with, lens with good focal length and aperture range. May even be cheaper than a used Oly 12-40.

I would think a 24/2.8 or 28/2.8 on the 5D should suffice.

I've done worse.
2-3 kids, camera gear (though smallish with a Pentax)

Its a matter of how you carry your stuff too.

Eg.
1. If you have a pram, you can actually put lots of stuff on it rather than carry.
2. Use a waist camera bag which is less taxing on the upper body
3. Use just 2-3 small primes (no need macho big/heavy f1.4; right sized lenses for the job )
4. Cross sling the camera rather than neck or single shoulder sling.

Last edited:
For Canon 5D I'd say get a 35/2 or 28/1.8. It's a best value for money wide primes capable of good environmental potraiture other than general shooting. A standard 3.5-4.5 zoom is nothing special. I'd use a phone camera and have result pretty close to it.
If u haven't alr, get one or the other. And later a fast 85 or 100. Just my 2 cents. Involve spending though, sorry. But it's worth it if ur an avid enthusiast.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I will bring my 5D with the 18-55 and my 85mm lens. This should be able to fit into a small sling bag.