Digital Level or Spirit Level?

SAMUELS

Nov 10, 2010
Hi guys, I'm looking for a level device, simply because my Manfrotto tripod doesnt have one. Not sure if i should get the spirit or digital one. Which would you recommend? Thanks.

Hi my friend, if you use iphone then you can download the digital level is free and very accurate
for your leveling needs.
I use it very often.

a liquid spirit level will not run out of battery, it will not short circuit in the rain, and you can drop it in the water and it will still work.

i haven't had any digital spirit levels, but i wager that water will be a major problem for it.

so i prefer a liquid spirit level.

Hi my friend, if you use iphone then you can download the digital level is free and very accurate
for your leveling needs.
I use it very often.

and you... place the iphone on top of your camera hotshoe area? :eek:

Yes, the software has various way to use try the apple app i remember there is more then one type, I use the carpenter type, even if you have to pay its just a dollar or two, but i do know there are free ware just look up for it.

and you... place the iphone on top of your camera hotshoe area? :eek:

My phone might just drop haha. I'm on Android, i have the level thing too but i guess its kinda risky to rest it on the hotshoe.

As for rain, i think my camera would probably die together with my digital level?

Im shooting the the viewfinder grid now since i dont have a level. works out pretty well but i guess sooner or later i need a level.

My phone might just drop haha. I'm on Android, i have the level thing too but i guess its kinda risky to rest it on the hotshoe.

As for rain, i think my camera would probably die together with my digital level?

Im shooting the the viewfinder grid now since i dont have a level. works out pretty well but i guess sooner or later i need a level.

i won't do it either...

your camera can take small amounts of rain. if it is weather sealed, it can take slightly larger amounts. of course, it is not advisable to subject this to rain. rain is not my main concern, i do a lot of seascapes, and it is easy to drop things into the water sometimes when you are caught by surprise by the waves.

the VF grid is not the best gauge of a level horizon, especially for singapore, where most rivers/coast have plots of land relatively close. this would mean that you might experience horizontal perspective distortion (google to read about this), and end up tilting the camera.

i won't do it either...

your camera can take small amounts of rain. if it is weather sealed, it can take slightly larger amounts. of course, it is not advisable to subject this to rain. rain is not my main concern, i do a lot of seascapes, and it is easy to drop things into the water sometimes when you are caught by surprise by the waves.

the VF grid is not the best gauge of a level horizon, especially for singapore, where most rivers/coast have plots of land relatively close. this would mean that you might experience horizontal perspective distortion (google to read about this), and end up tilting the camera.

yes i have been getting abit of distortion. thats why i think a level would be better. so far no digital level recommendations haha a spirit one is probably better.

Hotshoe Spirit Level is a expensive accessory which cost > $25 each . No choice if you need it :p

Hotshoe Spirit Level is a expensive accessory which cost > $25 each . No choice if you need it :p

nowadays got cheap cheap cheap one la... :sweat:

tago tech sells for $10.. i got mine for $5 or something in uk. :bsmilie:

Alternatively, get a body with built in leveling meter.

How about a dumpy level?

ap1e.jpg

leicana700.jpg

... Or even this instead? :bsmilie:

sokkiaset50rxreflectorl.jpg

npl3522030020dpi.jpg

Last edited: