Difference between SB600 and SB800

Status
Not open for further replies.
obviousdude said:
one other feature which i have not seen anyone emphasize, but which tilted the balance for me in favour of the SB-800 is it's ability to "pan" that allows you to bounce when in portrait mode.

SB-600 definitely can "pan", the head can both tilt and rotate.

wudabao said:
For grey set SB-800 sells 600, SB-600 sells 350-360 since grey set depending on the exchange rate, so SB-600 355 in average, then the price difference is 145

600 - 355 = 245

With this correction, does it change your opinion, since you save $245 and miss $155?

i have the SB800...its good...except maybe for its slightly cumbersome menus...

My Vote for SB800 :thumbsup:

With a better GN and added practical features like
Quick Recycle Battery Pack SD-800
Diffusion Dome SW-10H
1/128 for more control....

Was a great buy for me, and won't be regretting.

benedium said:
sigh... why flash so expensive... now then i know SB600 doesn't swivel/pan....

:what:
SB600 can swivel/pan what...

And by the way, you can bounce flash for SB600 as well... In fact, you can bounce flash for most, if not all, external flash. For this case, the SB800 has a little equippted bounce card at the top so you can use whenever you want, whereas SB600 doesn't. No problem there, juz take any cheapo white card & attach it to the flash and it works the same.

BTW I got myself a SB600 not too long ago. I've been deciding between this 2 flashes as well. But I chose the cheaper 1 cos I feel SB600 is good enough for me already, not as if I'm a pro (or a lot of $$ to spare! :p ). Of cos you'd eventually upgrade when you get better. But when the time comes, I guess there'll be more advance flashes already... never ending.

reflecx said:
SB-600 definitely can "pan", the head can both tilt and rotate.

600 - 355 = 245

With this correction, does it change your opinion, since you save $245 and miss $155?
:embrass: :embrass: sorry
:bsmilie:
anyway, support SB-800. I may consider upgrade my SB-1600 to SB-2200

anyway i started eating plain maggie mee already...saving up for the SB-800 :D

zorro18 said:
Digipat, buy the SB600 if not hardcore photographer...then u can at least afford 1 x egg prata. :D

yaya! i plan to buy SB600 in future :lovegrin:

benedium said:
sigh... why flash so expensive... now then i know SB600 doesn't swivel/pan.... And many people say buying Sigma 500DG Super is not advisable... cos of unknown compatibility issues... Anybody have used both these flashes on D70 can comment?

Chinese saying:

"One cents money, one cents goods!" :dunno:

Eh dudes, you all think and talk too much :nono: when in doubt, just BUY EVERYTHING!!!

BUY BUY BUY!!!

:bsmilie:

I have been checking the web, doesn't seem to have a bounce card available for SB600. So anyone tested, is the cheapo method of attaching a white card on the flash for bouncing work well?

How is it being attached? secure with scotch tape?

Tigger said:
I have been checking the web, doesn't seem to have a bounce card available for SB600. So anyone tested, is the cheapo method of attaching a white card on the flash for bouncing work well?

How is it being attached? secure with scotch tape?

As a matter of fact i would use velcro on flash and another piece on a white card board eg(VHS tape plastic cover -white) -> can cut to shape ;)

silverbeem said:
As a matter of fact i would use velcro on flash and another piece on a white card board eg(VHS tape plastic cover -white) -> can cut to shape ;)

my method is to use one of those "livestrong" or similar rubber bands (small size for sb600 and i think medium for sb800) put around flash head. works like a charm, can slot in anything and it holds it tight:)

obviousdude said:
haha, too much BUY BUY BUY liao.

now can't even BUY BUY BUY prata kosong? :bsmilie:

hahaaaa, lets join the EAT EAT EAT grass queue:bsmilie:

According to the manuals, the SB600 min. recycle time is shorter than that of SB800.

e.g. for NiMH 2000mA x 4 batteries, SB800=4s, SB600=2.5s. with 5x batteries, SB800=2.9s, still slower than SB600.

SB600 will also last longer, 220 flashes vs 150 flashes of SB800.

I suppost this spec is at max. output intensity. Dunno how they compare at same output light intensity.

room2vroom said:
According to the manuals, the SB600 min. recycle time is shorter than that of SB800.

e.g. for NiMH 2000mA x 4 batteries, SB800=4s, SB600=2.5s. with 5x batteries, SB800=2.9s, still slower than SB600.

SB600 will also last longer, 220 flashes vs 150 flashes of SB800.

I suppost this spec is at max. output intensity. Dunno how they compare at same output light intensity.
That's because the SB800's GN is 38 (ISO100/m), and SB600's GN is 30 (ISO100/m). SB800 is more powerfull than SB600.

Regards,
Arto.

for SB600:
~ Flash Coverage : Automatic 24 to 85mm zoom; 14mm with built-in wide flash adapter ~

does it mean this flash is only can function within 24mm~85mm??
does it means when i zoom to 105mm, this flash is not function anymore??

thanks!;p

kalvinhui said:
for SB600:
~ Flash Coverage : Automatic 24 to 85mm zoom; 14mm with built-in wide flash adapter ~

does it mean this flash is only can function within 24mm~85mm??
does it means when i zoom to 105mm, this flash is not function anymore??

thanks!;p
Nope, the flash will only adjust it's zoom head up to maximum 85mm, for the SB-800/80DX 105mm.

Even if you use a 500mm f/4 glass, it will only max out the zoom adjustment to 85/105.

Even if you use a 500mm f/4 glass, it will only max out the zoom adjustment to 85/105.[/QUOTE]

meaning to say the flash is still working when i zoom up to 200mm lar...
ok, i think i'll grab a sb600.....thanks!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.