Difference between SB600 and SB800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it will work, the flash GN is dependant also on the ISO and aperture value used.

SB-600: good
SB-800: BETTER

Seriously, I got myself a SB-800 but find myself using only TTL mode. I've been under-utilisting the features.
Prolly cos I'm a gear wanker and hardly shoot anything that needs all the advanced features.

Just realised this was a thread started so long ago.. :bigeyes:

yanyewkay said:
SB-600: good
SB-800: BETTER

Seriously, I got myself a SB-800 but find myself using only TTL mode. I've been under-utilisting the features.
Prolly cos I'm a gear wanker and hardly shoot anything that needs all the advanced features.

Just realised this was a thread started so long ago.. :bigeyes:
If not using TTL mode, then what you expect to shoot at? :dunno:

no lah.. there are other functions like Manual and the multiple flash thingy where you set the hertz and number of times to flash thingy (stroboscopic effect), there's the AA mode (asian aerospace ;p ) which I do not know how to use also.

But TTL works good for me. :D i would say I haven't reach a stage where I have fully utilised the SB-800.

yanyewkay said:
no lah.. there are other functions like Manual and the multiple flash thingy where you set the hertz and number of times to flash thingy (stroboscopic effect), there's the AA mode (asian aerospace ;p ) which I do not know how to use also.

But TTL works good for me. :D i would say I haven't reach a stage where I have fully utilised the SB-800.

i use the SB800's SU-4 mode as for background lighting with my bro's Fujifilm F10 and my Minolta S304.

loudhailer said:
i use the SB800's SU-4 mode as for background lighting with my bro's Fujifilm F10 and my Minolta S304.
That's just a slave function.

Try using SB-800 with another 2-5 other SB-800s and the full colour gel filter set(s).

benedium said:
sigh... why flash so expensive... now then i know SB600 doesn't swivel/pan.... And many people say buying Sigma 500DG Super is not advisable... cos of unknown compatibility issues... Anybody have used both these flashes on D70 can comment?

I tried both (borrowed from friend) and tested it... not much a different. save your money for perata...so finally i bought sb600, no regret, after few asignment got back my money...go for SB600, remmember! its man behind the camera that count....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

you cant use commander mode in sb600 isnt it? so which means u cant have creative lighting and use your flash wirelessly? thats a draw back.

stevenek3 said:
you cant use commander mode in sb600 isnt it? so which means u cant have creative lighting and use your flash wirelessly? thats a draw back.
SB-600 does not come with a slave mode IIRC either.

However, D70, D200 can trigger SB-600 in CLS mode to achieve CLS with the built in flash.

D70 can only trigger on Channel 3 Group A, whilst D200 offers more options.

im a noob

With the sb600, can i fire the flash wirelessly? like eg from the side of the subject without having my built in flash fired? what is this term called? im confused with slave and commander

Since we on topic of flash, need to ask something...... why when I connect my 50mm to my cam and on my flash, the data show 14mm instead of 50mm??:dunno:

N-user said:
Since we on topic of flash, need to ask something...... why when I connect my 50mm to my cam and on my flash, the data show 14mm instead of 50mm??:dunno:
did u read the manual?

your diffuser is attached lah deh.... :rolleyes:

stevenek3 said:
im a noob

With the sb600, can i fire the flash wirelessly? like eg from the side of the subject without having my built in flash fired? what is this term called? im confused with slave and commander

SB600=slave only

D70/s/D200 built-in flash=commander

D70-built-in flash just send signal to yr SB600 by some flash.(will not contribute to the picture exposure)

D200-built-in flash, able to set the flash in TTL/A/M/OFF mode to let you control the picture exposure.(will still send the signal via flashes)

markccm said:
did u read the manual?

OIC.... :embrass: ........ must go and RTFM again...... :devil:

markccm said:
did u read the manual?

Chill lah dude. :thumbsup:

Artosoft said:
That's because the SB800's GN is 38 (ISO100/m), and SB600's GN is 30 (ISO100/m). SB800 is more powerfull than SB600.

Regards,
Arto.

Just for info, in terms of power, GN38 is merely 1/3 stop more powerful than GN30. And we all know that 1/3 stop is not that significant. For example, in fill-flash, between using -0.7EV and -1EV, you could only see the difference unless you observe carefully.

Recycling time is more important. When I do not use full-power, I can fire almost immediately my SB600 without having to wait.

smallaperture said:
Just for info, in terms of power, GN38 is merely 1/3 stop more powerful than GN30. And we all know that 1/3 stop is not that significant. For example, in fill-flash, between using -0.7EV and -1EV, you could only see the difference unless you observe carefully.

Recycling time is more important. When I do not use full-power, I can fire almost immediately my SB600 without having to wait.
Pro advice :thumbsup:

smallaperture said:

SB800 is only 1/3 stop more powerfull than SB600.... :think: .

Let say SB800 is 38 - 30 = 8 / 30 * 100 = 26.67% more power than SB600. It is more than quarter of SB600's GN power :bigeyes: . Somemore, the longest zoom for SB600 is 85mm, while SB800 is 105mm.

Do you know how much is price different between 50mm/f1.4 lens and 50mm/f1.8 lens?

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.