Did authorities do enough during recent flood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is more important IMO, is what steps will be taken to prevent a similar incident from happening again.

Which was why I opened the thread. But seems that we must follow the government's stance. Dont make comments unless you have solutions... makes me think what our highly paid ministers are paid for....

Haha who said anything about Government bashing.... you wanted suggestions before I can make comments so I give comments even though it is dumb. Reason?? It is to illustrate the point that it is because we dont know what to do that is why we depend on the authorities to do something and when things dont think out well, we are supposed to keep silent?

Of course I know the sandbag thing is dumb but as some here said must give solutions then can make comments mah..... By the way I am a combat engineer.
2! 3! 4!

I didn't say that must have solution before comments. Anyway, it's the holiday season, chill out yah?

yes yes 2,3,4 Engineers dont count 123, We start with 2. Why trying to verify if I am one? Wink... haha okay relax yah...

I am not aiming at anyone but I just feel that it is sad when one makes comments, one is labelled government bashing, when one feels that there is something wrong, one must first have solutions before one can speak. Which brings me to the point, sometimes maybe I say maybe things slipped their mind and we are just pointing it out. Is that wrong?

No wonder there is the thought among the populace. loyalty to Country means loyalty to party. If you dont agree with party policies then u are disloyal, subversive and dangerous. sigh..........

I believe in the 1980s, massive drainage systems were built around the very areas that are now flooded to prevent a repeat of a major flash flood in 1981 in which as some say the entire Bukit Timah became a swimming lagoon. How come this drainage systems have not worked as they should? I would say we were really lucky no one died in this flash flood, in case some here dont remember, just a few years back, a kid died when he fell into a drain that was covered by flood waters, his mother tried to catch his hand but it was to no avail.

Frankly yes no one is saying that the flood was predictable, it was a flash flood. Sudden and deadly if someone died but we are lucky now only cars died, but what I am asking is if more have been done and implemented and perhaps we can learn from this incident and improve.

And yes I will be writing a letter to the press, let's just cross our fingers it will be published.

Having drains (whether big or small) is not the magic solution to any flooding problem. The main problem lies in how high or low the land in question is to the sea level.

For a low lying area, even with the largest of drains, if you are suay enough to have heavy rainfalls meet with an high tide at sea, the area will still be flooded.

The only real long term solution is to have the land reclaimed to a level higher than the sea level. Obviously, this is a very expensive solution.

As for cars being stuck in the flood, I'm not sure if there's even anything you can do to change people's ignorance. If you see a road that's obviously covered in water, its raining heavily, common sense would tell you that you should not drive on.

In spore's context where a large majority of people live in flats, the probability of someone drowing or being swept away in a flood is very remote. Of course, if that person choses to act stupid and go swimming in a flooded area or canal, then all bets are off.

That's the convenient way to answering.

../azul123

And it's also very convenient to blame it on the government for anything bad that happens.

It's the reality of life. It's just like doing up your house. You can splurge on something, but that oftens means you will have to sacrifice something else. Unless you have unlimited resources.... which is of course an unrealistic assumption.

Which was why I opened the thread. But seems that we must follow the government's stance. Dont make comments unless you have solutions... makes me think what our highly paid ministers are paid for....

Now that's irresponsible for you. I merely used the word 'how'. I never said don't make comments, or even anything along those lines. But if this is the level of reasoning you're capable of, I rest my case. Hope you lead a happy life.

yes yes 2,3,4 Engineers dont count 123, We start with 2. Why trying to verify if I am one? Wink... haha okay relax yah...

I am not aiming at anyone but I just feel that it is sad when one makes comments, one is labelled government bashing, when one feels that there is something wrong, one must first have solutions before one can speak. Which brings me to the point, sometimes maybe I say maybe things slipped their mind and we are just pointing it out. Is that wrong?

No wonder there is the thought among the populace. loyalty to Country means loyalty to party. If you dont agree with party policies then u are disloyal, subversive and dangerous. sigh..........

OT: Why 2,3,4? :think:

Yes, let's just please keep the discussion to facts and not name calling. Its Christmas time, let's be civil for once. :cool:

OT: Why 2,3,4? :think:

Yes, let's just please keep the discussion to facts and not name calling. Its Christmas time, let's be civil for once. :cool:
national secret. :D

counting from 2 may save our lives. ;)

Unfortunately, even if you give 6 months notice, you cannot control how much rain that is coming down from the top. You see my point? If I did not read wrongly from some sources, our drainage system is supposed to be able to take 3x our average monthly rainfall (which I felt was more than sufficient to handle the country's needs). Just ask yourself how many flooding cases do we have in a week? In a month? In a year? Chances are it is almost close to zero. However, the way Mother Nature works is that you will not be able to predict sudden weather phenomenon, and perhaps take precautionary measures. Even if I give you 3 days advance notice, do you guys seriously think the rain would cause such massive flooding? Personally, I do not. It is just like how Mother Nature torments those countries with a sudden massive Earthquake, or a Tsunami out of nowhere. The only thing the Govt can do is just to make sure their citizens can get the latest info so that they can make emergency plans (Perhaps they could do more by reporting more info via TV, which is clearly lacking). But the extent of Govt's role in this "disaster" is clearly quite limited here. Let's be fair and not point everything at something which is not within the control of the ruling party.

the ruling party represents and run the country right? Therefore they set the rules on how the country is to be run and behave. To go against the rules (aka law) is an offense. Depending on the severity, the punishments range from simple and small fines to jail and caning.

I hope you get the gist.

national secret. :D

counting from 2 may save our lives. ;)

Combat engineers got 3 balls while the rest of us got only 2.

Back to the topic, I think we should cut the authorities some slack for this case, the last big flood was way back in 1975, a generation ago. Anyway, these "authorities" are always ready to deal with the last big thing, be it 911, tsunami, Nicoll Highway collapse, etc. If got something new happen, all kanang kabo (sorry wrong spelling) again. Maybe next one is earthquake or terrorist attack. Just my 0.02 cents.

but at the end of the disaster, we have a speech, "we have pulled through it together dispite the difficulities, the authorities have done a good job to yada yada...er have attained %%% which good given the conditions.. blablabla.." :bsmilie: sounds familiar?

ps: I go back nee soon give you extra ball then you know

And it's also very convenient to blame it on the government for anything bad that happens.

It's the reality of life. It's just like doing up your house. You can splurge on something, but that oftens means you will have to sacrifice something else. Unless you have unlimited resources.... which is of course an unrealistic assumption.
Blame? where? which post and when? asking questions = blame?

../azul123

My fault lah. Sigh...

Merry Christmas everyone :)
The skies are clearing, at least for now, at least at my side. Going Christmas shopping already :)

i heard from my dad, dunno where he heard from that in singapore, the monsoon canals are designed to work well, except for a flood once every 20 yrs or so. They can obviously build better ones @ much higher costs but to me it's too high a price to bear.

Developed country or not, doesn't matter.. u still see developed countries kena natural disasters.. and frankly if u ask me, this is a good time for singaporeans to actually see that we are not so invulnerable, with the flash floods and power outage

Chill out friend. When you shared your ideas in a public forum, this is the kind of response you'll get. To you, its sharing your ideas. But to them, its like fighting to prove something! Do remember that you're in a forum with people of different ages. Some are still too young to contribute sensible stuffs. Hence, no point get heated over this. :)

Chill out friend. When you shared your ideas in a public forum, this is the kind of response you'll get. To you, its sharing your ideas. But to them, its like fighting to prove something! Do remember that you're in a forum with people of different ages. Some are still too young to contribute sensible stuffs. Hence, no point get heated over this. :)

haha thanks Palvin... yeah sometimes I forget that I am a old man and there are kids here.. oppps better excuse my language if not I get accused of instigating wrong ideas and that I am a ungrateful citizen.

Merry Xmas to you... :)

Anyway if Mod doesn't mind, can the thread be closed?

The purpose of the thread being to provide a discussion about the flood operations has now the danger of becoming a who is for and who is against the govt discussion...which was never the intended purpose.

Thank you Mod.

haha thanks Palvin... yeah sometimes I forget that I am a old man and there are kids here.. oppps better excuse my language if not I get accused of instigating wrong ideas and that I am a ungrateful citizen.

Merry Xmas to you... :)

FYI. The Thread Starter can close the thread.
I used to get heated over negative comments and i just sent them to my ignore list. Hehe...

Merry Christmas centuryegg! ;)

From my personal point of view as a new Citizen of Singapore, I felt that Singaporeans in general have stayed in too great a comfort. As such, little inconveniences render huge number of complaints.

Back to where I was previously - Jakarta, floods, blackouts, an contaminated water supply is pretty much a norm!

Ever waking up to find slippers floating beside you? Maybe for Singaporeans in the age group of 60s 70s.
How about blackouts that lasted for days instead of hours?
Ever turned on your taps to find coloured water supply for days?

I've experienced all of the abovementioned examples and I find the floods and blackouts Singapore had experienced are nothing worth complaining about.

In Jakarta, all it take is a few hours of heavy downpour and you'll see floods forming. Let it rain for a few days like what we've experienced couple of days ago, and you can swim without purchasing swimming complex ticket.

Anyone interested to keep a snake? just wait.. if you are "lucky" enough, you'll see snake swimming :sweat:

Worst experienced ever for me was when the road are flooded for about 4 Days, and due to that reason, electricity supplies are disconnected from power station. This lasted for about 4 Nights.

Without electricity, water pump can't work. Therefore, to gain access to water stored in my underground water tank, we got to use ropes & buckets. Most houses there are also equipped with roof-top water tank. So at least we've sufficient backup to last for a few days.

No illumination in the dark? Fret not! Candles, emergency lamps are all on standby for usage.
----
Singapore, 2004.

Massive blackouts affecting 300,000 homes. My house in Bedok was affected as well. Lit candle, opened my main door, only to find my neighbours literally dashing out of their homes, staring and looking at each other cluelessly, and apparently they're not prepared for this. Their eyes looked like a child eyeing a candy (candle on my hand) :bsmilie:
----

My experience in JKT just made me appreciate the living standard in SG more. Once in a blue moon blackouts, floods.. bah.. carry on with life

Oh well, just my POV, sharing of experience, and my 200 rupiah :)

Status
Not open for further replies.