Demb Flash Diffuser/pop-up flash combi - anyone tried b4?

revividus

Dec 6, 2009
Hi all,

Newbie alert. :)

Gear: Canon 500D, 18-55mm kit lens and 50mm f/1.8. Sirui tripod.
Types of photos: Many group shots (indoor, outdoor), young children, portraits, pets.. hopefully try landscape for an upcoming beach holiday
Usage: I take photos mainly on special occasions

Question:
Has anyone tried this set-up?

Demb Flash Diffuser Pro-10 by Simplyness.Com_Busy, on Flickr

I have the cheapie $10 pop-up flash diffuser and I'd like to know if anyone can share their shots/experience on the difference between the 2. Personally I find the $10 diffuser softens the light pretty ok for my taste ($10 mah!), but the glaring flash can be painful for my subject since i'd be pretty close to him/her.

I intend to take some indoor evening shots (like in restaurants) of people (group + candids) for this upcoming holiday so I'm wondering which combi to use. I'd like to hear from anyone who can advise if the difference between these combis are huge enough to warrant me on spending more.

1) Demb Flash Diffuser Set-up like above (i.e. with pop-up flash)
2) Demb Flash Diffuser + Rented Canon Speedlite 430EX II
3) Existing set-up ($10 diffuser + pop-up flash)

I intend to rent either Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 or Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 or Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 for the same occasion btw. Haven't decided. If you have any suggestions on this, I'd love to hear them too. I really love the UWA on Tokina based on shots from Flickr, but I'm a little worried on potentially losing some opportunity shots e.g. a bird on a nearby tree. ;p

Last edited:
I feel that the light source for pop up flash is too low to be effective. a dedicated flash gun will be better. In addition the strobe AF assisting might be irritating.

11-16 range might be a little restrictive. I'll go for EFS 17-55 f2.8 for your purpose. :D

BTW, to link your picture properly, follow the steps here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/832975-Posting-your-picture-from-flickr

Thanks very much! Updated the post to show the picture. :)

Could you kindly explain the strobe AF assisting bit in more details? Cannot quite understand =X

Okay, I think I should take your lens suggestion as a serious contender! I did read that it's a great walkabout lens, in that case I'll leave my kit lens at home. hehe

Thanks again!

Since 500D doesn't have a AF assist lamp, it uses the pop up flash to assist in AF during dim conditions. :)

btw, your current set up + flash gun is enough to do the job. But if you want to explore new gears, yeah feel free to rent and try them out.

I would suggest you buy an external flash for the AF assist lamp. The 500D uses strobes of flash as it's AF assist. I personally think one should not use that strobing flash to AF on your living subjects as It irritates the hell out of living subjects.

But take note, some external flash have weak AF assist lamp too....

Hello both,

Thanks so much for the advice. Yah I think I get what you mean now haha.

Buy a 2nd hand yongnuo for $90 or rent a canon 430 for $15? what ya think? Will the yongnuo be too weak for me to invest? Then still need to get the bounce card right? :)

Actually I think external flash can be a bit intimidating to the subjects also... you know lah, when u take it out and all your friends stiffen up... Lol. But I guess we'll get used to it. ^^

Thanks again! Cheers!

if they stiffen up, it's the photographer's job to "unstiffen" them :)

Ahahaha.. I should probably get all of them drunk then. :p