delay when using external flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_r_i_a

Jan 28, 2002
Singapore
i just tried the canon speedlite 420ex with my canon pro 90is and it does compensate the pro 90is under low light condition. however i find that there is a delay (probably 0.5s) after you fully press the shutter button. why? it is normal to digital cameras when using external flash? i think this is not good, i ended up a lot of waste shots when taking moving objects or people.

:( :( :(

Originally posted by i_r_i_a
i just tried the canon speedlite 420ex with my canon pro 90is and it does compensate the pro 90is under low light condition. however i find that there is a delay (probably 0.5s) after you fully press the shutter button. why? it is normal to digital cameras when using external flash? i think this is not good, i ended up a lot of waste shots when taking moving objects or people.

:( :( :(

That's probably the usual focus/shutter lag. Or could be red eye reduction in action.

Regards
CK

I think it's E-TTL at work. I remember reading that there is a noticeable lag in the Pro90 between the pre-flash and the actual exposure.

iria: is there an immediate pre-flash, followed by a lag before the shutter fires, together with the flash a second time?

Originally posted by StreetShooter
I think it's E-TTL at work. I remember reading that there is a noticeable lag in the Pro90 between the pre-flash and the actual exposure.

iria: is there an immediate pre-flash, followed by a lag before the shutter fires, together with the flash a second time?

yup, there is a pre-flash and follow by a second flash with the shutter fires under program, shutter-priority and aperture-priority mode. but i think there is no pre-flash under manual mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.