Define a good tripod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
denniskee said:
What is tripod no. 3, looks much bigger then 055, & I thought 055 is big. What its loading capacity?

Can't remember liao, do a search, should be this one:

Gitzo MK2 Inter Pro Studex Performance Tripod Legs w/Sliding Column (Height 19-74", Maximum Load 22 lbs)
but with manfrotto 410 junior geared head. This tripod doesn't fit the point no 4, and 5 mention by Ortega

Use another 2 tripod before, manfrotto 058, and a one bigger than 058 but discontinue in production. The last things you want to see is someone kicks and topple your tripod with camera mounted on. :eek:

Manfrotto 055 is highly recommendable if you using a 35mm camera or a light weight medium format camera.

Any one can suggest a suitable tripod for Canon G6 ? Will be using it mostly for night shots only. Thanks. :D

denniskee said:
What is tripod no. 3, looks much bigger then 055, & I thought 055 is big. What its loading capacity?

#3 looks is the tripod for a M60, it might be able to take a bazooka as well.

:bigeyes: :bsmilie:

ortega said:
#3 looks is the tripod for a M60, it might be able to take a bazooka as well.

:bigeyes: :bsmilie:

shouldn't post here also, posted to wrong sub-forum liao. :embrass:

anyway, that's is for use wif RB67.

got any good tripod to recom. them? mine are too big liao. :confused:

I only know and love my 055, slik mini-pro and my monopod
I have lost track of what else is in the market

BTW I used my 055 for a RZ67 that I used to have, sturdy enough no need for your monster.

20d is very lightweight...in addition for travelling purpose, just get a $100 +/- lightweight SILK tripod will do. enabling noise reduction and/or MLU for the nightshots will also help

it is not only the camera weight that needs consideration, lens and flash will add to the weight as well.

Big Kahuna said:
....otherwise it will became a white elephant at home :thumbsup:

Good advice. I could remember my first serious tripod was a heavy Slik model some 12 years ago. Sturdy it was; and because of the weight, it stay home 99% of the time. :bsmilie:

chgoh

Hi Stephanie

I've been in the UK for just over 4 years and I brought over a Manfrotto 190 tripod with a 141RC head and it has been serving my faithfully. The only complain i have is the tripod is kinda heavy, when coupled with the head. Now I have to think of how I can bring it back without incurring on additional charges on the flight back! I think I'll just ship it back with the rest of my stuff! ha!

There are a lot of new Manfrotto tripods out there that are designed for use with DSLRs and are pretty lightweight. If you are not using really big lenses, then a regular manfrotto 718SHB ot a 718B would be good enough. They are only about 1.2-1.4kg with a 3 way head and can be easily carried around. Not sure of the prices in Singapore though. Can't remember how much I paid for my tripod combo already. It's been a few years!

Hope this has been helpful.

Matt

Can anyone recommend a good style/design for mini tripods. OR can you give me the pro's and con's of them. I've seen the one's with thick bendable wire, and then the one that looks like scissors with a third foot that snaps out. I think I like the latter, but don't know much about these. I've got a Cannon AE-1P without intent to change any time soon.

hmm..i'm currently on manfrotto 055, but i think it'a little overkill.

depending on budget, grab one of those manfrotto 190 tripod if u dun wish to spend too much now, or grab a gitzo cf and make it a one time purchase.

if u ever get a slik, make sure the head is removable, most of the slik 3 way head sucks quite bad.

~MooEy~

Jess said:
Can anyone recommend a good style/design for mini tripods. OR can you give me the pro's and con's of them. I've seen the one's with thick bendable wire, and then the one that looks like scissors with a third foot that snaps out. I think I like the latter, but don't know much about these. I've got a Cannon AE-1P without intent to change any time soon.

I have a slik mini-pro and it works fine with light weight equipment and for travel

The bendable wire thingy looks like to is only good for light compacts, the sissors mini tropod looks more sturdy.

Go to the shop and try them out with your camera mounted, see if it can hold your camera firmly. Just try the sissors thingy and forget about the bendable wire. Alt you can also diy a beanbag to hold your camera on any horizontal surface (you can also use it as a pillow while travelling)

Thank you for the information. In case anyone drops in this thread later in searches, I did find a site with some good information here.

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/minitripods-review.html

There are a lot more styles of mini tripods than I thought there were. The ones I was considering aren't even on that site, but at least they give an idea of what to expect from dif. styles etc. so you can get what you need. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.