Darn! We bought F-15s for RSAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Singapore should invest in AMRAAM missiles together with the F-15. It will just make our force stronger.

Bernard Ong said:
Singapore should invest in AMRAAM missiles together with the F-15. It will just make our force stronger.

We did... see earlier posts for complete list of toys that comes with the F-15....
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=1524310&postcount=45

Imagine you drop a JDAM from high altitude from a strike eagle......
The poor guy can be in the toilet taking a poop when all walls get blown off and he doesn't even know what happened.

And when you scramble Mig-29s to hunt for the F-15, your realise that,
"Darn, my Mig-29 did not come with any long range AIM...."

Zplus said:
We did... see earlier posts for complete list of toys that comes with the F-15....
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=1524310&postcount=45

Imagine you drop a JDAM from high altitude from a strike eagle......
The poor guy can be in the toilet taking a poop when all walls get blown off and he doesn't even know what happened.

And when you scramble Mig-29s to hunt for the F-15, your realise that,
"Darn, my Mig-29 did not come with any long range AIM...."

Haha.. good point:thumbsup:
That may be the real reason why RSAF chose F-15 with it's toys.

Guess the next big contract for the air force will be the official selection of the medium lift helicopters. With the NH90 in the front running, doesn't seem to be much of a competition.

Terence said:
Guess the next big contract for the air force will be the official selection of the medium lift helicopters. With the NH90 in the front running, doesn't seem to be much of a competition.
My guess is new AWACS. Our E-2Cs are getting old.

evq said:
My guess is new AWACS. Our E-2Cs are getting old.

As mentioned earlier, there is a little publicised acquisition of a G-550 AEW SIGINT platform and recent interest in the RQ-4 Global Hawk.

Terence said:
As mentioned earlier, there is a little publicised acquisition of a G-550 AEW SIGINT platform and recent interest in the RQ-4 Global Hawk.

Yup. Noticed that.
Btw, RSAF & RSN are doing lots of buying & upgrading.
What about the army? Put Primus & Bonix aside, aren't our SM1 tank a bit too old?

Time to buy the M1A1. Although I have heard rumours of a new Isreali/British tank under reviews.....

Yup, should upgrade our SM1 tanks while maintaining its light mobility.

Zplus said:
Its a F-15T version. Made just for Singapore.
F-15 Terrible....;p
F-15 Tan Dio!!!! :bsmilie:

Jokes aside... its configured as a Strike Eagle but with downgraded technology for the moment. The F-15 is currently the top fighter in the US until the delivery of the F-22... as such, they would not be providing us the best technology yet.

The worrying part is that the US is phasing out the F-15 in favour of the F-22. So I expect that the F-15 would not be further developed due to cost issues. This is different from the F-16 in which the US has a active buyer (Isreal) which saw the development of newer capabilities. The F-16 still has some time to go before the JSF gets deveoped.
;)

Dun worry, our Mindef is good in upgrading the technology..... & name it "made in Singapore". Like the SM1 or M113 ultra. Maybe we will upgrade it to call F-15S (Singapore) or F15T (like wat u say)

Shodan99 said:
Time to buy the M1A1. Although I have heard rumours of a new Isreali/British tank under reviews.....
Where is ur source from?
Which models?

Zerstorer said:
If he really said that, then the pilot deserved to die for failing his ID test.

Fulcrums are mig 29s. Mig 27s floggers are easy prey.
Den all the pilots in the movie Top Gun ought to be sacked for calling the F5-Tiger as a MiG. :bsmilie:

And in the final scene where the CO of the Carrier said that the boogeys are carrying Exocet Anti-Ship missiles that can hit them from a 100 miles, we dun see the exocet mounted on the 'MiGs'.

How abt when Tom Cruise did 'The Bird' by doing an inverted turn directly on top of the MiG? :sweat:

Bernard Ong said:
I believed that we bought 200 AMRAAM a year ago that caused a big hoo-ha with 'that one up there'?

But due to security reasons, I believe the missiles would only be delivered to Singapore in an imminent case of war. If not, the missiles stay in US.

evq said:
Yup. Noticed that.
Btw, RSAF & RSN are doing lots of buying & upgrading.
What about the army? Put Primus & Bonix aside, aren't our SM1 tank a bit too old?
Replace the SM1 with the M1A2 Abrams. :D

jsbn said:
Replace the SM1 with the M1A2 Abrams. :D

IIRC, that book by Tim Huxley said that Spore had some centurion tanks too. Not sure how accurate that is tho.

Hobbesyeo said:
IIRC, that book by Tim Huxley said that Spore had some centurion tanks too. Not sure how accurate that is tho.

They were based overseas for training, but I don't think they are on strength any more.

Hobbesyeo said:
Centurions.... :bigeyes:

We'll need ICBM soon. :)

SM1 tanks are retained for a reason. Heard during my NS sit down for kopi talk, that it was due to our projected operation area some where in the "north". Its small enough to manuver there.... if we get big MBTs like M1A1, they will be sitting ducks for a small two man team with anti tank missiles.

Actually tanks are very vulnerable to infantry weapons, they are good for terrains like desert, bush and open areas where infantry can't hide. For forests, urban areas..... one team firing down from a higher point is enough take out a platoon of tanks before they know what hit them.

Zplus said:
I guess our guys stationed in France with the Super Skyhawks must have evaluated the Rafale while our F-16 guys in the US evaluated the F-15 Strike Eagle.

I guess its partly political and partly weapons systems interoperability. If political... then I guess its played nicely... buy stealth ships from france and strike eagles from US.;p

The Rafale should be able to work with our systems since it is of NATO standards.

Probably the Americans are better at marketing....

Still look at M'sia... buy some MiG-29s and US offer huge discounts for F-18s.... (but operating 2 disparate systems is costly)

Maybe we should have bought a couple of Rafales as a bargaining chip...
;)

all three aircraft were evaluated here in singapore by RSSF's flight test centre...

centuryegg said:
SM1 tanks are retained for a reason. Heard during my NS sit down for kopi talk, that it was due to our projected operation area some where in the "north". Its small enough to manuver there.... if we get big MBTs like M1A1, they will be sitting ducks for a small two man team with anti tank missiles.

Actually tanks are very vulnerable to infantry weapons, they are good for terrains like desert, bush and open areas where infantry can't hide. For forests, urban areas..... one team firing down from a higher point is enough take out a platoon of tanks before they know what hit them.

Agreed. MBT is not suitable in this region. They are too big to move around in the Cities & jungle.
But, at least SAF should look into new light tank with better protection for the gunners.

Status
Not open for further replies.