Dark spots on D70 image; help

Status
Not open for further replies.

megkris

Jun 12, 2004
East/west
:bigeyes: :eek:

Hi

Help need regarding dark spot on top of image.

When i look thru the viewfinder, it does not show up and when i use my kit lens, on white sky its shows a small black blurry spot at the top when i load the image into the computer.

When i use my 50mm f/1.4, it doesn't show but when i stare hard enough i could see a faint black spot on white image.

Thot the kit lens was dirty and clean it together with my 50mm but its still showing. Is this becos the CCD is dirty and how do i go abt cleaning/rectifying it. Advise appreciated

tks :sweat:

I will post pics if i know how... :sweat: :eek:

Most probably is your CCD dirty.. dun worry try to use the blower kit to blow away.

I got such blur spots from my 300D recently too... I thought it was my lens, but realised that dust specks in lens will not show up on images...

So I flipped up my cam's pentamirror and used a blower to blow the CCD... it worked...

Hope this helps... :)

Never blow the CCD with a blower.

Just send in to Nikon Singapore for CCD cleaning.

espn said:
Never blow the CCD with a blower.

Just send in to Nikon Singapore for CCD cleaning.

Why...? will that damage the ccd....?

Jia Wang said:
I got such blur spots from my 300D recently too... I thought it was my lens, but realised that dust specks in lens will not show up on images...

So I flipped up my cam's pentamirror and used a blower to blow the CCD... it worked...

Pardon me. What you did is a no no. You will ruin your CCD. Maybe it is really damaged. :dunno:

Robin said:
Why...? will that damage the ccd....?

Mr Pok,

Ya the CCD will be damaged, unlike film where you get a new frame each time. With CCDs once dust gets in it stays there. I'd send it for professional cleaning. Don't DIY.

tks all for your helpful advice.

Will send in to nikon service centre this week. Anybody knows whether there will be any costs. I just bot it last month.

Cheers :)

Jia Wang said:

Hi!

1. 300D has a CMOS sensor. not CCD.
2. The pentamirror cannot be flipped. It's behind the focus screen. What you flipped was the reflex mirror.
3. Do NOT manually flip the reflex mirror. Use the sensor cleaning function to get it out of the way.
4. Using a blower (no brush) on the sensor is recommended by Canon (despite what the other say. RTFM before making others panic). be careful not to touch the sensor.
5. if the blower dont work, send it in. Canon charges $20 for a sensor clean.

Just had mt D70 cleaned today....the spot has disappeared and the cleaning took less than 5mins..

tks for those that reply

cheers :D

headlesschook said:
Hi!

1. 300D has a CMOS sensor. not CCD.
2. The pentamirror cannot be flipped. It's behind the focus screen. What you flipped was the reflex mirror.
3. Do NOT manually flip the reflex mirror. Use the sensor cleaning function to get it out of the way.
4. Using a blower (no brush) on the sensor is recommended by Canon (despite what the other say. RTFM before making others panic). be careful not to touch the sensor.
5. if the blower dont work, send it in. Canon charges $20 for a sensor clean.

heheh... pls pardon me for my lack of technical knowhow... yup, I used the sensor cleaning function to get the reflex mirror up... and yup, blew without the brush of course... so glad to know that Canon recommended this procedure too... for a while I thought I screwed up my 300D... but anyway, been taking photos after the the blowing... image quality not affected leh... phew.. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.