D90 vs D300 Nightshoot ISO3200 w/o crop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me how much you can save with a second hand 24-70 unless the owner was mad. Maybe 200?

And 70-200? $400 and $2100 and $2100? The two lenses alone would exceed $4000. We all know you've got all the pro equipment there under your post as your sig. Just to be honest - Maybe a D90, 17-55 first? Thats a little more logical isn't it? Having a budget means you try not to exceed it and thats exceeding it by $1000. The 24-70 and 70-200mm is definitely better, heavier and 4 times more expensive. Buying the D90 and 18-200 would also go along way, but its up to personal preference. Also which focal do you use most? if its wide get the D90 and 14-24, mid range then 24-70 and tele 70-200. Then you'd have good glass for the range you use most. 24-70 would be a great walkaround lens if you can bother to carry the 900g weight of the lens alone with the camera.

The two lens don't exceed 4k definitely checked already. Should be exceeding 3k but not 4k. I'm sure.

Thanks guys, for all your advice and info...

How about the 12-24 F4 instead of the 14-24? I have read that the 14-24 is very good, but it is also relatively heavier and more expensive.

Given my highly limited knowledge and exposure to DSLR, but I think I may go for the following in order keep within my budget:
(a) 2nd-hand D90/D300;
(b) 2nd-hand 18-200 VR; and perhaps
(c) 2nd-hand 12-24 F4 (?).

.. and hopefully my wife will be willing to sponsor me the dry cabinet..

but well.. take a look..

new D300- from $2050 (mscolor, AP-F quote), compared to used tt range ard $1800 onwards, savings of $200 wun get u anywhere, better to invest in a new set than to buy an old set, same goes for D90, its so new and i guess no second hand will be worth getting..

lens wise, ur call

So I guess I have no choice but to hit back. Refer to link below.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403367
Link is above. Further more, This has been supported by many other comments on the lens, go search the forums I am not the only one to comment on this you know....
To Tkbonz, I don't know if that is a sarcastic comment but if you mean it as a question, the answer is it will not spoil your camera but just the lens.
To the others, Please check forums before making baseless claims.

I am sorry you thought that way but my post wasn't exactly a claim.

But I have re-read the thread in question, and I fail to find any mention of that lens "(spoiling) your camera eventually".

Please enlighten us? You haven't really done so.

I am sorry you thought that way but my post wasn't exactly a claim.

But I have re-read the thread in question, and I fail to find any mention of that lens "(spoiling) your camera eventually".

Please enlighten us? You haven't really done so.

Ok, it snot spoil your camera its spoil your lens. I mentioned it in my last post.

Thanks guys, for all your advice and info...

How about the 12-24 F4 instead of the 14-24? I have read that the 14-24 is very good, but it is also relatively heavier and more expensive.

Given my highly limited knowledge and exposure to DSLR, but I think I may go for the following in order keep within my budget:
(a) 2nd-hand D90/D300;
(b) 2nd-hand 18-200 VR; and perhaps
(c) 2nd-hand 12-24 F4 (?).

.. and hopefully my wife will be willing to sponsor me the dry cabinet..

Hey Dan,

Perhaps try Option (a) but get it new. I don't think you'll make substantial savings 2nd hand, you won't be sure what to check when you buy 2nd hand, and the warranty for your very first DSLR will give you peace of mind. Go try the D90 out at the shops and bring along an SD Card so you can view the pics.

I usually try out:

- Viewfinder, to see if its comfortable to what I'm used to,
- Ergonomics, do you like the fit/feel in your hands?
- Controls, since you are 1st time into a DSLR (I assume) might be harder for you to test this
- Lastly, take a few shots with the demo cam. Try ISO 200,400,800,1600,3200 Max Res Jpeg and RAW (if you plan to shoot in RAW).

Don't be afraid to try out the cameras at any of the decent shops (check the sticky thread). Try the cameras you're considering out. As long as you treat the demo sets well any of the decent salesmen will give you fairly good service.

Lastly, there's a lot of noise in the forums at times, don't be swayed by everyone's advice (including mine!), start small and develop your own taste :)

Hi,

A very interesting thread, I just thought it would be useful to contribute a little.

I think Nikon is positioning these two cameras at slightly different markets. So there are some differences in features between these two. In other words, you pay a bit more for a few extra features. These features definitely comes at a price.

My friend and I recently have the same discussion. I did some reading and came up with the following points:

- FPS: D300 is 6fps (8fps with grip), D90 4.5 fps (anyone know if there is a boost with grip?)
- A/D Converter: D300 uses 14 bit, D90 uses 12 bit
- AF Point: D300 has 51 max (15 cross type can be configured to be 11 as well), D90 has 11
- Metering system: D300 uses the 3500DX (1005 bit), D90 uses 1000 (450 bit)
- Viewfinder: D300 has 100% coverage, D90 has 96%
- Flash Sync: D300 has max 1/320 (with reduced GN), D90 is maxed at 1/200 (What the @#@ is reduced GN? :) )
- Shutter Speed: D300 is maxed at 1/8000, D90 is maxed at 1/4000
- Backeting: D300 has up to 9 frames, D90 is maxed at 3 frame
- Shutter: D300 is 150k certified, D90 is 100k certified
- Movie: D90 has movie mode (we all know that), D300 ...can take still pictures (obviously)
- D300 has better weather sealing than D90

There are more at Ken Rockwell's, as we all know http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm.

He basically points out many advantages of D90 over D300. As you may have noticed, I actually highlighted more of D300's strengths over D90. I just wanted find out for myself what is the price premium of D300 actually gives the consumer.

If someone reads the specs and start to wonder, why do I need 6/8fps instead of 4.5 or what the fish is a cross type AF point or what does bracketing do? then he/she is probably better off with the cheaper option.

Lastly, as mentioned by many contributors to this thread, the feel of the camera, the UI and familiarity is very important as well. However, is the few shots taken at a display booth, with an impatient sales person staring at you, enough for you to judge? Why not bring the cheapest one back and try? If it is good enough, then great. If not, this is why the second hand resale forum at clubsnap is so popular :D

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing all your valuable infos and pictures with mi.

Finally i have make up my decision and bought a
D300

Cheers!!!:)

Hi all, thanks for visiting this thread.

Juz to add on, i have also got myself :

1) nikon 18-200mm VR
2) nikon 50mm F1.8D

Juz wondering if i should get a SB800 or SB900?:)

I think D300 has weather sealing but the D90 do not have any form of sealing! Very different, but that is unless you have weather "sealed" lenses also like the 17-55.

As for night shooting, D300 beats D90 due to 14 bits processing and 12 bit processing, less low light details are lost but thats IF you are gonna pick out those details, which I feel personally is abit too much. Noise control is very very similar.

I got my D300 yesterday 22/08/2008 upgrading from D80, I would say that D300 is definitely a darn good camera. But if you are starting out, do NOT start with D300. The settings will overwhelm you and you will not be able to shoot properly without crashing into problems after problems. Start with D90, end with D300 (or D3)

Last edited:
since D90 sensor (noise ctrl) better than D300, will nikon put D90 sensor into D300?

IMHO, the best cam is the one that suit you most.

51 focus point vs 11 focus point

6 fps vs 4.5 fps

D90 more user friendly- with "info" button and fn program to my menu

D90 with Video

D300 better metering, able to use AIS lens

Judge for yourself which is important.

Cheers
:)

since D90 sensor (noise ctrl) better than D300, will nikon put D90 sensor into D300?

Guys, better read my post more accurately. D300 is BETTER than D90 in terms of low light due to D300's 14 bit processing and storage of photos in RAW. D90 only stores in 12 bit compressed RAW.

Guys, better read my post more accurately. D300 is BETTER than D90 in terms of low light due to D300's 14 bit processing and storage of photos in RAW. D90 only stores in 12 bit compressed RAW.

That only makes a difference if you're centered around a RAW workflow to squeeze out whatever dynamic range there is from the image sensor. If you are looking at ISO performance solely with regards to low light photography, there is really little difference between the D90 and D300.

Ken Rockwell rated D90 above D300 on noise performance :thumbsup:

Personally, if I'm shooting at night, I always carry a tripod (Velbon ultra maxi; about 1kg) to shoot at iso 100, if not I suck it down and shoot at iso800-1600 and hope the vr sucks up the handshake :p

I think the 300 is a better choice *especially* for travel; I was going around oz the month past, and there were several times I could shoot in the rain (D200 + 16-85 or 70-300) whereas my other C buddies with their Ls were all left in the bus lol. I was also prepared to shoot in the rain with waterproof hats, clothing, shoes etc. This is heavy, torrential rain we're talking about, and the only issue I had was the stupid weather being so cold brrr....

(granted my pictures shot in the rain weren't exactly OMG MUST PRINT but still, I captured some memories)

Enjoy your new cam! I'm sooo jealous :)

Reviews reviews....

Here is one from dpreview on D90...

"Picking the images apart to find differences between cameras reveals it's (D90) not quite a half-price D300 but that was a camera we described at the time as being best semi-professional digital SLR on the market, setting the bar pretty high. "

Get the D300, cmos sensor as compared to ccd, better noise control and think the highest usable photo you can get on D90 is at iso 1600, any higher the noise is unbearable. Pardon for my humble opinions.

did u do ur study well before? D90 has similiar sensor quality to d3, it is a cmos sensor. almost same as d300. except d90 uses 1.5 crop factor and D3 using FF.

you shoot iso1600 handheld? this is typically crazy. if u want to shoot good night shoot..use tripod with iso 100, it works well.

did u do ur study well before? D90 has similiar sensor quality to d3, it is a cmos sensor. almost same as d300. except d90 uses 1.5 crop factor and D3 using FF.

you shoot iso1600 handheld? this is typically crazy. if u want to shoot good night shoot..use tripod with iso 100, it works well.

Not that crazy for the D90 also... pretty good ISO performance as what many people can testify! :thumbsup:

Personally I dun listen to Kenrockwell. Too much emotions and too much comment then eat back his words. Look at the time when he had to eat
his words when Nikon came out with not one but 2 FX bodies the D3 and D700. Feel that the review can become too emotionally charged for him.

I look at the science behind the camera and the actual performance only, I have seen the D90 and I currently have the D300, if everyone can wait
for a while more, my uncle is getting the D90, then I will sit down to do a really in depth review of the 2 machine. It's gonna be close, hair-splitting
close. So if you ask me, it's not really practical, it's to the point of nitpicking.

well gotta balance out with what u need and how much are u willing to pay. personally i wud prefer getting the d300. it feels more solid and specs wise better than d90. but i got my hands on a d90 for $1400 (body only) and i've never looked back since. its a step up from my d40x and i'm having so much fun shooting at high iso (usually between 800-1600) which was never possible on my d40x. video function is fun to have but it feels like shooting video on a PnS camera.

my advice, after u buy, dun look back. dun compare prices. start photographing. for me i bring my camera everwhere i go now.

now if only nikon would release a 50d competitor. a nikon FF camera for the price of a d300. now tat wud be interesting. then i can use my old film lens without any crop factor. Muahahah!

Status
Not open for further replies.