D90 refusing to fire

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
I borrowed a Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 to play play with my D90. Wonderful lens, to say the least. But I encountered a strange problem I did not expect. For certain scenes, I compose my shot, press shuttle button half-way, metering info comes out on viewfinder but when I push all the way, it refuse to fire! Any reason why?

I get that on and off on my Tamron 18-270mm... largely because could not get a focus. Usually ok when I go manual. Is this the case with the 24-70?

Your advice is appreciated.

I borrowed a Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 to play play with my D90. Wonderful lens, to say the least. But I encountered a strange problem I did not expect. For certain scenes, I compose my shot, press shuttle button half-way, metering info comes out on viewfinder but when I push all the way, it refuse to fire! Any reason why?

I get that on and off on my Tamron 18-270mm... largely because could not get a focus. Usually ok when I go manual. Is this the case with the 24-70?

is it because the AF is unable to acquire the subject?

I think you gotta call NASA about this issue:think:

Your D90 has a shuttle button?? :p

What are the "certain scenes"? Are you too close to your subject? Your lens has a minimum focusing distance.

min range?

if you are in auto-focus and have not changed the setting for the audible beep, there should be 2 short beeps to confirm that the auto-focus has locked on, allowing you to fire. I suspect it's the focus thingy, coz you did mention "...for certain scenes..."

If you are in AF-C (AF continuous) mode, then it should fire no matter what.

try again in manual focus..should fire no matter wat...
if ok, then try with af again, make sure af confirmed then fire again...

hope it works..

try again in manual focus..should fire no matter wat...
if ok, then try with af again, make sure af confirmed then fire again...

hope it works..

Yes, I figured that out. Just that I still do not know what was the cause of af failure to fire.

What kind of lighting conditions and your distance towards your subject?

If in focus, green dot lights up. If can't focus/dim, green dot blinks. When blinking and in afs, shutter won't release..manual focus mode won't make sure u get focus b4 fire... tt's the situation I guess...

On page: 54 of the D90 user guide (which is on the topic of Focus), it explains the various auto-focusing modes and when will the shutter be released. Hope this helps! :)

1 whole week with only a couple of actual real advise..... moving your thread to Nikon sub-forum where you might be better advised by Nikonians there...

best of luck UncleFai !

NASA? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

there u go ;)

I tried out a d90 last wednesday and I encoutered this issue too, several times in a row. So it will stop, fire one or two frames, and then hang again. I immediately switch to MF but it still refuse to fire. I also turned off and on the camera and it fired a frame, and then hung again.

So it's not a buffer problem or a AF problem. But it just refuses to fire. Very hard to reproduce the problem.

I compose my shot, press shuttle button half-way, metering info comes out on viewfinder but when I push all the way, it refuse to fire! Any reason why?

Check your AF if it is on or off. Remember to check both the body and the lens if it's an AFS lens.

I do that that sometimes is because the lens is unable to focus and still "hunting" for targets.