D90 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

VainKid

Aug 1, 2009
Bedok
Currently where is the best place to grab a d90 at the best price? After checking on the price list I notice john is sellng a twin lens kit but what lens is bundle tgt and price update is in Jan. Any suggestion for me to grab the twin lens bundle or should I just stay with the 18-105? Do I need to buy a extrA 18-55 as a spare lens? I'm totally new and this is my first cam. I'm also looking for a middle range tripod budget 200 possible or should I skip tripod and get a monopod instead? A dry cabin for a budget of 100 possible? What others accesories do I need for a starter? I use my cam only on travelling, special ocassion like wedding cny etc. Sorry if this is being repeated but I tried to browse through those thread out there but they were all out of my budget. Tia

Q1 - Currently where is the best place to grab a d90 at the best price?
A1 - its best to call and ask the shop. Price changes. But from experience, most prob u won't save much from getting the best bargain. Just find roughly how much it is and goto the shop and buy, at least u won't get chop.

Q2 - Any suggestion for me to grab the twin lens bundle or should I just stay with the 18-105?
A2 - do u like to change lens? If no just get the 18-105. Selection of lens is quite personal, not easy for an outsider to advice u, unless u are comparing like 2 prime lenses of the same focal length.

Q3 - Do I need to buy a extrA 18-55 as a spare lens?
A3 - Don't bother. Buy when u need them, since u are on budget.

Q4 - I'm also looking for a middle range tripod budget 200 possible or should I skip tripod and get a monopod instead?
A4 - sometimes the kit u buy will come with a tripod. Use those first. U may realised u don't like to use tripod at all in the end for 99% of the time. No point buying a 200 bucks thing sitting there all the time, since u are on budget.

Q5 - A dry cabin for a budget of 100 possible?
A5 - yes. A small one. Should fit ur gears.

Q6 - What others accesories do I need for a starter?
A6 - prob a nice blower. To blow off dust. Uv filter perhaps. If u are travelling then get a spare battery.

Just to add on,

a monopod is quite useless unless you are using very big and heavy lenses.

Tripod is critical for certain kind of shots. But you need to know if you are going to take that kind of shots.

Thing is, for this hobby, it is crazy to buy everything at one shot. What you need to do is to start from the basic one camera one kit lens, start shooting, and buy additional lens or accessory one by one as you find you need them.

And if you find things are out of your budget, you really need to reconsider the camera you are targeting. Maybe a used D80, D70, or a new D5000/D3000 will suit you better.

Last edited:
Some thing to add on....

Q1 - Currently where is the best place to grab a d90 at the best price?
A1 - its best to call and ask the shop. Price changes. But from experience, most prob u won't save much from getting the best bargain. Just find roughly how much it is and goto the shop and buy, at least u won't get chop.
Yes check First, My 1 week old D90 is bought at funan, SLR revo

Q2 - Any suggestion for me to grab the twin lens bundle or should I just stay with the 18-105?
A2 - do u like to change lens? If no just get the 18-105. Selection of lens is quite personal, not easy for an outsider to advice u, unless u are comparing like 2 prime lenses of the same focal length.
Agree too

Q3 - Do I need to buy a extrA 18-55 as a spare lens?
A3 - Don't bother. Buy when u need them, since u are on budget. Agree this one, I have selected 18-105mm.

Q4 - I'm also looking for a middle range tripod budget 200 possible or should I skip tripod and get a monopod instead?
A4 - sometimes the kit u buy will come with a tripod. Use those first. U may realised u don't like to use tripod at all in the end for 99% of the time. No point buying a 200 bucks thing sitting there all the time, since u are on budget.
Agree again, if you buy such a expensive tripod and become a siting duck, then why buy in the first place. if you really want to get a tripod about that price, go to this shop at penisular shopping centre, I got mine travel tripod there, berno tripod.

Q5 - A dry cabin for a budget of 100 possible?
A5 - yes. A small one. Should fit ur gears.
:nono: save on this as you might getting more stuff when the time goes. $100 can get a small one ask around again. thats is a mass sale in this forum check it out

Q6 - What others accesories do I need for a starter?
A6 - prob a nice blower. To blow off dust. Uv filter perhaps. If u are travelling then get a spare battery.
UV filter is a must to protect ur lens, if you are a night shooter then no need filter. Next a cleaning kits, I assume you will keep it clean and well maintain after the spending of $1XXX for D90.

If you like to know the price I bought you might PM me. ;p;p Recommended shop...Nice:thumbsup:

Just curious why u guys get
those low budget dry cabinet?

Just curious why u guys get
those low budget dry cabinet?
as long as it does it job, i dont need a famous brand nor a fancy humidity display. as long as it works and does not stick out like a sore thumb, i dont need anything more expensive.

digicabi is not some random brand. and you can get a 30-litre one for ~$100 which will fit almost everything. and i havent heard that many of them had problems or has their digicabi broken down.

VainKid said:
Currently where is the best place to grab a d90 at the best price? After checking on the price list I notice john is sellng a twin lens kit but what lens is bundle tgt and price update is in Jan. Any suggestion for me to grab the twin lens bundle or should I just stay with the 18-105? Do I need to buy a extrA 18-55 as a spare lens? I'm totally new and this is my first cam. I'm also looking for a middle range tripod budget 200 possible or should I skip tripod and get a monopod instead? A dry cabin for a budget of 100 possible? What others accesories do I need for a starter? I use my cam only on travelling, special ocassion like wedding cny etc. Sorry if this is being repeated but I tried to browse through those thread out there but they were all out of my budget. Tia

But you never even stated your budget...

Anyway, a lot of the questions you asked can be found in the clubsnap forum.
things like
a) what lens is John 3:16 selling in the twin lens kit
b) mid-range tripod < $200
c) dry cabinet for $100

A lot of your questions are personal choices too.
If I asked you whether I should get a laptop or desktop PC, you'd probably answer that it depends on how I want to use it... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.