D90 colour very dull!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aLLoYcIoUs

Jan 3, 2007
after playing it for few weeks, i notice every shots i take with the camera, the colour of the shots look so dull that is diff from the real thing!

Please help!

Ya I agree, I set my photo to either, alittle more sharp + saturation, or use Vivid settings.

after playing it for few weeks, i notice every shots i take with the camera, the colour of the shots look so dull that is diff from the real thing!

Please help!

Use the vivid settings. You should see the difference.. :)

You have'nt played enough -).Set the colours to vivid then adjust saturation to +1,2,3...

TS, for a start maybe you could show some of the 'dull' photos here and state the setting and lens you are you using. This should help for comments.

I have the feeling, it all about the settings. The lighting, ISO, aperture, camera setting etcs have a tremendous effects on the final output as i have also been playing around to understand dslr more.

For what i have seen on the D90 photos online, the colours and details are great!

Or shoot in RAW, post processing is fun! ... well...that's just me.

Set it to vivid picture control with +2 to +3 saturation

my mummy always say, "cannot swim, dont blame swimming trunks too big..."

i never had such a problem with my D80. maybe you should use my D80, and I use your D90 instead. I am ready to trade anytime! just PM me, I will swing by your house immediately.

the colour is dull, is because the lighting of the environment sux. it has nothing to do with the camera.

for scenery, go at a different time of the day, things should turn better

for portraits, macro, etc use a flash

it should become better, i dun see why a d90 cant produce good pics

Do a search on Kenrockwell

He has some settings as a guideline

I'm also using D90, and pics R vivid!! Eye-popping

Pratice with P&S camera first, and know more about camera function, before you buy something EXP end up didnt know how to use it. . . Afterall, skill and knowledge is the key of taking good shot, not about how good is the camera..! CHEERS ^ ^ pratice more ba. ahahas.

Not only you notice it. I also notice that my D700 colour is very dull on certain subjects and landscape compare to my D200. Same for my friend's Sony A700 and A900 compare with his KM D7D. This problem lies on the sensor used where CCD colour is more vivid compare to CMOS but pics from CMOS is a lot sharper than CCD. Like the rest says, you either need to boost up your saturation more in your camera settings or shoot raw and play with PP.

Check the colourspace settings also.. this plays A BIG difference

Hi I had the same problem as you initially, everything i shot is not sharp and there's always things that i will nitpick on..

I find that most of the pictures, always need some touch up, try to google on levels and curves for photoshop. Works for me

Please help!

Hi . I'am a newbies just to check if you guys set your picture control for your D90 eg. sharpening contrast, brightness, saturation,Hue to your custom setting do you mine shareing what setting normaly you guys used for standard or neutral ect.. Thanks in advance.:)

perhaps cmos sensor is well-known to produce dull colors on factory settings just like some canon cam body like 350d...

Last edited:
i dun really believe that the D90 produce dull images even with the kit lens.

When i first used my D70s the colors were dull and unflattering...and when i look at those award winning photographs taken with D70s...i thot it was bullshit.
after working hard on my technical skills on the camera...i realised...the only thing that was dull and unflattering is me.

From then on I try my best to get the best exposure and compo with every shot i take. So that even the images produced straight out of the camera is presentable.

I'll try to get my hand on a D90 and try it out.

D90 colours arent dull. just need to fine tune your picture control settings and if you want to, you can customise them and save them in your picture controls. heres what i have

I use this for shooting really crazy colours and fine tune if need be
WILD - original picture control setting - Vivid
sharpening - 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
saturation - +3

I use this for portraits and fine tune if need be
PORTRAIT - original picture control setting - Neutral
saturarion +1

I use this for regular street photoraphy and landscapes and fine tune if need be
REGULAR - original picture control setting - Standard
saturation +1

just my two cents worth since im a novice. but this settings have helped me alot to get the right colours in the relative situtations.

any more experienced Nikon users may correct my tunings.

Do a search on Kenrockwell

He has some settings as a guideline

I'm also using D90, and pics R vivid!! Eye-popping

Also, consider using his method of setting the FN button to quickly change between picture controls.

Doing that, I can press FN, my default being at my most used 'standard', then press up/down to another picture control be it 'vivid' or 'neutral' depending on scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.