D90 colour very dull!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I strongly agree with the thread starter.

To the Thread Sarter,
Please hand me your D90, for the benefit of a dull camera i shall scrap it on your behalf. For rates on cam colelction and scrapping pls PM me.

Sincerely,
Lousy DSLR scrapper Liar Liar :cool:

lol... i want too. i top up $200 too haha

my mummy always say, "cannot swim, dont blame swimming trunks too big..."

i never had such a problem with my D80. maybe you should use my D80, and I use your D90 instead. I am ready to trade anytime! just PM me, I will swing by your house immediately.

In real life most of the color is dull.. unless u live in a brand new world with everything is new..:bsmilie:

In real life most of the color is dull.. unless u live in a brand new world with everything is new..:bsmilie:

And if I may add, not very 'SHARP' as well....:bsmilie:

And if I may add, not very 'SHARP' as well....:bsmilie:

maybe i can share a photo done by my friend from jarkata with his new d90 and you be judge. No PP was done to this photo

3124828134_a952d41822.jpg

i skimmed thru this thread, dun think anyone else mentioned this.

check your colour space. should be using sRGB and not Adobe RGB or any other RGB

pls dun boost saturation for human portraits. the effect wun be nice. in fact, bumping up saturation too much in camera will look kinda fake.

vivid shd be good enuff for most (non-portrait) uses

i'm using d300. colour rendition shd be more or less similar

check your colour space. should be using sRGB and not Adobe RGB or any other RGB

pls dun boost saturation for human portraits. the effect wun be nice. in fact, bumping up saturation too much in camera will look kinda fake.

:bsmilie::bsmilie: a mistake i made last time.. gd pt :thumbsup:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/adobe-rgb.htm

i risk coming off as a KRW fanboy, but i like his site for the mix of usable info AND the entertaining read. this article explains it well enuff.

dun think i shd copy and past anything here, so just spend abt 5-10 mins browsing thru. or if u wanna cut to the chase, use sRGB unless u KNOW u shd be using Adobe RGB instead.

if u dun know the diff, stick with sRGB.

i just stick with sRGB cos i don't know what i'm doing.. hahahahahah.. but do make sure the photo editor also in sRGB. but i think it defaults to the camera settings so shd not be an issue.

i believe adobe RGB is for pros who wish to edit/DI a lot. something like a wider spectrum of colours, but appears dull unless u know how to bring it out.

the D300 and D90 colours are quite different.
I also observed the D90's default colours are less vivid then D80's default.

i get this impression:
D80 has lesser dynamic range than D300 (obviously).
D90 has less vibrant colour than D80 (not quite expected).

i get this impression:

i think of nikon DX series. so far i have tried D300, D90, D80, D40, D40x and D50

i must say the D300 and D50 has the best colours. Especially the D50. By far i ahte the D80 the most. lots of hotspots and the colors are just yuck.. oversharpening is an issue too with D80. just my observations.

D300 loaded with D2x profile gives a v nice skintone and its sharp and contrasty. for me D50 gives me the nicest colors. I am sure many peopl who own the D50 will agree..

D90 has nice colors too maybe its under mid day sun so too harsh??

Didn't I say that in #13?? ;)

Didn't I say that in #13?? ;)

yes u did;p

nvm.. i elaborate and share article with more details:bsmilie::)

didn't know d90 and d300 shd have diff colours according to others in this thread. if anything, i thought the d90 would have improvements. nikon doesn't really hold back on improvements on newer models, even if they are lower end. (think d40 vs D70, for e.g)

after playing it for few weeks, i notice every shots i take with the camera, the colour of the shots look so dull that is diff from the real thing!

Please help!
shoot a question and disappear... how do we know if all these answers and solution helpful to TS?

shoot a question and disappear... how do we know if all these answers and solution helpful to TS?

even if its not helping the TS, it will help other CS-ers who are reading this posts.

THere will be less pple askking similar questions.. =)

Use a good lens and shoot RAW.

Oh, also try to get your settings right :bsmilie:

Use a good lens and shoot RAW.

Oh, also try to get your settings right :bsmilie:

without capture NX or a good knowledge of other raw convertors, it's gonna be hard to get the RAW to be as good as the jpg.

what do u mean by good lens?:dunno:

i get this impression:

D90 colours are very close to D3 colours.

I use PT and LS picture controls straight without tweaking. It has a lot to do with getting the right exposure. Set your camera LCD brightness to -2 and make sure your PC monitor is calibrated.

D90 colours are very close to D3 colours.

I use PT and LS picture controls straight without tweaking. It has a lot to do with getting the right exposure. Set your camera LCD brightness to -2 and make sure your PC monitor is calibrated.

Yeh hor, Maybe thread starter using those crappy 19" LCD which were quite popular and cheap acouple of years ago. Good thing i got a better 22incher display on my comp

without capture NX or a good knowledge of other raw convertors, it's gonna be hard to get the RAW to be as good as the jpg.

what do u mean by good lens?:dunno:

It should be NEF. Raw for canon format?
As i said one can still shoot good pics without further editing. Just that should in NEF and process into jpeg.

Probably a better lens refers to anything other than those affordable 18-55, 55-200, 70/75-300?

Status
Not open for further replies.