D810 - OFFICIAL THREAD

A 36mp camera can be very unforgiving and requires good camera handling knowledge to operate. If not, "flaws" will show. That same lacking in knowledge will somehow mislead the uninitiated into believing that the camera is at fault.

I SO AGREE !!!

My D800 is flawless... :)

Reactions: akuma
careful hor... it like that same question why need more then 12 megapixel.. hehe

the one I see online is you can reduce 4k to 1080p and it will be good this kind of reasoning

this advert of BENTLEY Cars is all filmed on iPhone 5S. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyYhM0XIIwU

Looks ok for me . ;)

I read through the comparisons. There is nothing I need in D810. In fact, I use only 10% of the functionality of my D800E - which is my main landscape camera. I set it to ISO 200, Aperture priority, F/4 or F/8, Manual focus, VR Off (on lens), mount on tripod, attach cable release and shoot. I don't even change the focus options!

I bought the D800E for the pixel count, and D810 offers nothing more. To me, the D810 is more like version 8.0 to 8.1.

However, if I do not have a D800/E then this would excite me more.

A 36mp camera can be very unforgiving and requires good camera handling knowledge to operate. If not, "flaws" will show. That same lacking in knowledge will somehow mislead the uninitiated into believing that the camera is at fault.

Precisely....of cos...first few batches did have some focussing issue...but my friends have taught and guided me to handle the 36MP.

Last edited:
If you bother to go google around and read review the flaw of D800/E is easy there for you to pick up.

For example

4 fps not enough for those who need 5fps when doing Bracketing

mirror vibration

no unlimited continuous shooting which limit at 100-frame limit for us who shoot star trail

moire which D810 claim to reduce it but yet to confirm

Poor LCD for Live view which is grainy and not very helpful for manual fine focusing while opening up to maximum aperture helps, but only on lenses that don't exhibit focus shift as a function of aperture

handling issue like mode button and record button is too close which result in you pressing the record button too often
metering mode selector switch which is together with the AE-L/AF-L and AF-ON controls is a bad move.

but all in all if your requirement does not need all these or you can make do with it, like I say D800/E is not much diff from D810.

Taken from a quote from dpreview http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d810/6

"If the D810 is unexciting, it's because it doesn't represent a great leap forward. The D800 and D800E set a high bar for 'wow!' simply because of their (at the time) unmatched pixel count. The D810 is a solid, quiet consolidation of the basic concept and a better product overall than either of the two models that it replaces. Should you sell your D800 or D800E and buy a D810? Probably not. But if you were on the fence about upgrading from a D700 or DX-format Nikon DSLR the D810 is a more appealing camera than its predecessors, and a stronger opponent to Canon's EOS 5D Mark III - especially when it comes to autofocus."

OIC...your info is from google...why not ask a poll here how many users actually encounter 50% of those you listed? :)

1. 4 fps not enough for those who need 5fps when doing Bracketing
I never try 5 frame bracketing yet. Will try to confirm. But so far 3 frame bracketing no issue.

2. mirror vibration
not sure which particular scenario you referring to...but there is a Mirror Up function.

3. no unlimited continuous shooting which limit at 100-frame limit for us who shoot star trail
no leh...120 above also can...i think you are referring to using the menu to shoot time lapse...not sure if D810 solve this...but if u use a remote trigger...no such issue

4. moire which D810 claim to reduce it but yet to confirm
this one subjective....D800e supposed to encounter more..but there are certain scenario to encounter this..maybe i heng...i no kenna those scenario...this one i cannot confirm.

5. Poor LCD for Live view which is grainy and not very helpful for manual fine focusing while opening up to maximum aperture helps, but only on lenses that don't exhibit focus shift as a function of aperture
Poor LCD yes...but is it a flaw? more of lower resolution compared to 5DM3 LCD...

6. handling issue like mode button and record button is too close which result in you pressing the record button too often
metering mode selector switch which is together with the AE-L/AF-L and AF-ON controls is a bad move.

Not sure why that is a bad move...never used other DSLR before...but u won't accidentally turn it though...one is press..one is turn..

anyway...i am not a Nikon or Canon fanboi....i just feel those issues i face are not flaws..but more of specs different...eg...low fps...i cannot afford D4/s....so cannot say is flaw...more of budget constraint.
the first batch AF was really a flaw

OIC...your info is from google...why not ask a poll here how many users actually encounter 50% of those you listed? :)

1. 4 fps not enough for those who need 5fps when doing Bracketing
I never try 5 frame bracketing yet. Will try to confirm. But so far 3 frame bracketing no issue.

2. mirror vibration
not sure which particular scenario you referring to...but there is a Mirror Up function.

3. no unlimited continuous shooting which limit at 100-frame limit for us who shoot star trail
no leh...120 above also can...i think you are referring to using the menu to shoot time lapse...not sure if D810 solve this...but if u use a remote trigger...no such issue

4. moire which D810 claim to reduce it but yet to confirm
this one subjective....D800e supposed to encounter more..but there are certain scenario to encounter this..maybe i heng...i no kenna those scenario...this one i cannot confirm.

5. Poor LCD for Live view which is grainy and not very helpful for manual fine focusing while opening up to maximum aperture helps, but only on lenses that don't exhibit focus shift as a function of aperture
Poor LCD yes...but is it a flaw? more of lower resolution compared to 5DM3 LCD...

6. handling issue like mode button and record button is too close which result in you pressing the record button too often

Not sure why that is a bad move...never used other DSLR before...but u won't accidentally turn it though...one is press..one is turn..

anyway...i am not a Nikon or Canon fanboi....i just feel those issues i face are not flaws..but more of specs different...eg...low fps...i cannot afford D4/s....so cannot say is flaw...more of budget constraint.
the first batch AF was really a flaw

AGREE ALSO.... No camera will suit all people... like a good running shoe, get what fits your foot, style of stride, type of run and budget in wallet... who cares if the laces are not white. ;) ;)

As per Thom Hogan site :

" All in all, there are a lot of changes to the D810. This wasn’t a quick-and-dirty update: the camera is subtly better than its predecessor in many, many ways, and quite a few of those address photographer complaints. I wish I could write that about every Nikon update. "

Read more here :

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/d810-announcement-followup.html

Why need 4K ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuqpLOiFCfo

This movie Act of Valor was partially if not mostly filmed on 5DMk3's... looks fine to me.

well I personally can't find a good enough reason why any pro video users on a DSLR type system would want to jump ship to Nikon when every other brand out there has a better deal on the table, features and price-wise.

I love Nikon for the awesome lenses they make, but for video the D810 is at least 2 years late. I just hope for that price they fixed the moire and aliasing issues that plagued the D800.

well I personally can't find a good enough reason why any pro video users on a DSLR type system would want to jump ship to Nikon when every other brand out there has a better deal on the table, features and price-wise.

I love Nikon for the awesome lenses they make, but for video the D810 is at least 2 years late. I just hope for that price they fixed the moire and aliasing issues that plagued the D800.

Its a DSLR not a video camera..... ;)

i read so the sraw is only 9mp?
so is only 36 and 9mp?

if so why cant have 12 , 24 , 36
i think 5d2 have right?

Its a DSLR not a video camera..... ;)

it's clear Nikon are looking to finally make their entry into the pro video market. even it's press release seems to hint at that. they are even releasing ready-made video/filmmaker kits with the camera.

"The Power to Create the Compelling: The Nikon D810 is the HD-SLR that Delivers Unmatched Image Quality and a Truly Cinematic Experience"

when it's out for rent I will certainly take it on a spin.

In fact, I use only 10% of the functionality of my D800E - which is my main landscape camera. I set it to ISO 200, Aperture priority, F/4 or F/8, Manual focus, VR Off (on lens), mount on tripod, attach cable release and shoot. I don't even change the focus option.

That's 100% of the functionality. Rests are frills.

huummm ... wonder if its time to upgrade my 4 yr companion, d300s ...;p

WOW! ... can see many 800/e and DF users selling theirs in marketplace

Last edited:
Optical (tunnel) viewfinder vs pentaprism, is that good?

Yeah , I want to know too. D810 specs says optical (tunnel) VF.

Yeah , I want to know too. D810 specs says optical (tunnel) VF.

All I can see in their info is this :

A brighter viewfinder offers ~100% frame coverage, 0.7x magnification and high contrast organic EL information display for easier visibility. The scratch- and shock-resistant TFT LCD display has wide viewing angles and enhanced visibility in sunlight. Its color can be calibrated to match an external monitor, and a new split-screen feature lets you monitor two different points of a scene side-by-side to ensure proper leveling or focus.

is it wise to buy this camera as my first ever dslr and use it for minimum 5 years? amateur photographer buying pro dslr to become pro photographer. can or not? the man is as good as the camera.. lolz

is it wise to buy this camera as my first ever dslr and use it for minimum 5 years? amateur photographer buying pro dslr to become pro photographer. can or not? the man is as good as the camera.. lolz

No right no wrong bro, all up to you and your pocket :)
i'm lurking at this but pocket wld hurt deep deep..as long as it's put to good use and you enjoy the process, pro or not pro is secondary unless you are using it to make a living...