D800E User Thread

Any D800 / D800e user who do macro?

Thinking of replacing my D300s for my macro shooting. But cannot decide between D800 or D600. Thus appreciate if any "macro shooter" here can provide me with some advise. Maybe some macro photo too. Tks!

I am using D800E for my macro shoots -
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/macr...me-recent-macro-lower-pierce.html#post8524613
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/macr...recent-macro-@endau-rompin-national-park.html

Nice detailed macro. Can I ask if you have any moire issue with the D800E? And may I know what is the deciding factors for you to choose D800e over D800? Thanks in advance.

Nice detailed macro. Can I ask if you have any moire issue with the D800E? And may I know what is the deciding factors for you to choose D800e over D800? Thanks in advance.

no moire issue with. Prices of D800E (approx: $4k ) is $300-400 diff.

Beautiful pictures :)
Is D800e very difficult to use for street photography or outdoor family portraits regarding tendency to blur resulting from camera shake?
Can anyone kindly share their experiences from a new user to experienced user?

Last edited:
I don't think you will get any conclusive answer to your question. There are different ways to counter camera shake (e.g. Lens with stabiliser, increase shutter speed, etc) and the same techniques apply to the D800E as well as other cameras. I spent more time learning to use my M9P than the D800E, and to me, it is similar to any DSLR such as my previous 5DIII, which is slightly more straight forward in terms of interface.

Perhaps you can rent a set or test it at the Nikon Service Centre (they probably only have a D800 to test, which is not very different). They have display set for customer to test until happy. Bring your CF or SD card if you wish to go home to compare the shots.

Is D800e very difficult to use for street photography or outdoor family portraits regarding tendency to blur resulting from camera shake?

I went through the growing pains with my D800 for street/family photos. Initially wanted tack sharp when pixel peeping so I set the camera shutter speed min. to 2X focal length, and slow down the photo taking process. After a year, above is overkill, so now it is set to 1/FL, for better ISO. Am still learning and adjusting to my D800. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
There is no need for concern with the D800/D800E over camera shake. I have been using the D800 since April 2012 and used it for Birding, Football, pre wedding, Actual day wedding shoots and have not be affected by it.

Camera shake is usually more user than the body and it can easily be taken care off.

1) Shoot at shutter speeds great than reciprocal of focal length
2) Know how fast your subjects are moving through estimation or experience and unless you are panning, shoot at higher shutter speeds. 1/125 sec can be a start.
3) Hand hold techniques are important. Tuck your elbows close to your chest and the body towards your eye. Especially important when shooting at telephoto lengths and beyond.
4) If you are using a long focal length and the lens have VR, you can let the VR settle in before triggering. If not, simply off the VR and shoot at higher shutter speeds.

Lovely!!!
The open shutters add content above other pix we normally see of this scene....

Is this multi row w a 14-24? Or something tighter like 24-70@24mm ?

Thank you! Yeah, the shutters were open for some reason that day. This was a multi-row pano with my 17-35mm at 17mm. :)

Should be posting in the right sub forum....