D800 ---- Not Recommended by Thom

I am in regular contact with Thom and generally agree with most of his observations. His remark about the internet amplifying the "Issues" and also the fact that many people are now "Noticing" things that have always existed in every camera ever is very true. This is a separate subject to the actual issue itself. While it is absolutely true that some D800s are suffering from the alignment issue, the amplification that the internet is giving it makes it seem like a far more widespread problem than it actually is.

It's sad that a lot of people read Thom's reporting of the issue, but not his additional observations about it.

I am in regular contact with Thom and generally agree with most of his observations. His remark about the internet amplifying the "Issues" and also the fact that many people are now "Noticing" things that have always existed in every camera ever is very true. This is a separate subject to the actual issue itself. While it is absolutely true that some D800s are suffering from the alignment issue, the amplification that the internet is giving it makes it seem like a far more widespread problem than it actually is.

It's sad that a lot of people read Thom's reporting of the issue, but not his additional observations about it.

some people bought the D800 and think they found god, can they not feel special .... :D

My AFS 24 mm f1.4g. I did the fine tune for centre and extreme right autofocus point, and they are now ok for both live view and TTL, but not the extreme left autofocus point.

Sorry to know that you have left oof issue, at least NSC Sg has the fix to this. Submit your shots to NSC to illustrate the issue - it helps. Based on my understanding of what the technician describe, it is some sort of calibration software that runs thru' the 51 points and rewrites the focusing "baseline" parameters to some table in the ROM. Firmware remains the same version when you get back the camera. I had a funny issue when I got back my camera - it hangs on image review if you do it often or scroll thru' them... What I did was to re-flash the current firmware (incl the lens distortion one...) and the problem is gone. It is working like a charm now and behaving to my expectations. FYI.

this model looks like still in beta testing .... some will be good, some will be bad, same goes for the new lens, luck plays a part .... :D

I don't think any major global brand likes what is happening to their products. I don't think the intent is to beta test using the world as an example. Giving them the benefit of the doubt that the tsunami has damaged some of their key testing/calibration equipment (probably calibrated / fine tuned over the years of manufacturing). Now they have to re-build under pressure to supply in order to meet demand...something fell thru the cracks... I am sure they are fixing it.

My view of what is not cool is no admission to the problem. Clearly there's one and it can be rectifed. Also, it seems like only certain NSC has the fix but some has none and this is a global(?) problem. Perhaps, Nikon view it as an "isolated" case and treating it on a case-by-case basis. Since NSC Sg has the fix - that's good and a breath of relief.

I am old school and normally focus and compose, so it does not affect me

I think you need to test it and you will know. It definitely will not affect your style of shooting but it is about Nikon denying the problem.

I think you need to test it and you will know. It definitely will not affect your style of shooting but it is about Nikon denying the problem.

Don't play play Ortega Brother have D4 & D800 and most of the AF-S Lenses you can afford one he have too... :bsmilie:
even the AF-S 85mm f/1.8G & f/1.4G he got the both... i have no comments.

Later he just show you how was the AF-S 800mm f5.6G works like haha

i'll only stay a side for watching...

Last edited:
Time to get a 5D Mk 3 and a few lenses till this gets sorted out, if ever.

Mansurovs.com has a good writeup on the problem and fix.

I don't think any major global brand likes what is happening to their products. I don't think the intent is to beta test using the world as an example. Giving them the benefit of the doubt that the tsunami has damaged some of their key testing/calibration equipment (probably calibrated / fine tuned over the years of manufacturing). Now they have to re-build under pressure to supply in order to meet demand...something fell thru the cracks... I am sure they are fixing it.

My view of what is not cool is no admission to the problem. Clearly there's one and it can be rectifed. Also, it seems like only certain NSC has the fix but some has none and this is a global(?) problem. Perhaps, Nikon view it as an "isolated" case and treating it on a case-by-case basis. Since NSC Sg has the fix - that's good and a breath of relief.

Depends, the Nikon company now is different from years ago when it was dealing in film, now they sell you new lens that go with newer models, that is where the money is .... but one thing that is certain is if they come up with a new model than D800, lens will need to be upgrades, it is the company's bottom line that counts, good for everybody ....

When ever a new product is launched, it may have some teething problems but if those problems are handled professionally and all those people who have spent money, or they depend on the product professionally are kept in the loop, then every thing is fine.

What bugs is the attitude of Nikon.

They should have been more cosiderate for their customer base.

When ever a new product is launched, it may have some teething problems but if those problems are handled professionally and all those people who have spent money, or they depend on the product professionally are kept in the loop, then every thing is fine.

What bugs is the attitude of Nikon.

They should have been more cosiderate for their customer base.

:thumbsup: Well said.

mod101 said:
Sorry to know that you have left oof issue, at least NSC Sg has the fix to this. Submit your shots to NSC to illustrate the issue - it helps. Based on my understanding of what the technician describe, it is some sort of calibration software that runs thru' the 51 points and rewrites the focusing "baseline" parameters to some table in the ROM. Firmware remains the same version when you get back the camera. I had a funny issue when I got back my camera - it hangs on image review if you do it often or scroll thru' them... What I did was to re-flash the current firmware (incl the lens distortion one...) and the problem is gone. It is working like a charm now and behaving to my expectations. FYI.

Thanks. How long did your camera stay at NSC to get this sorted?

Don't play play Ortega Brother have D4 & D800 and most of the AF-S Lenses you can afford one he have too... :bsmilie:
even the AF-S 85mm f/1.8G & f/1.4G he got the both... i have no comments.

Later he just show you how was the AF-S 800mm f5.6G works like haha

i'll only stay a side for watching...

lol... i think you over estimate me lah
i don't even own a 50mm f1.8G

Tested again on real life targets last night with the 50 1.8G. No issues. Will try sometime over the next week with a focus chart (Although this bears no relevance to my real world shooting habits).

All in all, I find the AF to be almost telepathic in nature. It feels much snappier than the 300s and the 700. Haven't really tested 3D tracking yet, but I'm assuming it'll impress me too.

Worried free works great with my AFS 50mm f1.8G

DSC_1695.jpg

AF in low light no hunting also.

Hockie said:
Thanks. How long did your camera stay at NSC to get this sorted?

When I sent in, officially NSC said 2weeks. In actual fact, got it back in 3 days after I received a call from NSC.