D800/E or D600

wow... i hope those sellers know what they are going to get when they get the D600... It is not suitable for everyone for all kinds of photography.

Life was much easier when you only had D70, D100, D2H, D2X. Now...

Life was much easier when you only had D70, D100, D2H, D2X. Now...

well... it is a good thing no? good for consumers mah... just that consumers need to understand what they need before jumping.

well... it is a good thing no? good for consumers mah... just that consumers need to understand what they need before jumping.

Last time only need to think entry, mid or pro.

Now is...

More choices, more confusion! Haha! Gotta catch 'em all!

Seriously, having more choices is probably a good thing for consumers - each product is, presumably, better crafted to cater to the specific market segment.

wow... i hope those sellers know what they are going to get when they get the D600... It is not suitable for everyone for all kinds of photography.

I thought the D600 is meant for general photography where as the D800 is targeted more for studio, landscape & macro ? :dunno:

I thought the D600 is meant for general photography where as the D800 is targeted more for studio, landscape & macro ? :dunno:

Probably you mean marketed. ;) Don't take that marketing bs too serious.

Jeremy1 said:

From your point, meant to be apply for all.

Yes any DSLR camera to be doing the same job, just only, you cannot enjoy the same specs.

Last edited:

In the end, not everyone can afford a D800 or D800E or a D4...

All I am saying is: before anyone jump, better research well on what the camera can and cannot do...

daredevil123 said:
In the end, not everyone can afford a D800 or D800E or a D4...

Not lah... From this few months only

Cause got more choice and dunno wanna decide which one

Not lah... From this few months only

Cause got more choice and dunno wanna decide which one

Well that I’ve been wait as i was looking for an FX after my last D90 and actually i was already going to get the D800 last week when the date of announcement of D600 was rumoured to be in September.

In terms of price since i was already prepared to pay for the D800 but since the D600 just announced and it’s suppose to reach the market within few weeks it's not a big deal to wait. As its cheaper than the D800 plus I’m sure it will do well for my purpose but since I’m not planning to change camera in the next few yrs after i got it might as well get the D800/E if it give me a really significant advantage over the D600.

True i would be doing mountain climbing and will be using in below zero temperature on some of my trip. I don’t want to be the same situation like my D90 when i went to Mount KK where it was winter and raining at which the temperature drop quite a lot thus reaching the camp site my camera could only fire 1 shot before showing total drain or error. So i had to warm my battery to take another shot.

I don’t want to go for D4 as the body it’s too big for my liking.

So that’s why I’m only considering D800/E or D600

Tons of information out there to help consumers decide also la... but key is, consumers need to research before buying loh.

For example...
Strobist: Nikon D600: Think Twice Before You Jump

KRW says D50 gives 1/500 sync.. now even high end like EOS 1D (and i believe the same for others) can't reach 1/500... is it really more expensive to have 1/500 syn?

and now d600 only goes up to 1/200... somehow i suspect they just lower it so it won't compete with d800.. the cost may not be the factor..

what do you think? (sorry for this millionaire question, ehem)

KRW says D50 gives 1/500 sync.. now even high end like EOS 1D (and i believe the same for others) can't reach 1/500... is it really more expensive to have 1/500 syn?

and now d600 only goes up to 1/200... somehow i suspect they just lower it so it won't compete with d800.. the cost may not be the factor..

D1, D1X, D1H, D50, D70 and D40 all can do 1/500.. it was because they have a electronic shutter built into the CCD sensors. Mechanically, curtain shutters are not able to reach that speed...

I suspect D600 is using a shutter developed from the D7000 (cheaper), and since the sensor is larger, the shutter have more real estate to cover, so the sync drop down to 1/200.

Bro I know you shoot a lot of strobing stuff, you might want to reconsider the D600.

Last edited:

Well you have a point, and also its clear that D600 was created to make people of D90,D7000,D300s to move to FX so not to make D800/E suffer from the release of such camera it needs to be lower in spec's in many ways to leave room for D800 market grow as well as give juice for DX user to jump to FX user that can't afford a costly camera as D800/E upwards