D7000 user...fall in!!! Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
the price should've gone up... according to the reputable US online stores the price had went up to abt $1289 after the rebates were over. it has falllen back to the US RRP though... around $1199. there were some comments on the shortage of D7000s due to Thailand's situation

SAMUELS said:
the price should've gone up... according to the reputable US online stores the price had went up to abt $1289 after the rebates were over. it has falllen back to the US RRP though... around $1199. there were some comments on the shortage of D7000s due to Thailand's situation

So. It's made in Thailand?

SAMUELS said:
All of them are.

Thanks.
Hope this Thailand situation gets better.
It's always the politicians that are stalling development in a country.
Best example is the US. They've forgotten the responsibility of being a leader of a country. And all of them got lost in their narcissistic ideals and selfishness.

Just got mine from Malaysia Mee Too last sat at RM$3080 (body).
Upgraded 8G sd card to class 10 by topping up RM$30. Free bag.
advertisement said orginal RM$3198(body), RM$3998(kit).
Last 2 sets left.
cash & carry :)

Hahaha. From JB ? Miyamondo ? :p

Hi all, anyone is using 3rd party battery? Any recommendation? And what is the price range like? Thks in advance...
Welcome to the world of 3rd party batteries, there are as many brands as the standard AA ones. One very good OEM brand is the Pisen. Said to be as good as the Nikon ones but I cannot find any reviews so far.

Hi everyone...

Just got myself a D7000 recently, and am new to this thread.
I have a few questions after experimenting with it a little.
Tried to check back on previous postings, but there are too many to go through.
So if I am asking again, pardon me.

1) Video function. Anybody using this regularly? How do you focus during recording, and when zooming in and out?
2) Depth of Field preview. I find it quite redundant because it doesn't make it difference when viewed through the viewfinder. Is it true?
3) Focus point wrap around. Still cannot understand after reading dozens of explanations online. In Singlish, anyone?

Thanks! I expect to have more questions coming up...

daniellcs said:
Hi everyone...

1) Video function. Anybody using this regularly? How do you focus during recording, and when zooming in and out?
2) Depth of Field preview. I find it quite redundant because it doesn't make it difference when viewed through the viewfinder. Is it true?
3) Focus point wrap around. Still cannot understand after reading dozens of explanations online. In Singlish, anyone?

1) I don't use it as I have a video cam for videos, also, long term use of the video function overheats the sensor, not good for your camera.

2) it is useful as it stops down your aperture to the one you set. You can see how much is in focus at your setting.

3) focus point wrap around means in single focal point mode, when your focus point is on the extreme right, you just press right to shift the point the extreme left and vice versa, like the point travels in a circle.

Hi everyone...

I tend to focus manually, but if you are referring to AF during video, just half press the shutter button as usual, just like how you would focus for a photo.

Depth of field preview kinda as a compliment or substitute for hyperfocal distancing, you set the aperture and check if the object at a distance is in focus.
I abuse it to shoot right into the sun for flare shots, using the DOF preview I can limit the light coming in by many stops to protect the sensor and more importantly, my eyes.
there are many uses.

As for wrap around, when you intend to use a single AF point and move your dialpad to a select one, after half-pressing you'll see the surrounding AF points flash and disappear swifty in an attempt to evaluate the focus around the single spot you chose. I might be wrong at this, if someone knows feel free to correct me.

What does the DOF preview actually do? I can't figure out after reading the manual several times and experimenting w/ my D7k.

gaidinX said:
What does the DOF preview actually do? I can't figure out after reading the manual several times and experimenting w/ my D7k.

It stops down the aperture to the one you set to so that you can preview what is in focus and what is not

gaidinX said:

Just set to f22 or higher and hit the button. You'll be able to notice the difference in the viewfinder then. Or do you not know how Aperture works?

spree86 said:
1) I don't use it as I have a video cam for videos, also, long term use of the video function overheats the sensor, not good for your camera.

Does it really overheat the sensor and not good for camera?

Cos I've seen many using the 5D Mark II to shoot videos, especially weddings and other events.

Does it really overheat the sensor and not good for camera?

Cos I've seen many using the 5D Mark II to shoot videos, especially weddings and other events.

It doesn't "overheat". Although it might show signs of heat such as hot pixels, its under control and limited by the camera's operating specifications.
That's why there's a limit of approx. 20mins of continuous video recording on a D7000.
Just like a hot computer, the fan speed algorithms kick in smartly to manage the heat.

3) focus point wrap around means in single focal point mode, when your focus point is on the extreme right, you just press right to shift the point the extreme left and vice versa, like the point travels in a circle.

@Spree & Samuels: Thanks for attempting to explain, but still blur. So in what kind of situations would you expect to use this function?

daniellcs said:
@Spree & Samuels: Thanks for attempting to explain, but still blur. So in what kind of situations would you expect to use this function?

Just imagine you're at the far east of Singapore. If you take a boat there and keep sailing straight (suppose you don't run into any islands), you'll eventually make 1 round around the globe and end up at the far west of Singapore. Similarly, if you go beyond the right side of the focal system, you'll end up on the left.

It's used in instances when you have to switch your autofocus point from one end of the focal system to the other. There were times when I spammed the hell out of that dial so that my focus point can reach my subject in time

Just imagine you're at the far east of Singapore. If you take a boat there and keep sailing straight (suppose you don't run into any islands), you'll eventually make 1 round around the globe and end up at the far west of Singapore. Similarly, if you go beyond the right side of the focal system, you'll end up on the left.

It's used in instances when you have to switch your autofocus point from one end of the focal system to the other. There were times when I spammed the hell out of that dial so that my focus point can reach my subject in time

not sure if it will help you, my little trick is to press the OK button, and then the focus point flies right smack into the centre, and from there i move to where i need it to be.

Ok ok, I think I finally get it.
It's like when you are in single focus mode and the subject is on the right hand side of the focal system. Suddenly, the subject moves to the left side of the focal system, you'd just have to press the dial to the right (hence around the globe) and end up on the left side of the focal system. You press the dial like 1 time to the right instead of say 10 times to the left. Correct?

daniellcs said:
Ok ok, I think I finally get it.
It's like when you are in single focus mode and the subject is on the right hand side of the focal system. Suddenly, the subject moves to the left side of the focal system, you'd just have to press the dial to the right (hence around the globe) and end up on the left side of the focal system. You press the dial like 1 time to the right instead of say 10 times to the left. Correct?

Yeah ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.