D7000 Discussion Thread III

I am quite impressed by the AF capability of D7000. This was shot using the 3D tracking. Pardon my bad exposure.

Extreme Swing - Cheese by Sg Brown Bear, on Flickr

No hot pixel for the 10 seconds exposure. Maybe I didn't push it hard enough.

Marina Bay View by Sg Brown Bear, on Flickr

Great photo..:thumbsup: What lens are you using? Care to share..;)

Just saw review on Pentax K-5 and D7000 on DPreview.com. Pentax K-5 scores 83% with gold award while D7000 only scores 80% with silver award.
Hmmm......:think:

Very nice reviews for both cameras, I think the scores is not the full story, I always felt that the camera body is just half the story (or maybe less than half) and it is the camera system (i.e. lenses, accessories and 3rd party after market) that help make the photography experience great. If reviews are done as a system, the scores will be a lot different, again then it will always be either a N or a C not very interesting and entertaining. :bsmilie:

Many older folks here may have owned Pentax film slr before but fast forward to today I think Pentax system is far from what Nikon and Canon can offers.

Anyway, one can argue that K-5 is a semi-pro but D7000 is for serious amateur, but lot of pro are using D7000 now as a second body, so what is important is the core features of the camera and for that I don't think D7000 is a lesser camera than K-5. Forget what the manufacturers would like to position their cameras I think both are the same, atleast to most of us, at this end.

Last edited:
Great photo..:thumbsup: What lens are you using? Care to share..;)

Great camera. The first picture is with nikon 70-200 vr2, while the second one is with nikon 16mm fish eye.

have been playing with my D7000 for almost a month now... I notice that the D7k is an "emotional" machine... very much like girls (sorry not being sexist) but this machine love to focus during daytime... on the other hand, during night time or indoor with little light, my this other girlfriend's mind will be somewhere else... slow to focus at times... press shutter but nothing happens...:embrass:

another thing I notice is when I put it in "AUTO" mode, the flash will pop up by itself sometimes (esp when the lens closed with cap).... is it the shutter button is toooooooo sensitive? or is it faulty? Sometimes it is normal, sometimes it keeps popping up... :think:

have been playing with my D7000 for almost a month now... I notice that the D7k is an "emotional" machine... very much like girls (sorry not being sexist) but this machine love to focus during daytime... on the other hand, during night time or indoor with little light, my this other girlfriend's mind will be somewhere else... slow to focus at times... press shutter but nothing happens...:embrass:

another thing I notice is when I put it in "AUTO" mode, the flash will pop up by itself sometimes (esp when the lens closed with cap).... is it the shutter button is toooooooo sensitive? or is it faulty? Sometimes it is normal, sometimes it keeps popping up... :think:

auto mode, flash will auto pop up in low light situation, unless u disable it.

Well you must know how to coax & handle, not fondle it. Done well, it (or she) will be responsive & lovely dovey & you can shoot else it's STOP :) In no/low light situations, normal, even our eyes have problem focussing fast sometimes at night. Just make sure the focussing point/s are directed on appropriate subjects that facilitate focus. See something like "autofocus does not perform well under the conditions listed.." or such in the manual.

If the shutter button is not pressed, flash should not pop up by itself else need to call up CSI or exorcist, or NSC :) Could be you accidently brushed the camera against something or someone like whilst you were eyeing some SYTs :)

Last edited:
Well you must know how to coax & handle, not fondle it. Done well, it (or she) will be responsive & lovely dovey & you can shoot else it's STOP :) In no/low light situations, normal, even our eyes have problem focussing fast sometimes at night. Just make sure the focussing point/s are directed on appropriate subjects that facilitate focus. See something like "autofocus does not perform well under the conditions listed.." or such in the manual.

If the shutter button is not pressed, flash should not pop up by itself else need to call up CSI or exorcist, or NSC :) Could be you accidently brushed the camera against something or someone like whilst you were eyeing some SYTs :)

NAME YOUR CAMERA!~

1st step of loving your camera... Cindy! Mary! Anything!!! >_<:sweatsm:

I think at night you missed the foreplay that's why she not responding ... ;)

auto mode, flash will auto pop up in low light situation, unless u disable it.
Yes, in auto mode flash should pop up when shutter is pressed. By for my case, once the camera is on with lens covered, the flash just pop up (with pressing the shutter)!!!

Well you must know how to coax & handle, not fondle it. Done well, it (or she) will be responsive & lovely dovey & you can shoot else it's STOP In no/low light situations, normal, even our eyes have problem focussing fast sometimes at night. Just make sure the focussing point/s are directed on appropriate subjects that facilitate focus. See something like "autofocus does not perform well under the conditions listed.." or such in the manual.

If the shutter button is not pressed, flash should not pop up by itself else need to call up CSI or exorcist, or NSC Could be you accidently brushed the camera against something or someone like whilst you were eyeing some SYTs :)
Yes you're right.... in low light AF not very responsive...
As for the flash, it just pop up!!! Today also not the seventh month????

NAME YOUR CAMERA!~

1st step of loving your camera... Cindy! Mary! Anything!!! >_<:sweatsm:
I love my camera and I almost paint it pink!!! :lovegrin:

I think at night you missed the foreplay that's why she not responding ... ;)
Maybe I should squeeze the buttons harder next time :sweatsm:

Last edited:
I've to agree with some of the posters here, I can't fix my Nikon lenses on a Pentax camera.

Cheers.

any users out there using the tammy 17-50 and the tokina 11-16 with the d7000? are there any AF problems when it comes to taking still photos?

any users out there using the tammy 17-50 and the tokina 11-16 with the d7000? are there any AF problems when it comes to taking still photos?

Let me share with you my experience with sigma 24mm f2.8.

The first time I mount the lens on, all AF works well, and pretty happy, but after a few on and off, the AF don't work anymore, I try changing the AF mode but still don't work.
I remove the lens, and mount it back, and it works again. This happens a few times after 2 days of using this camera.

I have no problem with nikon 50mm f1.8.

Took some pictures with my kids just now... used the "AUTO" mode, put on the lens cap and wanted to move to another place for some other shots... "POP"!!! The flash pop up by itself again... now it happens ALL the time when it is in AUTO mode and lens cap is on. I tested it when back home... shake it, nothing happen, lift it up and put it on my bed, pop up! Cannot tahan already... will bring it to NSC after christmas or new year to see if there is something wrong....;(

I didn't know D7K got a do not pop up flash while cap is on mode. Suggest you switch off your camera. If it pops up, then to NSC it goes. Try shooting in P/A/S instead of full auto. Its less troublesome.

It's meaningless even if it hits 7000 posts with junk posts. :)

We better discuss more on its performance and how to fully utilize the body.

I havent gotten any reply for my previous question.

"just wonder if u guys choose RAW or RAW+JPG when u take the pictures. I tried RAW+JPG but the JPG pictures shown on ViewNX2 look slightly different compared to the RAW (NEF) format picture. JPG pictures tend to be slightly darker.

I tried using ViewNX2 to convert from NEF to JPG with highest quality and it is still the same, just the filesize larger than the D7K converted JPG.

Any expert can teach me or enlighten me on this?"

Anyone?
Every NEF file has an embedded JPEG. This is what most photo conversion software sees. So if you are going to use NX to convert your RAW, why do you need RAW+JPEG? The only use I can see as someone mentioned is to pass on the images quickly to someone without using a RAW converter.

Anyone know how much the spare batt cost?