D70 shutter problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDer

Feb 17, 2002
Digital Age
www.pbase.com
sigh...my D70 had the shutter problem (showed 'Err' on the LCD when shutter is pressed) and sent it to Nikon Service Centre today.
but bad news...was told that they have run out of stock for the shuuter mechanism. means that i will have to wait for a while before i will get back my camera...:cry:
worst is that i will be going to Vietnam next week for holiday and i dun know if they can repair by then...:cry: :cry:

i had mixed feelings and tons of questions and feedbacks right now...

1) how's Nikon QC?

2) why cant Nikon T-loan us a working set while our camera is repairing..i think it will be a good idea, isn't it? in the first place, it's their fault for producing faulty equipments right? we are paying thousand of dollars just to get our cameras into the service centre?

3) Nikon should extend our warranty by the numbers of days that the camera has 'stayed' in the service centre. for example, if the camera takes 2 weeks (14 days) to get fixed, then the warranty should be extended to 14 days after 1 year from the date of purchase.

4) Nikon should stock up on their spares. didn't they know that this 'Err' is a common fault? and they did sell a lot of D70 right? and quote themselves as S'pores No. 1 DSLR camera. so shouldn't they stock up MORE spares for D70?

5) Nikon should reduce their equipment servicing time. they are known as professionals in cameras so should their servicing time. the lady told me it will take about 10-14 days to repair my fault. 8hrs x 10 = 80hrs. professionals?

now all i can do is Hope and Pray...

1) QC is done at the factory not at the service centre

2) Sh!t happens, even the strictest production will still results in errors (Murphy's law), so how can claim their fault?

3) So you're hoping for your camera to be faulty always lah. FOC warranty? There's 3mths warranty on the parts repaired.

4) Who's going to pay for the warehouse storage? All items have life expectancy, even supermarkets won't stock on items they haven't finish selling until the last few! How do you know Err is common fault, define common fault. They didn't quote themselves as No 1 DSLR, check your facts.

5) So you prefer 8 x 10 for your repair or 1 x 4? Which one? If too fast you complain anyhow do, if too slow, you complain too long. Make up your minds, please.

second espn. Sometimes, we cannot complain anyone, just let it be will make you feel better.

espn said:
3) So you're hoping for your camera to be faulty always lah. FOC warranty? There's 3mths warranty on the parts repaired.
It's common in Europe, that the time your faulty equipment under warranty is at the service centre, will extend the warranty time.

If the equipment is already outside warranty, then the warranty for serviced parts will apply. Not sure how long - maybe 3 months, might depend on a country.

So it's not an outrageous thing to expect this. Actually it's an incentive for the vendor to service products timely, rather than delay.

espn said:
4) Who's going to pay for the warehouse storage? All items have life expectancy, even supermarkets won't stock on items they haven't finish selling until the last few!
There are supermarkets with good logistics that can arrange for timely re-supply of their stocks. And there are supermarkets with bad logistics that have empty shelves for long time after an item is sold out. Guess which supermarket is better?

This is clearly a question of quality of service. Nikon is a famous global brand claiming professionalism and quality for which they charge their customers dearly. It's only natural that in return their customers will expect professional and quality service.

Aiyah, no one or rather no organisation perfect mah..
once in a while your camera die young doesnt mean that nikon all not good wat.
:nono:
den wat about people? some die young too?? soo god's QC not good meh?
;p

Once again, another case of Nikon's poor QC. There are just too many to ignore. :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

Bromba said:
It's common in Europe, that the time your faulty equipment under warranty is at the service centre, will extend the warranty time.
I read you right, you said "common in Europe". This is Singapore.

Bromba said:
If the equipment is already outside warranty, then the warranty for serviced parts will apply. Not sure how long - maybe 3 months, might depend on a country.
Read my reply, I said, 3 months.

Bromba said:
So it's not an outrageous thing to expect this. Actually it's an incentive for the vendor to service products timely, rather than delay.
Read my first reply.

Bromba said:
There are supermarkets with good logistics that can arrange for timely re-supply of their stocks. And there are supermarkets with bad logistics that have empty shelves for long time after an item is sold out. Guess which supermarket is better?
Supermarkets hold stock as they know they can clear it, but for mechanics and electronics, what if they can't clear? In the sense of such, wouldn't it better to stock up when necessary? Spare parts are not expendables, they have a cost, it's replacing a part that's faulty, unlike food, they can be thrown away or resold cheaply.

Bromba said:
This is clearly a question of quality of service. Nikon is a famous global brand claiming professionalism and quality for which they charge their customers dearly. It's only natural that in return their customers will expect professional and quality service.
Yes, Nikon is famous and professional in their equipment, to call it 'charge ... dearly', I believe there are more expensive items sold out there than Nikon.

Professional and quality service doesn't equate 1) shorter turn around time, 2) store lots of spares.

xmen2003 said:
Once again, another case of Nikon's poor QC. There are just too many to ignore. :thumbsd: :thumbsd:
Define many.

espn said:
Define many.

A problem that appears too often to go unnoticed. I don't see such problems from other camera manufacturer. Anyway you are always pro-nikon so I guess many to you would be > 90%. ;p

xmen2003 said:
A problem that appears too often to go unnoticed. I don't see such problems from other camera manufacturer. Anyway you are always pro-nikon so I guess many to you would be > 90%. ;p
Too often? You have how many idea how many sets are sold for D70 since it was launched?? Try counting those that have problems, do your maths, you will see it's not 'too many'. It's too many just because you read a lot of it. Not seeing such problems with other camera manufacturer, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Whether I'm pro-nikon or not I don't think it's relevant, I'm after all a D70 owner myself.

I don't want to reply anymore... this is getting nowhere.

espn said:
Supermarkets hold stock as they know they can clear it, but for mechanics and electronics, what if they can't clear? In the sense of such, wouldn't it better to stock up when necessary? Spare parts are not expendables, they have a cost, it's replacing a part that's faulty, unlike food, they can be thrown away or resold cheaply.

Iam in logistic biz for long and let me tell you this, DELL who has more spares and products in the market than Nikon does have a superb logistics tie ups with companies and DELL doesnt stock any spares, its the logistics companies who does that and ship to the place where DELL support personal needs to attend. Nikon can also set up ties like that, but they want to maintain their own stocks which sometimes gives rise to increasing lead times.

Another thing i like to let you know that, if nikon is maintaining the stock they should have a cut off point where the stock should be reordered before it runs off. Seems like there is something wrong somewhere big time.

camera and computer.. even though both are still electronics, but in terms of being more difficult to produce stuffs... camera stuffs is more difficult to produce rather the computer parts. it takes time for camera spare parts to be produced.

no point cursing and swearing at the QC of nikon. Nikon produces good cameras. and if it should fail. at least Nikon is getting the camera serviced.

t-loaning u cameras ? not as if u are a professional that without a camera a day will kill. T-loan u a camera is unless u are a NPS member.

y complain ? D70 has reported problems. but there are many pple who are still using them without any complains. the only factor is because the luck isnt there. u've gt urself a faulty camera and u sent it back in time so it can be serviced.

no point complaining on Nikon products. i myself has been a nikon supporter for longer den u, and theres nothing wrong with my products so far. and i am happy with their service.

the race for quality has no finishing point. but the race for quantity does. therefore wait is all u can do if u wan ur camera properly serviced where it should.

And if u are not happy with Nikon's way of system, u can always sell the serviced body and jump camp.

I am not flaming anyone of u here, but sometimes be more rational when u say about the QC of Nikon. pls do not tell me u do not make mistakes in ur work and dun tell me u are very consistent in ur work cuz its hard to maintain it. therefore if nikon has or did make a mistake, be more understanding. they are trying their best to fulfill ur requirements too...

be more understanding... ;)

I think you can try to explain to the service manager that you are going oversea and you need a t-loan. Speak to them nicely and I think they can work out something for you when you are sincere with them.

I think Nikon also want faces and they need your business too! So .....

Now is too late to flame anybody and what you want is a t-loan to solve your immediate problem.

So be cool and relax!

Cheers ;)

i sense people getting ready to draw their lightsabres out... :bigeyes:

jonlou said:
i sense people getting ready to draw their lightsabres out... :bigeyes:

:haha: :haha: i will nt draw my saber out for nothing... save the batteries la... lol...

" I sense a disturbance in the Force "

Nikon's QC has been discussed over and over already with people throwing stats and everything.

I guess Nikon won't visit this site unless they want to stop some rumour from leaking. Like the D50/D70s thread.

yanyewkay said:
Nikon's QC has been discussed over and over already with people throwing stats and everything.

I guess Nikon won't visit this site unless they want to stop some rumour from leaking. Like the D50/D70s thread.

precisely, its juz another unhappy fellow tats all. no nid to get over concerned in this either...we shouldnt express our concerns on the QC thingy..

frankly speaking, i stll prefer Nikon to other brands in terms of the built, features..etc.

but was just sad that my camera 'died'...and was even more depressed when i get to know of their out-of-stock thingy...sigh..its like a double-suay to me. now that i learnt that they are unsure of when the stock is coming or when they can finish the repair gives me a triple-suay to me, because i will be flying to Vietnam for holiday soon...

now if my gf knows that i spend thousands of dollars on a toy that spoils within a month..she will kill me...sigh...she will rather say.."you should have bought a lot of things with that money!" suay to the power of max...

can someone just give me a 4-digit numbers? ....i try to buy 4D with it..if it strike first prize..maybe it will take away my suayness or i can buy a new camera before my trip then...

Status
Not open for further replies.