D70 + SB80DX can work properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

checker

Dec 29, 2003
Singapore West
Visit site
Hi,
I'm having issues with my 80Dx and D70. The flash doesn't seem to function properly. I can only use the flash using auto mode, and the ISO and focal length shown on the flash doesn't change no matter how I change them on the camera body. Could it be my flash spoilt or 80dx doesn't work with D70?
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Hi dude,

Too bad for you... D70 uses i-TTL, latest tech in which only the SB600 and SB800 supports. I'm also using 80DX and i wanted to get a D70 as a backup cam (to my S2). :D

But when I found out the 80DX can't be use on D70 (TTL function), I was turned off liaoz. :( U can still use 80DX on D70, just switch the flash mode to A or M. But NO i-TTL on D70 wif your 80DX. But abit (or very) troublesome lar... :D Or like what that guy told me, "Buy a SB800 lor!!" :bsmilie:

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Yah...i understand the TTL mode cannot use. But my auto mode cannot even function also leh.... is it suppose to be able to function properly in Auto mode? or is it not okay>??

It only functions in Auto mode, and not Auto Aperture mode, so you will have to set your aperture/iso/flash head zoom etc on the flash manually.

I have tried using the D70 and SB-28DX in Auto mode - shots came out ok

You just have to bear with the inconvenience of manually adjusting the setting on the SB80. You may want to off load the SB80 and change to a SB600 (SB800 if $$ is no problem) instead

I was using the SB28 before changed to SB800, this is the trick I did:
1. Set the SB28 to only Auto Mode,
2. Set the apperture of SB28 to 5.6 (Since you are using flash, 5.6 is good setting)
3. Set the ISO of SB28 to 400. To set apperture, you must remove SB28 from the camera mount, off then on, at that instance you can set the ISO of SB28.

Now that you know your SB28 is set to F5.6, ISO400, keep this setting permanent, when you want to use the flash with D70, set D70 to "M" mode, set D70 to F5.6, ISO400 and speed 60, you should be able to get good shots most of the time. It is better to fix SB28 at one setting, because it is easier to adjust D70 setting, and since you know the setting of SB28, you won make mistake.

I am not familar with SB80, but I assume it is quite similar to SB28. When not using the flash, just change the dial of D70 to your preference "Auto", "A", "S" or even "M".

Hope this help.

Status
Not open for further replies.