D70 or D50 for IR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsks

Nov 7, 2005
Since my new D200 cannnot take IR pictures, I'm thinking to get either a used D70 or a new D50 for IR photos. Any suggestions which I shoud get?

D200 cannot take IR?? anyone can confirm that? just curious...;p

Still testing lah but no time and no sun.
Sun playing hide and seek leh, I free no sun got sun I not free !! :angry:
So far with Hoya R72 very difficult and even can sur long exposure.
Edmund LP can do white balance and also take pic but not very conclusive.
I will have to test with Cokin later.

PandaOng said:

Dennis said:
Still testing lah but no time and no sun.
Sun playing hide and seek leh, I free no sun got sun I not free !! :angry:
So far with Hoya R72 very difficult and even can sur long exposure.
Edmund LP can do white balance and also take pic but not very conclusive.
I will have to test with Cokin later.

Try using ELP to get CWB and then use R72 to take IR.
See how's the effect?

PandaOng said:

I tried setting it up with Pre WB, but keeps getting 'no good' message. I also tried 2000K WB, but the photos turn out very blue.

hsks said:
I tried setting it up with Pre WB, but keeps getting 'no good' message. I also tried 2000K WB, but the photos turn out very blue.

Which mode did you set When setting the Pre WB? Did you try using A-Mode or P-Mode? I experienced it before getting "NG" for CWB in M-mode when I started IR. It needs to set the correct exposure to make the correct reading.

Cheers!

hsks said:
Since my new D200 cannnot take IR pictures, I'm thinking to get either a used D70 or a new D50 for IR photos. Any suggestions which I shoud get?

woah... u r rich manz.....

photoexpress said:
Which mode did you set When setting the Pre WB? Did you try using A-Mode or P-Mode? I experienced it before getting "NG" for CWB in M-mode when I started IR. It needs to set the correct exposure to make the correct reading.

Cheers!

Thanks for your reply Photoexpress. I had it on P mode when I set the Pre WB, but I kept getting 'no good' result. Any ideas?

hsks said:
Thanks for your reply Photoexpress. I had it on P mode when I set the Pre WB, but I kept getting 'no good' result. Any ideas?
Have you tried doing a manual exposure for the CWB? What is the D200's "normal" exposure time for an IR photo? If it takes 5 seconds to capture a reasonably exposed IR shot, you'd need about the same amount of time +/- to capture a CWB.

Cheers,
Matt

Check with Dennis, he mentioned that he was unsuccessful with CWB with R72.

I tried all modes liow but still having problems. Anyway setting WB in any mode also should be the same, you should not need correct exposure leh (as in same exposure as the photo taking or do you).
I will try out suggestion by Ark to use ELP and than R72 and see.

photoexpress said:

Cheers!

Dennis said:
I tried all modes liow but still having problems. Anyway setting WB in any mode also should be the same, you should not need correct exposure leh (as in same exposure as the photo taking or do you).
I will try out suggestion by Ark to use ELP and than R72 and see.

:think: Strange... I tried before taking CWB on M-mode for my D100. If my exposure with the filter on is negative in M-mode, it will give NG. It's only successful if it's set to correct exposure (+0 or slightly more). :dunno: A & P mode is okay without any setting.

photoexpress said:
:think: Strange... I tried before taking CWB on M-mode for my D100. If my exposure with the filter on is negative in M-mode, it will give NG. It's only successful if it's set to correct exposure (+0 or slightly more). :dunno: A & P mode is okay without any setting.

Hmm... With D70, I usually use P mode without exposure compensation.
Will only have prob when the sky is too dark.

Dennis, think can keep D200 first, next 2 days got rain :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.