D70 Kit lens VS Tamron AF 28-75

D70 Kit lens or Tamron AF 28 -75 ?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosu_John said:
Thank you nightwolf,

It has definetly been most helpful. And at a price of $399 from CP's stock clearing sale/promotion, one couldn't complain more!

I will be reading up and seeing if I can find more reviews between this and the Tamron before finally buying it. And of course I will be selling away my 18-70 Kit Lens to finance this. Any takers? :blah:

I just hope the promotion lasts till my exams end on the 29th.

gosu_john - a kind soul just told me abt some front-focusing problem with the tokina lens from CP. it happened on another canon-mount lens. hold ur horses, if u want to buy? i'm going to test it out tonite. sorry abt dat! dun want to waste ur time and money, if u buying. :embrass: pia seh....

Gosu_John said:
What can I say? Thank you Thomas for the helpful resources you have dug out. :thumbsup:

Now I have to consider if its worth paying the extra 250 dollars for its lesser build quality and better sharpness. The kit lens is definetly going! :devil:
Hi,
I just test once tamron 28-75mm/Eos 5 with film (bought based on Thomas good advice recently,from AP $600,after hesitating long with L price/fame),compared to film 50mm f1.4/eos 5.
My humble view from even 4R print:
sharpness-sharper than my previous sigma 70-300mm apo & EF 28-135mm IS
-cant see any difference with 50mm,of course not blow bigger to compare
-concluded tamron is sharper than all good consumer zoom,equal to prime, for me at least at smaller print,I got no money for L zoom to compare anyway,but based on above can assume that equal to L zoom for my 4R print.

color-punchy/bolder than all my consumer zoom,but I feel that 50mm f1.4 is little,little bit more punchy color at least to my eyes on my 4R.Only thing I like is it warm up little bit on landscape without any filter(tint of yellowish,bit),
which is good cos I use only cir.PL,no need 81A filter for my prefered shooting interest.
BUT if for portrait shoot,be little bit careful,but its ok for DSLR correction.For me,a film user still I dislike the warm tone of skin color,any way I dont like to shoot model also.
L lens /prime is more neutral color,but sharpness/contrast/good color I think is no significant advantage at least for me.(build/usm is another issue of course)

If i were you, I would get the 18-70, the range is just nice. 28mm is not wide enough.
My personal shooting style is I try to use flash...either diffused or bounce it..anyway at that range even up to 100mm I supposed the flash can reach the object.. y not make use of it? Unless u r a hardcore low light shooter :)

1 thing u might want to check : The optics quality - contrast and sharpness btw the 2 lens.

hi fattlee! congrats on ur purchase! if the lens makes u happy, i osso happy :bsmilie: maybe u can consider getting nikon 12-24 next :bigeyes:

yah i osso agree that the warmish cast not so good for natural skin tones... but i like taking landscape shots with it, so it definitely helps make everything warmer and more vibrant... but since gosu using for digital, this is a non issue... with film i guess need to worry abt it...

hmm im really begning to soudn like tamron salesman.. hahahaha ... i wish i was, then at least maybe get a cut for every tamron sold!!

WRT gosu_john's earlier question on tokina lens.

gosu_john - i followed some senior's instructions to do a test on my tokina lens (canon mount) on front focusing problems. it turned out my lens was slightly front focused. but, the problem is quite slight and easily rectified using USM in PS. caveat - 10D's pics straight out of cam tends to be a little soft. i dun do any in-camera sharpening. so the results are really meant for my cam. the problem with my lens is minor and i can live with it.

if u are thinking of tokina, do bear this in mind. of course, no lens is perfect. so, for a peace of mind, do test it out at CP if u buying? ;)

oppssss.....

i had some doubts over the tokina. so ran a few test shots using my wife as a subject. looks like the front focusing problems on my lens is quite bad. looks like i've to bring it back to CP for a replacement.

sorry for the earlier info. very pia seh... :embrass:

Thank you all for your kind contributions and suggestions. :thumbsup:

fatlee: Yes I've read online that the Tamron's sharpness is someone to be wowed about. And the warmer reproduction is a point of consideration.

thomas: You are really doing a good job of a salesman eh? :)

nightwolf: Yea, thanks for pointing it out to me before I buy it. I have since read on nikonians.org and various other sites of this quality control problem with Tokina. Users have accounted experiences where they have had to return up to 3 sets of lenses before getting a spot on one. :think: But after that they were very happy with their purchase. I will definetly check out the focussing if I do decide to buy it.

I've done a little summary of my own regarding the Tokina, Tamron and the Nikon Kit Lens.

Sharpness wise the Nikon is not up to par with the Tokina and Tamron as seen on various user's opinions.

The Tokina has a constant zoom volume meaning it doesn't extend at the zoom end, but the Tamron and Nikon does. This means less dust inside your lens and better handling.

The Tokina is significantly heavier, coincidentally they have 2 different models the 28-70 and the 28-80. The Nikon being the lightest. And the Tamron boasting the title of the world's lightest mid zoom lens. Build wise, Tokina is heavier because of the metal components used in design, the old school would appeal to this but personally I would rather not carry a tank around. :sweat:

The minimum working distance is roughly 30cm for the Nikon and the Tamron but a longer 70cm for both the Tokina models. These are constant values throughout the zoom ranges. This would mean better macro capability for the Nikon and Tamron but I wouldn't think I would be using this for macro shots. I have a 105 micro Nikkor for that. But that is personal choice.

All lenses show significant softness when shot at 2.8 and the Tamron reproduces a reddish overcase/warmness in its photos especially at the 2.8 end. Other than that, sharpness I would say Tamron and Tokina are equally good.

I'm not sure why but Tokina has a smaller user base than Tamron. An interesting fact is that Tokina was started by a group of ex-Nikon engineers and the brother of the guy who owns Hoya.

Tokina features a fast manual-AF switch that allows users to push a lens ring to switch from MF to AF easily, no fiddling with buttons or knobs. This is in particular to Tokina only.

The handling for Tokina and Tamron are arguably the same, both praises and dislikes from both sides which balances out leaving it to user's own preference.

Price wise internationally they are in the same range. But in Singapore, CP is currently selling at $399 for the 28-70, and $600 for the Tamron, and about $400 for the Nikon.

My main deciding factor is currently the weight since the optics are not an issue. Except for the quality control problem Tokina has, buyer beware!

Hope this thread helps all potential buyers deciding between the Tokina 28-70 or 28-80 and the Tamron 28-70. The Nikon 18-70 was thrown in for comparison's sake. :)

nice summary!

i was actually going to add onto my thread.

i did a test shoot with my wife. at f2.8, the image is soft even after sharpening. however, at f2.8, i will really have to be careful where i'm focusing becos the DOF is very shallow. i suspect the front focusing could be more pronounced on my test shots becos of this.

at f4, the image becomes sharper throughout. for both shots, i was using ISO 100, 1/125sec, at 70mm with flash (FEC -1), hand-holding.

so, i really begin to wonder if its my lens' problem or my wrong area of focus dats causing the softness. can anyone help? sorry for the OT. :embrass:

huh, fast af switch? no wor, u have to change ur cam from af to mf, then switch the clutch to mf for the lens to work wor. if u leave the clutch in mf and try to do af on ur camera, it will cause alot of strain on the af motor. the gd thing abt the clutch is that the motor doesn't have to drive the focusing ring, thus can focus really fast for a non usm/swm lens.

~MooEy~

MooEy said:
huh, fast af switch? no wor, u have to change ur cam from af to mf, then switch the clutch to mf for the lens to work wor. if u leave the clutch in mf and try to do af on ur camera, it will cause alot of strain on the af motor. the gd thing abt the clutch is that the motor doesn't have to drive the focusing ring, thus can focus really fast for a non usm/swm lens.

~MooEy~

Thanks for pointing that out MooEy. :)

Hmmm

What about the new Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
I've read flattering remarks on that lens
Comparison also made between the sigma and tamron lens, which most ppl and me think that sigma is the winner.
Any1 in singapore can second that opinion? Price wise, sigma is SGD 100 more than the tamron.
However, I have a difficult time to buy it. CP and MS colour dont have the canon mount. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.