D70 Kit lens VS Tamron AF 28-75

D70 Kit lens or Tamron AF 28 -75 ?


Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunger

New Member
Mar 12, 2004
683
0
0
Tampines
#1
Hi All,

I not sure this question been ask b4. But just want to know, for all the DSLR users here, especially Nikon D70 users.

Which lens will you choose? The price different is the Tamron lens is $100 more compared to the kit lens. I know the range is not the same. But still wondering around whether to get the kit lens or the Tamron lens.

The main attraction for the Tamron lens is contant F 2.8 which will give me a lot of flexiblities in low light shooting.

Thanks in advance.
 

Feb 3, 2002
1,741
0
0
Singapore
#2
42mm (28mm equiv on 1.5x body) will cause u some inconveniences (or even shots) when space is really tight. The 18-70 range is a lot more useful - especially if that's the only lens you intend to get at the moment. For low light, you could always get the affordable 50mm 1.8.
 

chunger

New Member
Mar 12, 2004
683
0
0
Tampines
#3
imaginary_number said:
42mm (28mm equiv on 1.5x body) will cause u some inconveniences (or even shots) when space is really tight. The 18-70 range is a lot more useful - especially if that's the only lens you intend to get at the moment. For low light, you could always get the affordable 50mm 1.8.
Hmm not a bad idea too. Never think about that, as you know I do not own a DSLR. So in this way, you guys can give mre some advice from your experience.

Really thanks a lot for your info. :thumbsup:
 

Dec 30, 2002
620
0
0
Visit site
#4
bro i bought the d70 kit. once i got the tamron i never used the kit lens anymore.

like others say, if u are not plannign to buy any othe rlenses, the 18-70 is a good all round.. wide enuff for tour/vacation etc..

but if u want REAL SHARP pic quality at the same price, (not as wide though) get the 28-75. 2.8 stop also is superb. i stopped using primes after i got this.

in my experience, i can't tell teh diff btw my 50/1.8 and the nikon 28-70 and the tamron...

no doubt the nikon is better built and better AF, sharpness wise, the tamron is just as good.

ideally, go for tamron 28-75 and a nikon 12-24. confirm no regrets. every range is covered...

then later on maybe get a 70-200...
 

budiman

New Member
Nov 12, 2004
191
0
0
#5
thomaschan said:
bro i bought the d70 kit. once i got the tamron i never used the kit lens anymore.

like others say, if u are not plannign to buy any othe rlenses, the 18-70 is a good all round.. wide enuff for tour/vacation etc..

but if u want REAL SHARP pic quality at the same price, (not as wide though) get the 28-75. 2.8 stop also is superb. i stopped using primes after i got this.

in my experience, i can't tell teh diff btw my 50/1.8 and the nikon 28-70 and the tamron...

no doubt the nikon is better built and better AF, sharpness wise, the tamron is just as good.

ideally, go for tamron 28-75 and a nikon 12-24. confirm no regrets. every range is covered...

then later on maybe get a 70-200...
Although I owned 300D, I can say that Tamron 28-75 is an excellent walkaround lens, it's on my camera 90% of the time. Most reviews even said that it has the same optic quality to the more expensive Canon L lens (at three times the price!). It's really sharp, color and contrast are also very good. It's definitely much better than 300D kit lens (same here, never use my kit lens afterward).

I find that 28mm (44mm equivalent in film) is wide enough for me. In the past when I solely use the kit lens (18mm-55mm), I notice most of my pictures are taken at 28+ focal length, so the Tamron suits me well in this range.

But I still think you also need 50mm prime (f1.8) for indoors and low light situation. So 50mm f1.8 ($150) and Tamron 28-75 f2.8 ($600) are perfect lenses for both D70 and 300D. If you want to reach farther, then you'll need a telezoom lens (70-200mm or 70-300mm).
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,857
14
38
really MORE diaper changes
#6
hi, chunger!

u can keep both lenses. why not buy the D70+kit lens, then later save up for the 28-75mm. by now, u would have figured that this is an excellent GP lens. :bsmilie: the kit lens has its usefulness too, especially since its a relatively low-cost WA lens for ur D70. a similar spec WA lens (nikkor or 3rd party) would set u back ard $300-$700 dollars (either new or used. my tamron 19-35mm cost me $350 used). it will cost a lot more if u getting 1 of the trinity lens (17-35mm/f2.8).

u may not use the kit lens much after getting the 28-75mm. but, its always good to have a WA lens in ur bag for those grp pics or landscapes. ;)
 

chunger

New Member
Mar 12, 2004
683
0
0
Tampines
#7
Hi Guys,

Thanks for sharing your experience and suggestions. Ok... if I need a WA the cheapeast i can get is more than $300?

How much they are selling the Kit lens separately anyway?
 

Dec 30, 2002
620
0
0
Visit site
#8
yah, the current cheapest WA would be the kit lens.. at 18mm widest..
its arnd 400 i'd say... If u are looking for cheap soln, u shd keep it solely for the wide angle (18mm)

However, if u are willing to splurge 1600, get the nikon 12-24... 12mm is VERY much wider than 18mm... the perspective will kill u!!

but if budget is a concern, keep the 18-70 solely for the wideangle.. its quite a good lens lah in general...

but for optical quality, get the 28-75... its the best u can get.. no kidding! and u will LOVE the const 2.8 aperture.. indoors osso can use no problem....

yah so recap, if u are really shoe string budget, get 28-75+18-70... true got some overlap in zoom range, but the 18 just use it for wide angle. the 28-75 keep for general daily use. u will be really pleased with the quality of the shots.

if got cash, then get 12-24 + 28-75.. superb combi, u dun need anything else... the 12-24 is also famous. at 24mm, its as sharp as a prime.... 12 mm osso darn good...

the tamron is osso prime like stopped down a bit... so u effectively get prime like sharpness for almost all ur entire 12-75 range! with the convenience of zooms!
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#9
hye guys, chunger does not own a DSLR. so the Nikon 18-70 or 12-24 (and other lenses like the Sigma DC series) will result in vignetting on his film bodies at the wide angle end.
 

24bits

New Member
Sep 24, 2004
220
0
0
#11
how about sigma 18-125 only that its aperture not constant :dunno:
personally i hate primes as i cant stand shifting physically and i am too lazy to change lens (unless for a tele like 70-200)
i vote for the tamron or tokina 28-70 for nice range and constant aperture :)
 

benedium

New Member
Jun 19, 2004
1,204
0
0
www.photo.net
#13
if the 28-75 is so good, why not sell the kitlens and buy a wide prime lens. Then you will get super quality wide angle images as good standard range images. Right? How much is an ultra wide prime lens selling for?
 

quekky

Senior Member
Sep 13, 2003
1,400
0
0
www.irphotography.com
#16
mpenza said:
hye guys, chunger does not own a DSLR. so the Nikon 18-70 or 12-24 (and other lenses like the Sigma DC series) will result in vignetting on his film bodies at the wide angle end.
he only got a A80 lah.....

why not consider those DX or EX lenses.... not sure if the 18-50 sigma is good or not, but it's a constant 2.8 too. a 17-55 will be very good rounder lens :devil:
 

chunger

New Member
Mar 12, 2004
683
0
0
Tampines
#17
mpenza said:
hye guys, chunger does not own a DSLR. so the Nikon 18-70 or 12-24 (and other lenses like the Sigma DC series) will result in vignetting on his film bodies at the wide angle end.
Actually i just own a Canon A80, will be getting D70 soon ^_^

Well, thank you guys for sharing your view. I think i will get the Kit lens first as wide and some general use lens. And save up for the Tamron lens. :thumbsup:

BTW how much is the Sigma 18-50 ?
 

scud

Senior Member
Jul 28, 2003
1,808
0
0
Singapore
www.fotolightbox.com
#18
have u ever consider tokina?
i guess that u had made up your mind on tamron.
juz fyi, CP having tokina promotion, WA 19-35 at $199, 28-70 f2.8 at $399.
 

chunger

New Member
Mar 12, 2004
683
0
0
Tampines
#19
scud said:
have u ever consider tokina?
i guess that u had made up your mind on tamron.
juz fyi, CP having tokina promotion, WA 19-35 at $199, 28-70 f2.8 at $399.
Oh.... not a bad set also leh. But is those lenses ok? Seem like very cheap as it clearing stock wor. But i rather get the kit lens for the WA... then the mid range one will do some comparison first b4 decide.

Thanks for the information man.
 

scud

Senior Member
Jul 28, 2003
1,808
0
0
Singapore
www.fotolightbox.com
#20
chunger said:
Oh.... not a bad set also leh. But is those lenses ok? Seem like very cheap as it clearing stock wor. But i rather get the kit lens for the WA... then the mid range one will do some comparison first b4 decide.

Thanks for the information man.
i don know until when is the promo.
earliest bird catches the worms.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom