D70 Focus Screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyNikon

Apr 7, 2005
Bedok North
Hey guys.
I accidentally scratched the focus screen of my D70 with the tip of my blower.
Now I can see a dark line whenever I look through the viewfinder.
It doesn't affect the images but it's getting really irritating each time I see the scratch mark when I'm shooting.

So my question is, has anyone had their D70 focus screen replaced before?Are replacements available at local stores or I can only get one from the Nikon Service Centre?
I have tried ordering one online from Huron Camera (very expensive!) last week.
I also emailed them to check the status of my order but it's been a week and I haven't got any replies yet.

Thanks in advance.

nikon service centre in singapore will replace the screen for $45, which should be cheaper than huron and also includes labour. replacing the screen is theoretically quite a simple procedure but a lot of small things can go wrong - such as dust getting into the viewfinder assembly, more parts getting damaged etc.

I wish the Type K3 prism can be installed in the D70. Any1 had any luck on this? tks.

rayshade said:
I wish the Type K3 prism can be installed in the D70. Any1 had any luck on this? tks.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: u r kidding rite ???

MyNikon said:
Hey guys.
I accidentally scratched the focus screen of my D70 with the tip of my blower.
Now I can see a dark line whenever I look through the viewfinder.
It doesn't affect the images but it's getting really irritating each time I see the scratch mark when I'm shooting.

So my question is, has anyone had their D70 focus screen replaced before?Are replacements available at local stores or I can only get one from the Nikon Service Centre?
I have tried ordering one online from Huron Camera (very expensive!) last week.
I also emailed them to check the status of my order but it's been a week and I haven't got any replies yet.

Thanks in advance.

I had mine scratch as well. It was replace at $45/- at Nikon Singapore.
Really had learn a expensive lesson. Never ever touch your focusing screen no matter how dirty it is.

haha ... I am not so brave to DIY. BTW i have dust inside the prism damn irritating.

rayshade said:
haha ... I am not so brave to DIY. BTW i have dust inside the prism damn irritating.

send to Nikon la... they will know what to do, lol.... go go !!! i going again this friday !! see if i can snatch a D2x brochure... hahaa.. and a D2Hs... hahaha

I just changed my D100 default focus screen to a split screen one. I bought the screen meant for FM2 from camera hospital.. asked a friend to precision cut it to fit my D100 size (which is a few mm smaller).. it's quite an easy job to take out and change.. a pincer do all the job. But finding a D70 split screen might be a little difficult, as it's smaller than the D100 one.

should u need help, do PM 'xpose'.

can post a shot of the view thru your viewfinder? would love to see how it looks like.

behyx said:
I just changed my D100 default focus screen to a split screen one. I bought the screen meant for FM2 from camera hospital.. asked a friend to precision cut it to fit my D100 size (which is a few mm smaller).. it's quite an easy job to take out and change.. a pincer do all the job. But finding a D70 split screen might be a little difficult, as it's smaller than the D100 one.

should u need help, do PM 'xpose'.

I have done it ... A K3 Screen on a D70. You cannot shave off the sides equally as this will throw the prism off center from the center focus box. It has offsets.
More over K3 is not as bright as the original screen and therefore it will make your pic over by 2/3 stop (sometimes its good because D70 always under its pic).

yanyewkay said:
can post a shot of the view thru your viewfinder? would love to see how it looks like.

a very lousy photo.. taken using an old PnS digital camera to take.. i tried the best angle i could to avoid the flare that will show up in the viewfinder.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/behyx/album?.dir=/af93

I deliberately make it not-in-focus so u can see the split of the screen.. viewfinder a little dirty.. :( too much experimenting..

Behyx :eek: this is way COOL!!! Can u start a MO on this one? Let me Kick off

1)rayshade

:D

honestly how long did the process take?

rayshade said:
Behyx :eek: this is way COOL!!! Can u start a MO on this one? Let me Kick off

1)rayshade

:D

honestly how long did the process take?

the process of cutting will depends on xpose. If u wish to know more, PM him..

i think this split screen is great if you use old mechnical cameras way before you buy your new DSLR, and find that the entry level DSLR cheapo focus screen is useless to manual focusing. i'm an example. :D :D

There are many instances when manual focusing will prove itself useful when doing low-light shooting, or macro. I never 100% trust my D100 focus motor.

I concur. Split prism is excellent for manual focus just wih the FM2, FE etc. haha back to old school! BTW I dont think the higher end models incorporate this feature as well. The viewfinder size with Nikon DSLR is another area to be improved on i wish.... any tweak on this on? :D

i read somewhere that the higher end SLRs (not sure digital or not) are often designed so that the focusin screen can be changed easily, according to the preference of the user. by "easily" i mean as easy as changing the batteries (ie open a latch, remove the old screen, slot in the new screen, close latch) without needing any tools etc. can anyone back me on this?

timlim said:
i read somewhere that the higher end SLRs (not sure digital or not) are often designed so that the focusin screen can be changed easily, according to the preference of the user. by "easily" i mean as easy as changing the batteries (ie open a latch, remove the old screen, slot in the new screen, close latch) without needing any tools etc. can anyone back me on this?
True, higher end SLRs like Nikon F6, F100 have interchangeable focus screens. I replaced my film SLR's (not Nikon) screen as described above, the only tool needed is a pair of tweezers push the latch, hold the screen and a box to place it.

That too applys to other manual film SLR with the FM2, FE etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.