D70 / D100 no high speed sync?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprockett

Aug 9, 2002
Visit site
hi guys, does the d70/d100 have no equivalent to canon's high speed sync??

to current d100 users: so u mean the fastest shutter speed u guys are using with flash is 1/250??

damn! i used to use high speed synch quite often. esp when taking macros

sprockett said:
hi guys, does the d70/d100 have no equivalent to canon's high speed sync??

to current d100 users: so u mean the fastest shutter speed u guys are using with flash is 1/250??

damn! i used to use high speed synch quite often. esp when taking macros

D100's fastest syn speed is 1/180 sec.

It's 1/180 for the D100. D2H is the one with 1/250. D70 is 1/500.

Yes you can get high speed sync by cheating on the D100 camera. Get a SB-800, switch to M mode on the D100, set your shutter and fire. It works. :)

wah?
that means if u Tv at 1/1000 with flash, it will default down to 1/180,
but if u M at 1/1000, it can fire at 1/1000?
and this only works with the sb800?

wonder if the d70 will have this cheat...

espn said:

Yes you can get high speed sync by cheating on the D100 camera. Get a SB-800, switch to M mode on the D100, set your shutter and fire. It works. :)

jo3pit said:
espn,

was it tested? and wat's the highest sync?
woohoo... time to sell my sb80dx then...

I tried up to 1/4000s.

espn said:

it works only in M mode? what about shutter priority?

does the above works only on the D series , How about the F series, F80, F90x. Has anyone tried before.... i notice that in the F80 if try to go beyond 1/125 .. the display will start to blink...Does the F90X behave like that also..

There is NO high speed sync (FP) for F80. While for F90X, F100 & F5, you can get it using a flash gun like SB-28 in M mode. I have heard D100's trick from other places as well, but I still doubt it. I mean, although the display is shown 1/4000s, but actually not. (I am not sure about this and have not thought out a way to prove it. Errr.. Maybe a backlight test to see the DOF?)

hmmm this is interesting... if the display shows 1/4000s, but the flash doesnt go into high speed more, the shot will be screwed up (over exposed/underexposed)..

anyone with a d100 tried the highspeed sync cheat and got a nicely sexposed shot?
got pic/exif?

thanks guys!

wanglk said:
There is NO high speed sync (FP) for F80. While for F90X, F100 & F5, you can get it using a flash gun like SB-28 in M mode. I have heard D100's trick from other places as well, but I still doubt it. I mean, although the display is shown 1/4000s, but actually not. (I am not sure about this and have not thought out a way to prove it. Errr.. Maybe a backlight test to see the DOF?)

yah.. that what i mean loh, :D i know the on board flash cant syn to 1/4000. but what i have in doubt is that if we use a flash gun and set it in M mode and shutter speed of 4000. Do you think it will fire off.. and how will the pic come out to be. ??? :think:

mpenza said:
is the M mode on the flash or camera?

Both . should set both into M mode.. that is only logical.. if 1 of them are still in a auto mode. i dun think you can override it with another

If the flash is in M mode then it would be the same as the Manual FP-Sync mode available on F90x and above bodies on the SB25 and above flashes.

In any case, FP-Sync modes are less useful than a true high sync speed. I'd take 1/500 sync over 1/4000 FP-sync if I had to choose.

Luval said:
yah.. that what i mean loh, :D i know the on board flash cant syn to 1/4000. but what i have in doubt is that if we use a flash gun and set it in M mode and shutter speed of 4000. Do you think it will fire off.. and how will the pic come out to be. ??? :think:
Nikon FP is rather cumbersome :thumbsd: (Maybe I should use "was" because with the newly released SB-800 & D2H, it is no longer the case). To use the FP, you definitely need a flash gun (and it needs to be top ones). You need to set the flash gun to M mode and bring out the "FP" word and adjust the aperture and shutter speed to match the distance displayed on the LCD panel of the flash gun. And you can only get this mode with an F90X, F100 or F5. With a F80, you can never tune out this mode. Nikon is smart huh? ;)
If you set the camera shutter to 1/4000 without setting the flash gun to "FP", you will get a typical "out-of-sync" pattern. :nono:

BTW, if talk about F80, the shutter speed won't be able to set faster than 1/125s with SB-28 attached.

wanglk said:
BTW, if talk about F80, the shutter speed won't be able to set faster than 1/125s with SB-28 attached.

how abt getting the higher end Flash gun, SB800 . Will it go beyond 1/125... anyone out there try before.. i just try on my camera n flash... using SB 25 .. but wun work

Luval said:
how abt getting the higher end Flash gun, SB800 . Will it go beyond 1/125... anyone out there try before.. i just try on my camera n flash... using SB 25 .. but wun work
No. :( The auto-FP function of the SB800 only work with newer bodies with CLS feature (which currently only D2H. Even the upcoming D70 also cannot). Some more, the manual FP is absent from SB800. That means, even F5 won't get FP with SB800. :bheart:

Since you guys mentioned about D2H, how about a D1X which comes with a high speed sync of 1/500? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.