d5 has poorer dr than d810

dniwkh

Mar 19, 2012
wow, not that i am buying d5 but i was hoping to buy the d810 replacement.

this is a serious step backwards, i will take higher base iso dr over better high iso performance anyday.

why did nikon go this route? do other people think differently? is there really a demand for more high iso vs base iso dr?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/9402203921/nikon-d5-shows-drop-in-dynamic-range

IMO, photo journalists and sport photographers require higher ISO to freeze subjects' actions under low light conditions. It would be useless if the image is blur even though the DR is good when shoot at lower ISO.

For low ISO, one is spoiled for choice and the form factor (I.e., bulk) of the D5 makes it less than ideal for low ISO work especially with static subjects.

Last edited:
" Even at a modest 3 stop push, we see the D5 has already contributed a considerable amount of noise to its low ISO images compared to the 24MP D750. After a 5 stop push the gap widens, with the D750's 5 stop file looking more like the 3 stop file from the D5. In fact, the D5's performance closely resembles the performance seen from the Canon 6D, with just a bit more color noise showing in the 6D's file.

After very aggressive pushes, an interesting series of bands appears at the top and bottom of the image. We don't know what's causing this additional noise (which appears to be confined to specific read-out rows) but it's interesting to note. "

YEAH Quite concerning really....

IMO, photo journalists and sport photographers require higher ISO to freeze subjects' actions under low light conditions. It would be useless if the image is blur even though the DR is good when shoot at lower ISO.

D5 is a pro camera that is not made only for high speed shooting but many professionals use the pro cameras for studios and portraits, Iam taken aback when I read this article and I do hope Nikon can address this issue if it is really true. Some fast actions shots like panning of vehicles can also be shot at lower shutter speed while maintain lower ISO.

errr. virtually every (if not all) camera in existence has poorer DR than a D810.

Nikon very clever.
maybe they want consumers to keep the D4/D4S while also getting the D5 for different lightings.

D5 is a pro camera that is not made only for high speed shooting but many professionals use the pro cameras for studios and portraits, Iam taken aback when I read this article and I do hope Nikon can address this issue if it is really true. Some fast actions shots like panning of vehicles can also be shot at lower shutter speed while maintain lower ISO.

Ya man... Just like the new Hasselblad H6D calling itself "professional" when it only do 2.5 fps. How to do pro sports shoot like that?

Ya man... Just like the new Hasselblad H6D calling itself "professional" when it only do 2.5 fps. How to do pro sports shoot like that?
haven't come across any sports shooters using MF actually

Nikon very clever.
maybe they want consumers to keep the D4/D4S while also getting the D5 for different lightings.

They want users to keep every Nikon camera for a specific purpose ......... :thumbsup: